hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore) 9 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 9 results in 4 document sections:

, officers and crew, jumping into the water and wading to the dry land, making their escape into the woods. Before the crew jumped, our men fired into the boat, and landed about twenty shots into the pilot-house and Texas. This firing hastened the speed of the fleeing. About this time the most of the cavalry cast of Van Buren, went in pursuit of the other two steamboats, which were then almost rounding the point; only Major Bauzof's command, consisting of company A, First Missouri, and Major McKee's command of the Seventh Missouri volunteer cavalry, remaining opposite the Frederick Nortrebe. After a short time there appeared three persons opposite, one of them carrying a white flag. On our signal, they crossed over to this side in a skiff. General Blunt, who had arrived on the spot in the mean time, and his Adjutant-General, Lieutenant-Colonel Moonlight, and some other officers, jumped into the skiff and cared back to the skiff, with intentions to take a trip on the F. Nortreb
Company G, Capt. Cameron, instantly responded, and was placed under command of Major Atkinson, of the Fiftieth Indiana, and recaptured the train, taking several prisoners, among whom were Major Strange, General Forrest's Adjutant-General; Colonel McKee, his aid, and one or two other officers. This was scarcely accomplished, when I learned that you had arrived from Huntington with Col. Fuller's brigade, and I soon saw his guns moving into position. It is reported to me by Lieut.-Col. Wellf to a Federal officer he captured, but subsequently released, was fully one thousand. Among the killed were Colonel Nappier, a Lieutenant-Colonel and a Major, names not learned. Among the prisoners were Forrest's Adjutant-General Strange, Colonel McKee, an aid of Forrest's, Colonel Cox of the Tennessee militia, Major Lee, and fifteen other line and commissioned officers. We also captured four hundred men, six guns, all their caissons, limbers and contents, four hundred or five hundred hors
ded the detail of his men who were on board as sharp-shooters. The men were detailed from the Sibley brigade; all the brigade having stepped forward on a call for volunteers, and being anxious to take part in the affair. Beside these, there were several volunteers from among our citizens. The full number of men was about one hundred and fifty. The Neptune left here the morning of the same day with the Bayou City. The Lucy Gwin accompanied the expedition as tender, under command of Major A. McKee, and the John E. Carr, also tender, under command of Captain John Y. Lawless. On the Carr there were a number of troops and volunteers, and on the Gwin quite a number of spectators, who went prepared to take a hand in the fight if their services were required. In addition to these there were some other vessels — the cuter Dodge, the Royal Yacht, etc., that did not come into the action. The whole naval force was under the command of Major Leon Smith, who was admirably fitted for th
they broke in the same way, and just as the last of the column wheeled off to the right, a ranger noticed his colors, and swinging himself clear over to one side, gathered them up and rode off. And now a piteous scene presented itself — the ground was strewn with dead and wounded rebels, the wounding asking beseechingly for water. For God's sake, water! and though the fight was not over, our men procured a little in a ravine near by, and gave it to them. The Captain proved to be Captain McKee, company B, Twenty-first Texas, a large man weighing about two hundred and twenty-five pounds. He informed us it was Colonel Carter's brigade, and that his regiment had never before been repulsed in a charge. Upon questioning him, we also learned that Colonel Clayton had fell back west of the bridge, and that there were two brigades between us; also that they intended to cut us off from the crossing at Hugh's Ferry. In a few minutes they attempted a third charge, but only came part way