hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14. 6 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14., A Medford midnight marauder. (search)
ast, tried to get him with a gun. From his size, and the length of his tusks, it was known that he was several years old, and from his ferocity it was believed that he had lived in the woods a good part of his life. In the old days, before the war, it was no uncommon sight to see a drove of pigs from the country driven through the streets. They would be in charge of a man, with boys assisting in keeping the refractory ones in the road. The drover usually wore a long frock, and carried a stout bag and steelyards slung over his shoulder, with which to weigh the porkers he sold along the route. This wild hog, doubtless one who had eluded the vigilance of the drover and the more active boys, was marked with patches of black, and in his wild life had developed such cunning and strength that it is a wonder he was captured at all. The writer well remembers seeing him, and also the sorry appearance his captors presented after their struggle with him in the woods. Samuel S. Symmes.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14., The old Rock tree near Whitmore Brook. (search)
The old Rock tree near Whitmore Brook. Mr. Symmes' story of the wild hog suggests notice by the Register of one of the natural curiosities of our old town. Some of the strollers in the Fells have noticed the tree growing on the bowlder near the Winchester line, just a little westward from Whitmore road and brook, and have looked at it with no little surprise and wonder. The tree is some fifteen feet tall and of our native variety of red cedar, so called, though really a juniper (junipera virginiana), and differs a little from others of its kind, which are tall and tapering, in being somewhat spherical in its branching top. The bowlder beneath it is nearly cubical in shape, in size about twelve feet, and partially buried in the alluvial drift from the hills that lie northward and enclose what little remains of Bear Meadow. No bears are there now to be found, and little trace of the meadow, now that the trees are gone, but within fifty years both Bear Meadow and farther Tu
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14., Governor Brooks' birthplace. (search)
Governor Brooks' birthplace. The Medford Governor was born at upper Medford, or Symmes' Corner, set off from Medford by the incorporation of Winchester as a town in 1850. Originally a part of Charlestown, it was joined to Medford in 1754 for the convenience of its residents who had to journey through Medford to reach their meeting-house. Here was the farm of Zachariah Symmes (first minister of Charlestown) of which portions remain in possession of his descendants today. Through the farm lay the publique country road from Medford to Woburn, and at the corner diverged southward the road to Cambridge, the present Grove street. In more recent years there was laid out another to the west, the present Bacon street. On all the angles formed by these dwelt a Symmes, a descendant of Reverend Zachariah. Substantial were the houses they built and that sheltered the generations that have come and gone. One has ends of brick enclosing the chimneys. Another, the residence of Luther S