ll the scores of towns chartered by Wentworth, and perhaps after province days some of the timber of that region found its way to Medford ship yards.
Squog village, within the two miles west of the Merrimack, has been annexed to, and is now a part of, Manchester.
In 1812 there was built, perhaps on quite this old Medford town farm, a canal boat called the Experiment. It was hauled by forty yoke of oxen to the Merrimack, launched on the river, loaded, and made the trip down stream under the charge of Captain Isaac Riddle.
It left the river at Chelmsford and came through the Middlesex canal, thus voyaging through Medford to Boston, where its arrival was hailed with cannon salute.
It is recorded that the enterprise boomed Bedford, the Hamp shier town, but we find no record of any material boom coming to Medford by the grant of the General Court and the town's outlay thereon, or any help in the support of minister or schoolmaster from the town's farm in Old Harry's town. M. W. M.