Your search returned 23 results in 10 document sections:

Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Additional Sketches Illustrating the services of officers and Privates and patriotic citizens of South Carolina. (search)
ections. In the seventies he filled the position of councilman in Georgetown for two terms. He was the organizer and acted as captain of the Hampton Imperial Guards, of Georgetown, for four years and was connected with military organizations from the close of the war up to 1898, when failing health compelled him to withdraw from active connection with them, although he still holds an honorary position in the military company of Georgetown. He has been twice married: first in 1872 to Miss Mary Riley, of Georgetown, who died in 1883, leaving four children, as follows: Mary Eleanor, now Mrs. E. M. Doar, of Georgetown; James F., a mercantile clerk in Georgetown; Annetta Hasford, and Walker. Another daughter, Anna, died in early childhood. He was again married in 1885 to Miss M. Margaret Selby, of Columbia, S. C., and one child has blessed this union, Julian Henning. Mr. Detjens is a member of Arthur Manigault camp, U. C. V., at Georgetown. Captain John Dewbery Captain John De
er F. Webster, another boarder, one pair of boots and two cloth coats valued at $200. The witnesses for the Commonwealth being called and falling to respond, the case was continued until the next term. Rules were awarded against Wm. A Wright and others, who had failed to appear and testify. Mayor's Court, Friday, Dec.12.--An examination of the change against J. D. Stewart and D R Goldsworth, for fighting in the 1st Market-House, was continued until Monday. James Mitchell arrested for participating in the fight, was discharged, the evidence not tending to criminate him. Wm. Jones, a soldier arrested by officer Crone on a warrant charging him with the larceny of a pair of socks belonging to Susan Fades and of the value of one dollar, was sent to the Provost Marshal for trial. Pat Holland for an assault on Jane Holland, his wife, was required to give $200 surety to keep the peace. Michael Ryan was required to give $100 to do likewise on the complaint of Mary Riley.
of good behavior for twelve months, John P. Smith, a person of evil fame and dissolute habits, was locked up in the city jail. Smith has recently been pardoned out of the Penitentiary. Charles Langford, white, charged with being a deserter from company D, Capt. L. Hawley, 10th Va. cavalry, was sent to the Provost Marshal. William, slave of Peter Webster, and Nal, slave of Maria Bohannon, charged with stealing sixteen bags from the Confederate States, two of which were full of corn, were sent on before the Hustings Court for further examination. George Engle, a white man, charged with receiving the same, knowing them to have been stolen, was also sent to the Hustings Court, and bailed for his appearance. Mrs. Mary Riley was required to give security for her appearance before the Court of Hustings, to give some account of a lot of sewing thread, writing paper, set of surgical instruments, &c., which were found by the police in her house under suspicious circumstances.
to it from necessity. Wm. Kenny, Pleasant Jones, and Charles Jones were charged with stealing four hundred and thirty pounds of bacon from a freight car at the Central Depot on Saturday night. The car was broken into while in motion and the bacon thrown out. After a tedious examination, during which a house full of sable witnesses were permitted to expatiate for an hour from the witness' stand, the prisoners were bailed to appear for further examination before the Hustings Court. Mary Riley, James Ormsby, and Rosanna Ormsby, were dismissed on the charge of assaulting and beating Patrick Sweeney. A counter charge was preferred against Patrick Sweeney of beating James, Ormsby, which was continued till this morning. This was one of those interesting (!) cases known as an Irish row, and during the examination of witnesses the police were kept busy in silencing the involuntary outburst of laughter which their peculiar testimony elicited. Solomon Jackson, a free negro, charg
ail for want of security to be of good behavior for twelve months. Parker, slave of John S. Hicks, charged with receiving one saddle and bridle, knowing them to have been stolen, was ordered to be whipped. Thirty-nine lashes each were ordered to be given Ezekiel, slave of John Lawson; Jno Redeross, free negro, and George, slave of James New, charged with stealing one coat, a lot of shirts and drawers, one hat, one pair of shoes, and $20 in Confederate money, from Henry Dunson. The charge against Patrick Sweency, of assaulting and beating Rosanna Ormsby and Mary Riley was continued fill to-morrow. Pauling Closs, charged with knowingly passing upon Ann Y. Jones a worthless $20 Tennessee note, was discharged. If the bill had ever been signed at all the names had been entirely office. The Mayor did not consider it a felony. The charge against John, an aged and respectable looking negro, of stealing a pair of shoes found on his person, was continued till to-day.
Jesse Jenkins, were whipped for stealing one candle. John, slave of J. R. Anderson, charged with trespassing on the premises of John Moremary, and having in his possession an unendorsed pass, was punished with stripes. William Coots and William Leber, charged with being persons of idle and dissolute habits, and deserters from the Confederate army, were committed to jail to await further disposition of them. Patrick Sweeney, charged with assaulting and beating Rosanna Grinsby and Mary Riley, was called, but it being ascertained that he had gone out with one of the local companies, the Mayor adjourned the case over to Wednesday. [This case was before His Honor several day ago, but on account of the absence of Patrick Doran, clerk in the War Department, who, it is alleged, was, while in a state of intoxication, severely whipped by Sweeney in Solitude the evening before the attack on the two women above named, the matter was laid over till the last sitting of the Court.]
Receiving stolen Goods. --Last Friday night the Quartermaster storehouse on the corner of Cary and 15th streets was broken into by thieves, who carried off a large quantity of soldiers' clothing, soap, candles and other property. Detective Weatherion, of Capt. Maccubbin's police, was entrusted with the duty of ferreting out the perpetrators of the robbery. This he failed in doing; but on Monday he succeeded in finding some of the stolen soap and candles in the houses of Mary Riley and Rosanna Ormsby, in the row on Cary street above 7th, known as Solitude. The matter being brought to the attention of the Mayor yesterday morning, he issued a warrant against each of the women. Officers Perrin and Morris executed the warrant and found the soap and candles, which one of the clerks at the Quartermaster's Department identified as some of the stolen property. The women were arrested and locked up for a hearing before the Mayor this morning. They say they bought the stolen articles,
Cary and 11th streets. Having reason to suspect the locality in which some of it had been carried, search warrants were obtained against Mrs. Rosanna Ormsby and Mary Riley, occupying adjoining tenements in "Solitude," on Cary, between 7th and 8th streets, and placed in the hands of officers Perrin and Morris for execution. The pa already under indictment for receiving stolen goods, where they found about twenty pounds of sperm candles, which were also recognized as Government property. Mrs. Riley explained that some time since she sailed out, with a large basket on her arm, to see whether she could purchase some articles of provisions for her own use, buhen asked by the Mayor of whom she purchased the candles, she replied that being an uneducated woman she could not read the signs, and therefore could not tell, Mrs. Riley was quite garrulous, and was proceeding to enlighten. His Honor with a history of every transaction of her life, when she was cut short with the remark--"If yo
, in order to prevent him from committing the outrage, struck him a blow over the forehead. Upon hearing this statement the Mayor discharged the accused. Patrick Sweeney was charged with using insulting and threatening language towards Mrs. Mary Riley. [The accused and complainant in this case have several times been up before his Honor for offences committed by them.] Mrs. Riley, who said she had for a long time been the victim of Sweeney's abuse, stated that recently he had become moreMrs. Riley, who said she had for a long time been the victim of Sweeney's abuse, stated that recently he had become more troublesome, and was so bad that she was afraid to poke her head outside of her door, lest he would kill her. Sweeney denied the accusation, and intimated that he had done nothing to Mrs. R. but that which he had been provoked to do. In consideration of the reputation of the parties, the Mayor held them both to security to keep the peace and be of better behavior in future. Oscar, slave of Peter W. Grubbs, Paul, slave of Robert Meredith, and Charles, slave of Ed. Furneyhough, three very sm
, and asked his discharge upon the piles of intoxication; but the testimony given by officer Crone, who arrested him, having proved that considerable damage had been done-to Mr. Hutcheson's house, he was committed to jail to await such time as the damages can be assessed and the appearance of Mr. Hutcheson can be procured before the Court. Thomas Quinn, charged with assaulting and beating Ann Riley, was committed, in default of security in the sum of $300 for his future good behavior Mary Riley, charged with using abusive and threatening language towards Lucy A. Heffiey, was required to give security in the sum of $100 for her future good behavior. Charlotte, slave of William Sutton, charged with stealing one pillow case, and a small lot of butter, sugar and flour, belonging to a servant in the employ of George W. Minnis, was again brought up for a hearing. This case has been continued for several days on account of the absence of a witness alleged to be important for the p