hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 22 4 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 22 results in 5 document sections:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Buffalo, (search)
xtensive lake commerce with all western points, large live-stock and grain trade, and important manufactures; population in 1890, 255,664; in 1900, 352,387. General Riall, with his regulars and Indians, recrossed from Lewiston (see Niagara, Fort), when his forces had returned from the desolation of the New York frontier. Full license had been given to his Indians, and the desolation was made perfect almost to Black Rock. Riall marched up from Queenston (Dec. 28) to Chippewa, Lieutenant-General Drummond in immediate command. By this time all western New York had been alarmed. McClure had appealed to the people to hasten to the frontier. Gen. Amos Hallilitia and invited volunteers. Hall took chief command of troops now gathered at Black Rock and Buffalo, 2,000 strong. From Drummond's camp, opposite Black Rock, Riall crossed the river (Dec. 30) with about 1,000 white men and Indians. The night was dark. They drove the Americans from Black Rock. The militia were alarmed, and
nment so long as the troops should remain in possession of the country. At the opening of the third year of the second war for independence, a favorite project with the United States government was the conquest of Canada. The principal military forces in Upper Canada were under Lieutenant-General Drummond. When the Army of the North, commanded by Major-General Brown, reached the Niagara frontier, Drummond's headquarters were at Burlington Heights, at the western end of Lake Ontario. General Riall was on the Niagara River, at Fort George and Queenston; but when lie heard of the arrival of the Americans at Buffalo, under General Scott, he advanced to Chippewa and established a fortified camp. At the close of June, General Brown arrived at Buffalo, and assumed chief command, and, believing his army to be strong enough, he proceeded to invade Canada. His army consisted of two brigades, commanded respectively by Generals Scott and Ripley, to each of which was attached a train of a
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Chippewa, battle of (search)
Chippewa, battle of General Brown took prompt measures to secure the advantages derived from the capture of Fort Erie (see Canada), for it was known that General Riall, who was then in chief command on the Niagara frontier, was moving towards Fort Erie. Early in the morning of July 3, 1814, he had sent forward some of the Royal Scots to reinforce the garrison. At Chippewa, at the mouth of Chippewa Creek, they heard of the surrender of the fort, when Riall determined to make an immediate attack upon the Americans on Canadian soil. Hearing that reinforcements were coming from York, he deferred the attack until the next morning. To meet this force, Genening. Brown had been watching Porter's movements with great anxiety, and had ordered Scott to cross Street's Creek, when Porter's flying troops were observed. Riall had sent forward some Royal Scots, part of another regiment of regulars, a regiment of Lincoln militia, and about 300 Indians. Street's Creek Bridge in 1861, lo
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Lundy's Lane, battle of. (search)
Lane. The latter is better known. On his retreat from the battleground at Chippewa, July 5, 1814, the British general, Riall, fled down the borders of the Niagara River to Queenston, put some of his troops in Fort George, and made his headquarterieving an advance guard of the British were near, Scott dashed into the woods to disperse them, when he was confronted by Riall with a larger force that he had at Chippewa. The Americans were in great peril. To stand still would be fatal; to retSo Scott resolved to fight the overwhelming force. At sunset a desperate battle was begun, which ended at near midnight. Riall's force was 1,800 strong, posted in slightly crescent form on an eminence over which passed Lundy's Lane, a highway stretlly gained the British rear and kept back reinforcements sent by Drummond. At the same time Scott was hotly engaged with Riall. Brown, apprised of the situation, had pressed forward with his whole army and engaged in the fight. Perceiving the key
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Niagara, Fort (search)
Brown appeared at the close of June. On the morning of July 3, Generals Scott and Ripley crossed the Niagara River with a considerable force and captured Fort Erie, nearly opposite Black Rock. The garrison withdrew to the intrenched camp of General Riall at Chippewa, a few miles below. The Americans pressed forward, and in the open fields near Chippewa they fought Riall's army (July 5), and drove the British in haste to Burlington Heights (see Chippewa, battle of). Lieutenant-General DrummonRiall's army (July 5), and drove the British in haste to Burlington Heights (see Chippewa, battle of). Lieutenant-General Drummond then gathered all available troops and advanced to the Niagara River. He met the Americans near the great cataract of the Niagara, and there, on the evening of July 25, one of the most sanguinary battles of the war was fought, beginning at sunset and ending at midnight (Lundy's Lane, Battle of.). The Americans were left in quiet possession of the field. Brown and Scott were both wounded, and the command devolved on General Ripley, who withdrew to Fort Erie. Drummond again advanced with 5