ul experiment of burning it in a grate for fuel.
During the Revolution anthracite coal was used in the armory at Carlisle, Pa., for blacksmiths' fires.
In 1790 an old hunter, Philip Gintner, in the Lehigh Valley, discovered coal near the present Mauch Chunk.
In 1792 the Lehigh Coal-Mining Company was formed for mining it, but it did little more than purchase lands.
In 1806 200 or 300 bushels were taken to Philadelphia.
but experiments to use it for ordinary fuel failed.
In 1812 Col. George Shoemaker took nine wagon-loads to Philadelphia, but could not sell it. It was soon afterwards used with success in rolling-mills in Delaware county, and it soon found purchasers elsewhere.
But it was not until 1825 that the coal-trade began to assume notable proportions, when anthracite was used in factories and in private houses for fuel.
The whole amount of anthracite sent to market in 1820 was 365 tons.
The entire product of the country in the calendar year 1899 was 193,321,987 short