Your search returned 46 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
liard, and others; early presidents of Harvard College, Dunster, Chauncy, Willard; the first settlers and proprietors, Simon Stone, Deacon Gregory Stone, Roger Harlakenden, John Bridge, Stephen Daye, Elijah Corlett; and, later, the Lees, the Danas, hosen. Within these grounds, and not far from where we are now standing, the first Christian proprietor of this soil, Simon Stone, a companion in faith and tribulation of our Shepard, and one of the noble band of Puritans, who first established theery are situated on the westerly boundary line of Cambridge. In the early settlement of the town, the tract was known as Stone's Woods, being the northerly part of Simon Stone's farming lands, which were bounded on the south by Charles River. The Simon Stone's farming lands, which were bounded on the south by Charles River. The woods were later known as Sweet Auburn, and were the property of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. In June, 1831, this society, by an act of the legislature, was authorized to appropriate any part of its real estate for a rural cemetery or b
sidual products1 Glass2 Hair work (animal and human)1 Hose : rubber, linen, etc.1 Leather15 Liquors : malt, distilled, and fermented5 Lumber1 Machines and machinery10 Metals and metallic goods51 Musical instruments and materials9 Paints, colors, and crude chemicals1 Photographs and photographic materials7 Printing, publishing, and book-binding15 Railroad construction1 Rubber and elastic goods1 Scientific instruments and appliances3 Shipbuilding2 Sporting and athletic goods1 Stone15 Tallow, candles, soap, andgrease12 Tobacco, snuff, and cigars13 Trunks and valises1 Whips, lashes, and stocks1 Wooden goods 13 —– All industries578 mechanical and manufacturing industries.No of Establishment Reporting.CapitalMiscellaneous Expenses.Average Number of Employees.Total Wages.Cost of Materials Used.Value of Goods Made and Work Done. Value of Hired Property.Direct Investment. Blacksmithing and wheelwrighting49$70,800$89,669$9,091153$107,382$53,572$195,805 Bookbindin
rches, 240. Middlesex Bank, 303. Middletown, Conn., settled, 7. Milestone in Harvard Square, 134. Milk, Inspector of, 405. Minute-men, monument to, 135. Mitchel, Rev. Jonathan, 235. Mizpah Lodge of Masons, 284. Monti Luigi, the Young Sicilian, 211. Morse, Royal, auctioneer, 40. Morse's hourly, 38. Moulson, Lady Ann, establishes scholarship at Harvard, 174; Radcliffe College named for, 175. Moulson, Sir Thomas, 174. Mount Auburn, location, 139; known as Stone's Woods, 139; also Sweet Auburn, 139; proprietors, 139; use as a cemetery authorized, 139; the tower, 139; first committee for the cemetery, 139, 140; consecration, 140; incorporation, 140; first burials, 140; the chapel, 140; statues, 140, 141; the Sphinx, 140; gateway, 140; monuments, 140, 141; eminent dead, 141; Franklin monument, 141; interments, 141; funds, 141; other lands of the corporation, 141. Mount Auburn Corporation, 140. Mount Auburn Lodge of Odd Fellows, 186. Mount Aubur
Carr Brothers, 362. Curtis Davis & Co., 358. James C. Davis & Co., 359. C. L. Jones & Co., 361. Lysander Kemp & Sons, 360. Charles R. Teele, 362. Spring-Beds. Howe Spring-Bed Co., 393. New England Spring-Bed Co., 392. Stone work. William A. Bertsch, 389. Charles River Stone Co., 389. Connecticut Steam Stone Co., 389. Austin Ford & Son. 389. A. Higgins & Co., 389. John J. Horgan. 389. Alexander McDonald & Son, 388. R. J. Rutherford. 389. Union MarbStone Co., 389. Austin Ford & Son. 389. A. Higgins & Co., 389. John J. Horgan. 389. Alexander McDonald & Son, 388. R. J. Rutherford. 389. Union Marble and Granite Works, 389. Sugar. Revere Sugar Refinery, 394. Telescopes. Alvan Clark & Sons, 379. Tin cans. Charles E. Pierce & Co., 393. Tinware. Dover Stamping Co., 389. Seavey Manufacturing Co., 390. Turning. Standard Turning Works, 390. Twine. American Net and Twine Co., 377. Undertakers' supplies. William L. Lockhart & Co., 390. Vinegar. Cambridge Vinegar Co., 395. Waterproofed clothing. H. M. Sawyer & Son, 391. Wire work. Mor
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Sweet Auburn and Mount Auburn. (search)
, now endeared to countless hearts, been known and loved for more than a century. In 1635, Simon Stone, an English gentleman, came to New England with his family and settled on the banks of the Chportions of the Cambridge Cemetery and of Mount Auburn. In the former a small tablet, marked Simon Stone, denotes the spot where still lives and bears fruit one of the ancient pear trees planted by 's hand, and looked on with reverential interest by his descendants to the eleventh generation. Stone's Mount, on which the Tower in Mount Auburn stands, formed a part also of the many acres of SimoSimon Stone and his descendants. These beautiful grounds possessed every variety of charm that nature could bestow. The hills were covered with a great variety of trees, among which the oak, the chest Auburn known, and dear to many hearts, being full of sweet memories. From its highest hill, Stone's Mount, the prospect stretched wide and beautiful on every hand. A grand old oak stood on the
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Gregory Stone and some of his descendants (search)
th this family of eight children, the oldest seventeen, the youngest three years, he crossed the water. Paige, in his History of Cambridge, thinks it probable that he came in the ship Defence, from London, with the Rev. Thomas Shepherd, and some others. This company, fleeing religious intolerance at home, embarked in the early days of July, 1635, in a ship having a bottom too decayed and feeble indeed for such a voyage, so that a perilous leak endangered her safety on the way hither. Simon Stone came with his family on the ship Increase, also from London, and settled in Watertown, where he and his descendants for several generations took a prominent part in the affairs of the locality. He was a grantee of eight lots, and later was one of the largest land owners in the town. A considerable part of the land now occupied by Mt. Auburn and Cambridge cemeteries once belonged to him. According to tradition it was he who built the old-fashioned house of colonial style, that, with the
f, 78. Stone, Gregory, Deacon, 76, 79. Stone, Gregory, Ancestry of, 73. Stone, Gregory, Part of Inventory of, 81. Stone, Gregory, and Some of His Descendants, 73-86. Stone, Gregory, Will of, 80. Stoneham, Mass., 69. Stone, Constable, Isack, 83. Stone, John, 78, 80. Stone, Samuel, 77, 78, 80, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86. Stone, Deacon, Samuel, 82, 85. Stone, Samuel, East, 85. Stone, Samuel, Sr., 83, 85. Stone, Samuel, West, 85. Stone, Sara A., 73. Stone, Sarah, 78. Stone, Simon, 73, 79. Stone, Symond, 73. Stower River, 25. Strickland, Charles, 42. Sudbury, Mass., 78. Sullivan, James, 8. Susan and Ellin, 50. Swan, Samuel, Jr., 67. Sweetser, Abigail, 12. Sweetser, Henry Phillips, 65, 67. Sweetser, Colonel, John, 38, 65. Sweetser, Seth, 12, 44, 64, 65, 67. Sycamore Street, Somerville, 42. Symmes, Jack, 69. Symmes, William, 16. Talbot Mills, 1. Temple, Robert, 31. Temple, Robert, Jr., 31. Ten Hills, 30, 31, 33, 41. The Farms, 78, 79, 82,
church. While we are in this hill garden, let us take a look across the basin of the Charles and see if we cannot perceive the outlines of another orchard lying in the edge of Watertown, which was planted about the same time on land which Simon Stone chose for his dwelling-place soon after his arrival in 1636. The old gardens on Beacon Hill have long ago made room for modern buildings, but one of the trees of the orchard in Watertown, a pear tree, is still standing in Old Cambridge Cemete towns, and there is a tradition that a large pine tree in Malden served as the model for the tree on the seal of the state of Maine. The Dexter elm, in Malden, on the corner of Elm and Dexter streets, must be at least two hundred years old. The Stone elm, East Watertown, stands near the corner of Washington and Grove streets. It is said to have been brought from Fresh Pond in 1763. On the Brooks estate, at West Medford, are several old trees, and some of them, the hickories, if tradition
erville Journal Souvenir, 55. Sowden, J., 12. Spaulding, A., 11. Sprague, Ann D., 20. Spring Street, 60. Stanton, L., 14. Stanton, L. W., 50. Stearns, Maria A., 47. Stearns, Maria H., 46. Stephenson, Thomas, 52. Stetson, Lebbeus, 59. Stetson, Susan S., 53. Stevens, John, 49. Stevens, L., 15. Stevens, Rachel T., 75, 76. Stickney, Ira, 21. Storer Estate, 4. Story Street, Cambridge, 6. Stone, A., 12. Stone Elm, 9. Stone, Daniel, 11. Stone, Sara A., 1, 53, 85. Stone, Simon, 3. Sudbury Street, Boston, 4. Sullivan's Political Class Book, 98. Summer Street, 57, 59. Summer Street, Boston, 2. Summit Avenue, 57. Swan, James, 50, 52, 70, 71. Swan, John, 11. Swan, Reuben, 51, 52. Swan, Reuben, Jr., 70, 71. Swan, Robert, 83. Swan, Samuel, 82. Swan (Samuel?), 72. Swan, Stephen A., 93. Swan, William D., 70, 71, 72, 78, 82, 83. Sweetser, john, 50. Sweetser, Paul H., 82, 94. Swift, Benjamin, 23. Sycamore Street, 60, 87. Sylvester, Ca
rough search of the parish records of Great Bromley, Essex county, Eng., has led to the following conclusions on the part of the investigators: The Symond Stone whose will was probated February 10, 1510, had a son David, who was the great-grandfather of Gregory Stone; the intervening relatives were a Symond and a David. The parish of Ardley adjoined that of Great Bromley, and the Stones named in the Court Rolls of Ardley are without doubt of the same family as that from which Gregory and Simon Stone descended. The latter were emigrants to this country in 1635–'36, and left their mark on the early history of Watertown and Cambridge, where they settled. Their descendants for two generations, at least, were prominent in public affairs. With the increase of population and the advent of new families, any given name sinks into obscurity. So it was in the case of the Stone family for one or two generations, and then it emerged, not, indeed, to shine with such prominence as was the case
1 2