Hinsdale contributed in garments and money for the soldiers, independent of their own labor, to the value of three hundred and fifty dollars.
Incorporated June 21, 1765.
Population in 1860, 1,308; in 1865, 1,292.
Valuation in 1860, $641,549; in 1865, $661,048.
The selectmen in 1861 were Stephen T. Whipple, William A. Talcott, Ezra H. Sherman; in 1862 and 1863, Stephen T. Whipple, Ezra H. Sherman, Luther H. Washburn; in 1864, Stephen T. Whipple, Jared D. Northale, William H. Meade.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was William A. Fuller.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Jedediah W. Newton; in 1864, William A. Fuller; in 1865, Charles B. Whitney.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 10th of December; at which the selectmen were authorized to expend such sums from the treasury as they may deem necessary for the relief of the families of volunteers, who are in the military ser