Your search returned 58 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
ton and Charlestown and Cambridge might avail themselves of the great advantages offered by the protected inner basin called the Back Bay as a place for loading and discharging vessels of light draft. An extensive attempt was made to overcome the natural disabilities in the way of the development of the region near the foot of Main Street, by the construction through the intervening marsh between the river and dry land, of a main canal known as Broad Canal, which was also connected with Miller's River by another running north from it. The West Dock Canal, which was also connected with Broad Canal, was so constructed as to furnish a place for loading and discharging vessels in the area now surrounded by Portland and Bristol streets, Webster Avenue, and Hampshire Street. The South Dock Canal was a similar construction near the junction of Main, Harvard, and Sixth streets, and was connected with Broad by Cross Canal, and had also a separate outlet to the river. The only existing remind
alt marsh. To overcome the natural disadvantages of grade under which the city suffered, the filling of a large section was necessary, including the channels formerly constructed for the passage of vessels, leaving only for such purpose the so-called Broad Canal, which affords access to many coal and lumber yards. The several legislative acts were approved as follows: That relating to the Washington Street district in 1869, to the Franklin and Sparks Streets district in 1872, and to the Miller River district in 1873. Under the provisions of these acts much land was surrendered to the city by the owners, and was later sold at about thirty per cent of its cost. In addition to the freight facilities afforded by the navigable river, the Boston and Albany and Boston and Maine railroads, in the easterly section, where are located the greater number of our large manufactories, and the Fitchburg railroad, in the westerly part, provide ample accommodation; yet it is hoped ere long that a
partner January 1, 1884. When the corporation was formed, Mr. John P. Squire became president; Mr. Frank O. Squire, vice-president; and Mr. Fred F. Squire, treasurer. In 1855 Mr. Squire bought a small tract of land in East Cambridge, on Miller's River, and built a slaughter-house, which was then adequate for the business. Additions and changes have been made from time to time, until now the corporation has one of the largest, most modern, and best-equipped packing-houses in the country, ad in the manufacture of spring-beds, cots, and berth bottoms. The product is sold over the United States, with some exports to England. Revere Sugar Refinery. The Revere Sugar Refinery, situated between the Boston & Lowell Railroad and Miller's River, East Cambridge, began operations in 1871. They occupy an extensive building of six stories, and employ directly about one hundred and thirty men, with an annual pay-roll of one hundred thousand dollars. They also furnish steady work to a co
rt, stands exactly upon the longitudinal line, and about a hundred yards south of the parallel of latitude indicated. It is bounded on the east by Charles River, which separates it from Boston; on the south by Charles River, which separates it from Brookline and Brighton; Brighton and Charlestown have recently been annexed to Boston; but they have not yet ceased to be designated by their former names. on the west by Watertown, Belmont, and Arlington; on the north by Somerville, and by Miller's River, which separates it from Charlestown. Though now small in territorial extent, embracing not more than about four and a half square miles, it is divided into four principal districts, each having a post-office, namely: Cambridge (often called Old Cambridge), Cambridgeport, East Cambridge, and North Cambridge. Like most ancient townships, Cambridge has had great enlargement and diminution in its boundary lines. At first, it seems to have been designed merely as a fortified place, very
Common-marsh. Long-marsh extended from Green Street between Bay and Vernon streets to the river below Riverside, and probably to Captain's Island, at the south end of Magazine Street. The marsh between Captain's Island and East Cambridge was called the Great Marsh. Its name will appear the more appropriate, when it is considered that almost the entire territory easterly of a line drawn from the junction of Pearl and Allston streets to the point where the Grand Junction Railroad crosses Miller's River (excepting the high land in East Cambridge), was then one continuous unbroken marsh. A small tract, indeed, lying southeastwardly from the junction of Main and Front streets, was upland, and was an island at high water, afterwards called Pelham's Island ; and a few other small parcels of dry land appeared on the easterly side of the line before mentioned, but they were more than counterbalanced by tracts of marsh on the westerly side. The grazing lands were not divided at first; but
out one hundred feet east of Columbia Street, and thence running northerly, nearly parallel with Columbia Street to Somerville; on the north by Somerville and Miller's River; on the east by Charles River; on the south by School Street, from the point of beginning, to Moore Street, then on the east by a straight line extended to a easterly from Portland Street, and extending from Broad Canal to a point near the northerly line of the Bordman Farm. This canal was subsequently extended to Miller's River. According to an agreement, June 14, 1811, between the Lechmere Point Corporation and Davenport & Makepeace, the latter were to have perpetual right to pass d rafts through Miller's Creek or North River, so called, to North Canal and Broad Canal, and to extend North Canal, through land owned by the Corporation, to Miller's River; and the Corporation was to have the right to pass through the said canals to Charles River, so long as the canals should remain open. Cross Canal, bounded
e a precipitate retreat to their boats. Three or four Americans were wounded, one mortally. The British ship and floating-batteries kept up a brisk fire, but to little purpose. Memoirs, p. 30. Dec. 12. A causeway was begun over the marsh to Lechmere's Point. Whether a new causeway was constructed, or the old one repaired does not distinctly appear. But, old or new, it is delineated on Marshal's Map as connecting the fortification on Lechmere's Point with Fort No. 3, and crossing Miller's River at or near the spot where the Gore (or Medford) Street Bridge was after wards built. For the next few days the approaches were carried on briskly, nearly to the top of the hill. On the 17th, the morning was foggy. A detachment of 300 men, under the direction of Gen. Putnam, broke ground on the top of the hill, on Lechmere's Point, at a distance of not more than half a mile from the ship. Between twelve and one o'clock, the fog cleared away, and the ship began to cannonade the American
, 86. Mead, Elijah, 63. Medford, Mass., 4, 41, 80, 81, 82. Medford Daughters of the Revolution, 23. Medford Street, 47. Memorial History of Boston, 38. Menotomies River, 80. Menotomy, 14, 18. Merrimac River, 86. Middleborough, Mass., 1. Middlesex County, 77. Milk Row, 42, 43, 68, 70, 72, 74, 97, 98, 100. Milk Row District, 16, 64. Milk Row School, 14, 15, 22, 67, 71, 91. 93, 94, 96, 98, 99, 100. Miller, Captain, Joseph, 64, 67, 69, 70, 71, 72. Miller, Richard, 41. Miller's River, 4, 77. Mill Pond, 78. Mill Street, 78. Mira, 23. Mishawum, 4. Mississippi, S. S., 27, 33, 36. Mobile, 53, 59, 61. Mobile Bay, 57, 58. Moody, Josiah, 96. Moody, Samuel, 95, 96. Morse, Rev. Jedediah, D. D., 44, 63, 66. Morse, Samuel, F. B., 66. Morse's School Geography and Atlas, 101. Moses, 44. Mount Vernon (gunboat), 33. Mt. Benedict, 78. Munroe, Henry, 8. Munroe, Nancy T., 8. Murray's English Grammar and Exercises, 101. Murray's English Reader,
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908, Original English inhabitants and early settlers in Somerville. (search)
olrych, after John Woolrych, of Strawberry Hill, and it may be that Wildridge's Hill and Strawberry Hill were identical. A deed given for land on Wildridge's Hill 130 years later says bounded northeast by Three-Pole Lane (now Shawmut and Cross Streets), and thus makes the Strawberry Hill of the olden time to be the Prospect Hill of our time. Richard Miller, 1637 or earlier. His dwelling house and eight acres of land were in Gibbons-field, near Gibbons River, which years later became Miller's River, but is now, happily, no more. Richard Miller removed to Cambridge, and Joseph, one of his two sons, also settled there. James, the younger of the two, settled in Somerville, and of him and his descendants, more anon. Samuel Hall, 1637, had a dwelling house and four acres of land in the Highfield, probably on the Somerville side of the boundary line, but he left no issue here. Thomas Beecher, 1637. His dwelling house was in the Highfield, but may have been on the Charlestown side
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908,
Union Square
before the War.—(Il) (search)
southerly side, where the culvert emptied into Miller's River, which then ran along the edge of the Square. ss the Guy C. Hawkins estate, and emptying into Miller's River a little way west of the present Washington-Strpart of that city it was long ago abandoned. Miller's River, into which these two brooks ran, had its sourcet and on to its mouth at Charles River. The Miller's River of 1850 and before was a limpid stream, whose ars ago there was a public watering place where Miller's River crossed Prospect Street; this street was laid o or so ago called the way by Bullard's Bridge. Miller's River had one other branch, which commenced not far fsand is found near it; on the northerly side of Miller's River were sand hills or lands in profusion, while onably know, was dug down in 1872 or 1873 to fill Miller's River basins; the top of the knoll on which the memornd along the coast. It came up the Charles and Miller's Rivers, flooding all the lands along them nearly to or
1 2