Your search returned 55 results in 22 document sections:

1 2 3
The Atlanta (Georgia) Campaign: May 1 - September 8, 1864., Part I: General Report. (ed. Maj. George B. Davis, Mr. Leslie J. Perry, Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley), chapter 44 (search)
hour or two afterward heard heavy firing in that direction. Knowing then that re-enforcements had arrived, my men were ordered to charge toward the Spring Place road, and with an uncommon cheering they rushed out of the works and drove the enemy, with a severe loss to him, out of sight. My command consisted of the following troops: 288 Second Missouri Volunteer Infantry, under command of Lieut. Col. A. Beck; 94 convalescents, under command of Major Carroll, Second Missouri Volunteers; 30 detachment wagon train; 20 General Thomas' scouts; 52 Seventh Kentucky Cavalry, under command of Capt. C. C. Mc- Neely. The casualties in my command were: Killed, 5 men; wounded, 1 officer, 11 men; missing, I officer, 22 men. All officers and men behaved in such a gallant spirit that to discriminate would be wrong. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, B. Laiboldt, EColonel Second Missouri Volunteers, Commanding Post. Ass.Adjt. Ajt. En., District of Etowah, Chattanooga, Tenn.
low, March 21, 1862. Col. Thomas Jordan, Assistant Adjutant-General: sir: In compliance with your telegram of this date I forward, via Memphis, a report of this command, including negro laborers and some half dozen men or more belonging to Captains Neely's and Haywood's cavalry. Report not found. What we most need here is the remainder of the ten columbiads (four are here) which I learn have been ordered here, and their carriages; parts of carriages have arrived. If not already done, gunboat ran by the island on Friday night and two more on Sunday night; our batteries were abandoned and spiked Monday and the infantry force surrendered on Tuesday morning; a good many poor made their escape and are coming in here daily. Captain Neely's company arrived here to-day; Haywood's company not yet arrived. I would respectfully request that Captain Robertson's company be ordered here at once, as I need them very much. I have lost the copies of my orders and my report of the Unio
William Tecumseh Sherman, Memoirs of General William T. Sherman ., volume 1, chapter 14 (search)
omas Kilby Smith, and Brigadier-General Hugh Ewing. The Third Division, commanded by Brigadier-General J. M. Tuttle; and his three brigades by Brigadier-General R. P. Buckland, Colonel J. A. Mower, and Brigadier-General John E. Smith. My own staff then embraced: Dayton, McCoy, and Hill, aides; J. H. Hammond, assistant adjutant-general; Sanger, inspector-general; McFeeley, commissary; J. Condit Smith, quartermaster; Charles McMillan, medical director; Ezra Taylor, chief of artillery;----Neely, ordnance-officer; Jenney and Pitzman, engineers. By this time it had become thoroughly demonstrated that we could not divert the main river Mississippi, or get practicable access to the east bank of the Yazoo, in the rear of Vicksburg, by any of the passes; and we were all in the habit of discussing the various chances of the future. General Grant's headquarters were at Milliken's Bend, in tents, and his army was strung along the river all the way from Young's Point up to Lake Providenc
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 7. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Meeting at the White Sulphur Springs. (search)
oved me because I couldn't keep Forrest out of West Tennessee, but Washburn couldn't keep him out of his bedroom. The defeat of Sturgis. Forrest reached Tupelo, Mississippi, on the 5th of May, 1864, and was busily engaged in reorganizing his command, now considerably increased by recruits and the addition of General Gholson's brigade, recently converted from State into Confederate troops. On the 26th, by order of General S. D. Lee, Deparment Commander, Chalmers, with McCulloch's and Neely's brigades was ordered to Monte Vallo. Alabama, to protect the iron works of that region. On the 31st Forrest started with Buford's division for Tuscumbia to assist Roddy in meeting a movement in that quarter, and had reached Russellville, Alabama, when he received information that Sturgis, with eight thousand infantry, five thousand cavalry and six batteries, was moving from Memphis into Mississippi, parallel with the Memphis and Charleston railroad. Forrest began at once to concentrate
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 8. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Report of General Forrest of operations against W. Sooy Smith in February, 1864. (search)
Brigadier-General Chalmers, commanding division, to send Forrest's brigade to Aberdeen, or in that direction, to meet and ascertain the movements of the enemy, and also with McCulloch's brigade of his division and Richardson's brigade, under Colonel Neely, to move out to West Point — leaving General Richardson at Starkville in command of all the dismounted men of the command, to protect my wagon train, and send out scouts in the direction of Houston in order to give timely notice, should the e to move up all his force to the bridge across Line creek, eight miles of Starkville and four miles in my rear; also to Colonel Barteau to move across the Tombigbee, to keep on the flank, and, if possible, to gain the enemy's rear. I ordered Colonel Neely to move his (Richardson's) brigade at once, and to guard all the ferries and fords across Tibbee river from the mouth of Line creek to Tibbee station; sending Major-General Gholson and the State forces under his commond to Palo Alto, to watch
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 8. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), General Chalmers' report of operations of cavalry division on line of Memphis and Charleston R. R., from 5th to 18th October, 1863. (search)
d many of their dead and wounded from the field while the fight was going on, but it is reported by reliable persons, who had an opportunity of knowing, to have been forty-seven killed and one hundred and three wounded, besides five prisoners, whom we brought off. Colonel Richardson joined me on the night of the 8th instant with his brigade, consisting of the Twelfth Mississippi cavalry (Colonel Inge), Twelfth Tennessee cavalry (Lieutenant-Colonel Green), Thirteenth Tennessee cavalry (Colonel Neely), Fourteenth Tennessee cavalry (Colonel Stuart), the Reneau battery of two six-pounders (Captain Palmer), and the Buckner battery of four steel breech-loading two-pounders (Lieutenant Holt), the whole amounting to about nine hundred and fifty men. The enemy were reinforced at La Grange by the Sixth and Ninth Illinois and Third Michigan cavalry, and on the following evening (9th) the whole force, amounting to nine regiments of mounted men and nine pieces of artillery, under the command of
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Lewis, Meriwether (search)
ed to the Chickasaw Bluffs, where he arrived on Sept. 16, 1809, with a view of continuing his journey thence by water. Mr. Neely, agent of the United States with the Chickasaw Indians, arriving there two days after, found him extremely indisposed, change his mind, and to take his course by land through the Chickasaw country. Although he appeared somewhat relieved, Mr. Neely kindly determined to accompany and watch over him. Unfortunately, at their encampment, after having passed the Tennessee one day's journey, they lost two horses, which obliging Mr. Neely to halt for their recovery, the governor proceeded, under a promise to wait for him at the house of the first white inhabitant on his road. He stopped at the house of a Mr. Grinderoms of derangement she discovered, gave him up the house, and retired to rest herself in an out-house, the governor's and Neely's servants lodging in another. About three o'clock in the night he did the deed which plunged his friends into afflictio
forces necessary to hold those two now much endangered posts. General Beauregard's letter to General Bragg, of March 15th, see Appendix. His order was first delayed on account of an earnest appeal made to him by General McCown, but was renewed and carried out on the 18th, the need being absolute for a garrison at Fort Pillow, and no other troops being then available. The force thus transferred thither consisted of five regiments of infantry, two light batteries of six guns each, and Captain Neely's squadron of cavalry, which was soon to follow; leaving, under General Walker, for the defence of Island No.10 and Madrid Bend, some companies of heavy artillery, forming about the equivalent of a regiment; seven regiments and one battalion of infantry; one company of Stewart's light battery, with six guns; and two companies of Mississippi cavalry—an aggregate of about four thousand four hundred men. General McCown's telegrams to General Beauregard now again exhibited the same anxie
ew levies from your State should be sent to fill up the several Tennessee regiments under General Polk, and to take the arms of the sick or other non-effectives of those regiments. I have now to submit a list of the number of men wanted under that arrangement, and I beg that you will cause the necessary orders to issue, at once, so that the services of that number of men may be available at the earliest possible moment. General McCown will need 740 men—that is: 103 for 4th Tennessee, Colonel Neely, Island No.10; 195 for 5th Tennessee, Colonel Traverse, New Madrid; 75 for 46th Tennessee, Colonel Clark, Island No.10; and 227 for 31st Tennessee, Colonel Bradford, Island No.10; West Tennessee Battalion, 140 men. General Polk will need, at Humboldt, fifteen hundred (1500) men—that is: 67 for 2d Tennessee regiment, Colonel Walker. 65 for 9th Tennessee regiment, Colonel Douglas. 106 for 22d Tennessee regiment, Colonel Freeman. 132 for 154th Sr. Tennessee regiment, Colonel Smith.
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 36. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.21 (search)
ch's Brigade from Tupelo to Oxford, and followed the next day with his staff and escort and Thrall's Battery. On the 4th Neely's Brigade was also sent to Oxford. At this time General Forrest resumed command, and wrote to Major General Maury, commao the city by the nearest route to the Gayoso Hotel, where it was known a number of federal officers were quartered. Colonel Neely was ordered to charge into the camps of the hundred-day men with the Second Missouri, Fourteenth Tennessee and the Eil notes reverberated along the line, and cheer after cheer burst forth as the men swept forward in the impetuous charge. Neely dashed into the infantry camp; Captain Forrest rode into an artillery camp, shooting down about twenty of the gunners and Colonel Jesse Forrest captured the members of General Washburne's staff, but the wily old general escaped in the woods. Neely met with strong resistance, but drove the federal infantry from the camps, and captured the horses of a cavalry regiment.
1 2 3