Your search returned 14 results in 6 document sections:

Carl Bower, Patrick Cahill, Augustus Cronier, John C. Calhoun, John Craig, William Church, Francis Campbell, William Deckleman, Arthur Donnelly, James H. Dogherty, Michael Donevan, Thomas Dunegan, Michael Eagan, James Fitzgerald, Felix F. Fagan, John Gorrill, Hugh Gilchrist, Edward Hicks, Jacob Hecker, Wm. Jamieson, Michael Hawkins, Edward Lindsay, William May, James Moore, John Moriarty, John McKenna, John McLoughlin, Robert McMonagh, John Nichol, John Grittle, Lewis Peters, Henry Pardy, Peter Riley, William Stripp, Charles Smith, Charles Sparrows, Fred. Scheltz, John Sullivan, David Thompson, John Walsh, Garnet Hyde--48. But little is definitely known respecting the fate of this company, as they were detached from the main body as scouts. Corporal Duncan McPhail, who was known to have been wounded, was on board of the boat when she sunk, and was drowned. Company E.--Capt. Timothy O'Meara, commanding. Killed--Private Daniel Graham, 1. Wounded--Sergeant Henry Van Voast, 1. Missin
rders were received from Headquarters by the officers commanding the various regiments, to be ready at four o'clock, with two days rations. The Thirtieth regiment, Col. Fouke, and Thirty-first, Col. Logan, embarked on the steamer Aleck Scott, Capt. Riley; the Twenty-second regiment, Col. Dougherty, the Twenty-seventh, Col. Buford, and the Seventh Iowa, Col. Lauman, upon the Memphis and Montgomery. Taylor's Battery of Artillery and a battalion of Col. Noble's Cavalry, also the Centralia Cavalrd in about an hour the firing commenced from the gunboats and was returned by the enemy from a battery on the Iron Bluffs. No damage was done to the gunboats, although the balls passed over them. I was standing on the deck of the Scott, with Capt. Riley, watching their battery with a glass, when they threw a shell from an eighty-four pound gun, which passed directly over our heads and landed three-quarters of a mile above the Scott, but did not explode. Mr. Reeder, the clerk, sent some men f
is appearance before the Hustings Court to answer the charge of unlawfully stabbing and wounding Mr. Roach. George Sinclair, an Englishman and a British subject, who claims to have joined our army, was brought up charged with assaulting and beating some man named "Bob." Bob was absent, and Sinclair was sent to jail, and his case continued. Robert, a slave, was ordered 15 lashes for misconduct. Alexander Jones, free, charged with assaulting a white man, was discharged. Washington Goodrick, charged with violently, assaulting and beating some one was present to meet the accusation. But the witnesses were absent, and the case was dismissed, and Goodrick required to give bail for his appearance this morning. Henry and Frank, two slaves charged with gambling, were discharged. Thomas Connelly, charged with being a deserter from Capt. Perkins company, was ordered to be taken to Gen. Winder. Peter Riley, charged with sleeping on a sidewalk, was discharged.
Intemperance. --The votaries of John Barleycorn continue to have their names registered daily upon the Mayor's docket, and we suppose the custom will not cease so long as whiskey is one of our domestic productions. David Truck bowed his stalwart form before the truculent adversary on Tuesday, and spread himself in a doorway, but the Mayor excused him for this occasion only.--Peter Riley took the sidewalk for his place of repose, and in the progress of events found himself before the municipal tribunal, where security in the sum of $100 was required for his future good behavior.--John A. Cameron, a Texan warrior, made a ruthless invasion of the Monument Hotel premises, but was captured by a superior force, and subsequently committed to the Valley fortress, in default of surety to keep the peace.
The State prisoners in Fort Warren--Release of Capt. Shields. Boston, Nov. 6. --Parker H. French has been sent to Fort Warren. By orders from Washington the following political prisoners were discharged at Fort Warren this afternoon, after taking the oath of allegiance: Capt. H. L. Shields, formerly of the United States army, arrested October 25; William Gilchrist, arrested in Philadelphia October 25; William Eakins, of Richmond, Va., arrested at Philadelphia August 26; Peter Riley, of Charleston, S. C., arrested September 23. Arrival of Lieut. Kurtz in Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Nov. 6. --Lieut. Kurtz. of the United States navy, whose arrival at Washington from Richmond, on his parole of honor, has been previously noticed, is now stopping in this city. His parole, which is for fifty days, was obtained chiefly through the intercession of ex-Senator Mallory, after enduring for several weeks, in company with a fellow prisoner, Lieut. Selden, also of the
with improper passes, were ordered to be punished with stripes. Octavia Binford, a free negro, was ordered to be whipped for keeping an governed house of evil-fame, within the bounds of the corporation. Emma Leathers, a girl of about sixteen years of age, and pretty fair looking, was charged with being a person of evil fame, associating with negroes. For want of security to keep the peace and be of good behavior for twelve months, she was committed to prison. William and Peter Riley were charged with associating with negroes. The accused parties being soldiers, and claiming to have just returned on furlough from Georgia, and now destroying to return immediately to their company, were reprimanded and advised to leave the city forth with. Henry D. Lewis, a youth about sixteen years old, charged as above, was committed to jail for want of security to be of good behavior for twelve months. Parker, slave of John S. Hicks, charged with receiving one saddle and bridl