certain piece of land with a dwelling house, having a frontage on High street of seven rods and twenty-two links, to land of Widow Gray.
The record of Medford ships shows that he built his last ships in 1834 and 1835, one in each year, and that after 1835 the building at the Magoun ship-yard was by others.
It would appear that the mansion-house was commenced at about the time of his retirement, about 1835.
Facing page 357 in Brooks' History of Medford (1855) is a steel engraving by F. T. Stuart, showing the house and stable, with (presumably) the owner in his carriage driving out across the sidewalk.
Two pieces of statuary, and large vases, adorn the ample grounds.
An iron fence surmounts the granite wall in front.
A. C. Rawson was the delineator, and the print also bears the name of O. R. Wilkinson, Medford's daguerrean artist of that time.
But for the eastern chimney being a little out of place, (probably the fault of the delineator) the view is an excellent one, and valua
en this and the Rail Road Station, the three-story building with the bell on the rear end of the roof-ridge.
Then another of two stories, with door and window, and driveway through to the dock in the rear.
This the writer recognizes as the coal office where he bought his first winter's coal of Luther Angier in 1870, with more pleasure, less money, and better results than present conditions give.
A. L. Rawson, del.
was the delineator of this view from Wilkinson's daguerreotype, and F. T. Stuart, sc.
sculped (i.e. engraved) the steel plate from which it was printed.
The elder Thatcher Magoun's residence, now the Public Library (which has been noted in the Register) is shown, and the same process was followed in it, as also in view of Medford square, which, as it is Medford's civic center, deserves special mention.
Its point of view is at the entrance of Salem street. As we look up High street today we see nothing that is in the picture save the three well-preserved Hall hous