Your search returned 116 results in 34 document sections:

1 2 3 4
chief; and that place was a favorite resort of the tribes visiting the sea-shore, or fishing for shad and alewives. Spot Pond.--Feb. 7, 1632. The Governor, Mr. Nowell, Mr. Eliot, and others, went over Mistic River at Medford; and, going N. and pine, beech [birch]; and the pond had divers small rocks standing up here and there in it, which they therefore called Spot Pond. They went all about it upon the ice. From thence (towards the N. W. about half a mile) they came to the top of a very d). Cheese Rock may be easily found on the west side of Forest Street, half a mile N. W. of the northerly border of Spot Pond. Mystic River. This river is felt to belong to Medford; for we may almost say that it has its beginning, continuanding the widest prospect, and most visited by pleasure parties, is Pine Hill, in the north-east part of the town, near Spot Pond. As part of the low range of hills, called the Rocks, which runs east and west, and nearly marks the northern boundary
persevered, and subscriptions for stock were opened in 1804, and Medford was deeply interested in it. An act of incorporation was obtained, June 15, 1805, by Jonathan Porter, Joseph Hurd, Nathan Parker, Oliver Holden, and Fitch Hall. The route was designated in the act. It was to run from the house of John Russell, in Andover, in an easterly direction, to the east of Martin's Pond ; nearly on a straight line to the house of J. Nichols, in Reading ; thence to Stoneham, by the west side of Spot Pond, to the market-place in Medford. No time for its construction was named in the legislative grant, as the distance was considerable and the country hilly. A much longer time and much more money than were at first supposed, were required for its completion. Not proving a very profitable investment, there were propositions made, in 1828, for its sale. These were not accepted; and, finally, it was concluded to abandon the road, offering it as a free highway to the several towns through whi
wood felled and squared for them; and not above 5s. 6d. if they fell and square their wood themselves. Feb. 7, 1632.--On this day, Governor Winthrop, Mr. Nowell, and others, crossed our ford in Medford, and traveller on an exploring expedition towards the north-east, and came to a very great pond, having in the midst an island of about one acre, and very thick with trees of pine and beech; and the pond had divers small rocks standing up here and there in it, which they therefore called Spot Pond. They went all about it on the ice. 1633.--Puritans: Neal says, Hardly a vessel came into these ports but was crowded with passengers for New England. July 2, 1633.--It is ordered that no person sell either wine or strong water without leave from the governor or deputy-governor; and no man shall give any strong water to any Indian. 1638.--Wine shall not be sold by innholders; but they may brew the beer they sell. Oct. 1, 1633.--Thanksgiving-day appointed by the General Court,--th
Hall, Nov. 7, 1849 Again at Fitchburg Hall, Nov. 2, 1853 Vermont, hold a festival at the Revere House, Mar. 16, 1859 Of Malta. A nondescript of fun and frolic, Oct., 1857 Soup Houses One provided on Milk street, Apr. 16, 1808 One provided on Charles street, June 1, 1855 Several provided at Police Stations, Feb. 7, 1868 Opposed by Board of Charities, but continued by Government, 1880 Spotted Fever caused great alarm; sanitary measures adopted, Mar., 1810 Spot Pond surveyed by Governor Winthrop, Feb. 7, 1631 State House. The old Town House occupied, Oct. 25, 1780 An attempt to remove from Boston, June, 1787 Beacon Hill, ground broken, May 15, 1795 Built, and dome completed, Oct. 19, 1796 On Beacon Hill, first occupied, Jan. 11, 1798 The Codfish over the Speaker's desk put up, Jan. 11, 1798 West end addition completed, Sep. 8, 1853 Remodeled and repaired, Dec., 1867 Liquor Agent causes a sensation at State House, Nov.,
Ships, Steam 138, 139 Ship Fever, 139 Shot, 139 Siamese Twins, 139 Silver Coin, 139 Skating Rink, 139, 140 Skedaddle, 140 Skeleton, Living 140 Slaughter Houses, 140 Slaves, 140 Sleighs, 140 Smokers, 140 Smokers' Retreat, 141 Snodgrass, Emma 141 Small-Pox, 141 Societies, 141, 142 Soldier Messengers, 142 Sons of Liberty, 142 Sons of New Hampshire, 142 Sons of Vermont, 142 Sons of Malta, 142 Soup Houses, 143 Spotted Fever, 143 Spot Pond, 143 State House, 143 State Liquor Agent, 143 Stages, 143 Statuary, 143, 144 Station Home, 144 Steam Engines, 144 St. George's Rooms, 144 St. Louis City Government, 144 Stocks, 144 Storms, Rain 144, 145 Storms, Snow 145, 146 Streets, 146 Street Commissioners, 146 Street Superintendents, 146 Street Signs, 146 Strikes, 147 Submarine Race, 147 Sub-Treasury, 147 Sunderland, Leroy 147 Swearing, 147 Swimming Match, 147 Swine, 147 Sw
lerica), 53. Sheafe, Edward, Jr., 43. Shepherd, Rev., Thomas, 73. Shirley, Governor, 31. Simson, Joseph, 11, 12, 65. Skelton, —, 29. Skinner, John, 16, 17. Smith, —, 18. Smith, Betsey, 37. Smith, John, 60. Somerville Historical Society, Meetings of, 72. Somerville Hospital, 70. Somerville National Bank, 70. Somerville Past and Present, 59. Southey, Robert, 63. Sowhegum Farm, 14. Sparohauke, Nathaniel, 79. Sparks Street, Cambridge, 51. Spencer (family), 43. Spot Pond, 11. Sprague, John, 12. Spring Lane, Boston, 30. Standish, Miles, 60. State Board of Education, 63. Stearns, Sarah, 82. Stearns, William, 24. Stevens, John, 14. Stickney (family), 42. Stimson, Andrew, Jr., 12. Stimson, Joseph, 12. Stimpson, Rev., Joseph, 65. Stoddard Locks, 2. Stone, Daniel, 78. Stone, David, 77, 78, 85. Stone, Deacon, 76, 79, 84, 86. Stone, Elizabeth, 78. Stone, Gregory, Children of, 78. Stone, Gregory, Deacon, 76, 79. Stone, Gregory, Ancest
Brook. South and partly upon Prouts Marsh, the Widow's thirds East from the West corner of the orchard comprehending into this twelve Acres One appletree at the West corner and so it butts upon Mrs. Dunster's westerly [ ] Wade north—also seven Acres of Plowland on the East fide of the o [ ] corn field adjoyning to Elizabeth Wade's plowland hereinafter mentioned and bounded by the fence elsewhere All these together at £ 152..12..4 allowing her the said Prudence one half that wood lott at Spot pond into her part—— ffifthly Katherine Wyer Katherine Wade married Eleazar Wyer. There is no record of marriage, but the births of children are recorded. hath that house by marble's brook Meeting House brook. at £40ll and about Eighteen Acres of land adjoyning allowing two acres for Highways || and Nine acres and half of woodland more or less the Woodland lyeth at the North corner of the farm bounded by Charlestown [ ] north Thomas Willis West, Susanna Wade East and so with that Eighte
Historical items. Feb. 7, 1632: On this day Governor Winthrop, Mr. Nowell, and others, crossed our ford in Medford, and travelled on an exploring expedition towards the north-east, and came to a very great pond, having in the midst an island of about one acre, and very thick with trees of pine and beech; and the pond had divers small rocks standing up here and there in it, which they therefore called Spot Pond. They went all about it on the ice. 1647: Medford was under the following law: Ordered that no lover shall seek the hand of his chosen one till he has asked permission of her parents. Penalty for the first offence £ 5; for the second £ 10; and for the third imprisonment. According to this, an element of danger must have been introduced into the courting of those days. 1670: Some Indian children were brought up in our English families, and afterwards became idle and intemperate. A gentleman asked the Indian father why this was so. He answered: Tucks will be tucks,
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Lawrence Light Guard.—Continued. (search)
Saturday evening course of lectures for 1903 offers an attractive set of topics. Last month Mr. Walter C. Wright read a paper on the Gypsy Moth: Past, Present and Future, describing the habits of the pest and the most effective way of ridding the city of its ravages. He placed great responsibility on individual occupants of real estate, who might, by conscientious work, keep the moth in check on private property, while the State and City could be fully occupied in taking care of the trees in reservations, parks and highways. The following papers will be given during the winter and spring:— January 3.—Some Evils of our present Nominating System, and how they can be removed. Hon. F. W. Dallinger, of Cambridge. February 7.—Matthew Cradock. Mr. W. K. Watkins, of Malden. March 7.—How can we make Medford more beautiful? Mr. Edward P. Adams. April 4.—The Second Charter of Massachusetts. Mr. Walter H. Cushing. May 2.—Spot Pond, as it was and is. Mr. Herbert
hose denizens in the good old summer time made night melodious, informing the listener that Paddy got drunk—got drunk. Shaded by willows, and surrounded by a tangled growth (possibly suggesting the name of Brierville), its waters found a way into Whitmore Brook. The stone tower on Hastings Heights, as we call the hill now, overlooks the place; while the site of the pond is surrounded with houses, the homes of recent comers and residents. In 1870, water was introduced into Medford from Spot Pond, and building operations commenced upon the long vacant Smith estate, which for some years was called by some of the hill dwellers the Flats. Possibly they had forgotten, or, perhaps, never knew, that years before, their location was rather contemptuously called by some of their townsmen the Fag-end. Of the residents of the West End in 1870 a few words will not be out of place. I shall speak only of such as came more particularly under my notice. Coming to the village with the intent
1 2 3 4