the stone was deposited a box containing a silver plate, with this inscription: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.
The corner stone of this building is laid the seventeenth of September, 1867, by the Parish of Grace Church, Medford, organized the eighteenth of February, 1848.
Then followed the names of the bishops of the diocese, the rector of the parish, the officers, building committee and architect.
The church was erected under the supervision of John T. Tarbell, Francis A. Gray, Dudley C. Hall, Shepherd Brooks and the rector as a building committee.
The parish took possession of the new stone church on Advent Sunday, 1868.
Mr. Learoyd resigned his rectorship at Easter, 1872, and became rector of St. Thomas Church, Taunton.
He was elected treasurer of the diocese of Massachusetts in 1873, which office he now (1901) holds.
He resigned from St. Thomas Parish in July, 1895, and accepted the rectorship of Emmanuel Church, Wakefield, January 1