hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 17 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones). You can also browse the collection for D. C. Meade or search for D. C. Meade in all documents.

Your search returned 9 results in 4 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), War Diary of Capt. Robert Emory Park, Twelfth Alabama Regiment. January 28th, 1863January 27th, 1864. (search)
day. Pierce Ware returned to company in time for the fight. Our forces fought Meade's command all day, and the cannonading was wonderfully distinct and terrific. t the old camp ground we occupied before our tramp to Bristow Station after General Meade in October. Just one month from the time we left we returned. As sleep haunder. Nov. 18. Completed our rude fortifications, and are ready to welcome Meade and his cohorts to hospitable graves. Nov. 19 and 20. Added to strength of t 2 o'clock A. M. were suddenly aroused and hurried towards Jacob's Ford, where Meade had crossed a part of his army. Battle of Locust Grove. Nov. 27. In afterkably quiet day. Not a cannon shot fired and scarcely a report from a musket. Meade was plainly making some movement, but we could not discover what. The intenselsuffered more in my life Dec. 2. We learned, not much to our surprise, that Meade had crossed most of his forces at Jacob's and Germanna Fords, north of the Rapi
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The Battle and campaign of Gettysburg. (search)
of Ewell's Corps had not suffered much and his men, as I saw them, were in high spirits. General Early had hardly suffered at all and General Johnson had not been in the fight, only reaching the field by sundown. What were the enemy's condition and movements? July 1st. At 3 P. M. the 1st and 11th Corps had been dispersed, except Steinwehr's Division of 3 or 4000 men, a reserve left on Cemetery Hill. General Hancock reached Cemetery Hill in person about 4:30, and at once advised General Meade to bring his whole army there. Slocum's 12th Corps arrived about 4:30 P. M. and was posted on the right (Federal right). Sickles with only Birney's Division, 3rd Corps, arrived about 5 P. M. and formed on the left of 1st Corps. These troops had all made forced marches, and were not in fighting order. General Wadsworth's Division took possession of Culps Hill about sundown. The other corps—12th, Slocum's; 2nd, Hancock's; 5th, Sykes'; 6th, Sedgewick's—arrived late in the night and ea
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.14 (search)
his artillery camp at a fine spring on the farm of the late John N. Shields, of Richmond, where he commenced his work. Troops had been at that location previously and it was known as Camp Jackson. Knowing that the artillery camp would soon be changed to Camp Lee, where were stores and staff officers, a temporary organization sufficed at Camp Jackson. On taking command at Camp Lee, December, 1861, Colonel Shields found Dr. Memminger, surgeon; Major John C. Maynard, quartermaster; Captain D. C. Meade, commissary; Lieutenant West, of Georgia, adjutant, and Rev. Dr. M. D. Hoge, chaplain. Companies reported very rapidly for instruction and equipment till about July, 1862, the conscription law having taken the place of replenishing the army by the assignment of those liable to service under that law. Some of the batteries: In all, there were seventy-five batteries trained and equipped and sent to the field from Camp Lee during the time which elapsed between November, 1861,
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 26. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.21 (search)
us placing the responsibility squarely upon the shoulders of General Lee. We have, in support of this, the statement of Rev. Mr. Edwards, Episcopal clergyman of Hagerstown, who was taken as a hostage after Chambersburg had been destroyed. He was brought to General Early's headquarters at Williamsport, and there paroled to effect his exchange. General Early there informed him that he had directed Chambersburg to be burned in retaliation for the destruction of property in Virginia by Grant, Meade and Hunter, and that the account was now square. They seemed to think we were jesting and bluffing. They asked for time to consider, which was understood by our men to gain time so that Averil and Couch could reach there. An hour was granted, at the expiration of which they (the citizens and Council) announced that that amount of money was not in the town, and they would not pay it if they could. A detail was at once made and ordered to fire the town, and in one hour the business porti