Your search returned 452 results in 66 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
urchases and sales in this neighborhood, we find him making investments elsewhere: for example, Dec. 10, 1655, he sells to Richard Champney five hundred acres in Billerica. In 1660 he sold four hundred acres for £ 404, in West Medford, to Thomas Brooks and Timothy Wheeler. These lands, held under the old Indian deed, have continue conclude, according to our weak apprehensions, that as few bridges should be built at the county's charge as possibly may be; only those two bridges, i. e., at Billerica and Mistick, to be finished at the county's charge, and for time to come maintained in repair by the towns and precincts in which they are, and those towns that dges, and their abatements to be satisfied to the undertakers of those bridges, or repaid again to such as have paid, as followeth: i.e., Chelmsford, two pounds; Billerica, one pound; Charlestown, ten pounds; Meadford, two pounds; and what these shall fall short of satisfying those above-mentioned abatements, made up out of the cou
p the valley, through the east part of Woburn, to Wilmington, and found an easy and very regular ascent until they reached Concord River; a distance travelled, as the surveyor says, from Medford Bridge to the Billerica Bridge, about twenty three miles; and the ascent he found to be, from Medford River to the Concord, sixty-eight and one-half feet. The actual elevation, when afterwards surveyed by a practical engineer, was found to be one hundred and four feet. By the original survey from Billerica to Chelmsford, the surveyor says, The water we estimate in the Merrimac at sixteen and one-half feet above that at Billerica Bridge, and the distance six miles; when, in fact, the water at Billerica Bridge is about twenty-five feet above the Merrimac at Chelmsford. This report shows one of the many difficulties the directors had to contend with for the want of requisite scientific knowledge. On the first (lay of March, the directors passed a vote, appointing Loammi Baldwin, Esq., to re
njamin Fletcher.  103Abigail, b. July 19, 1734; m.----Abbot, of Billerica.  104Ann, b. Apr. 22, 1736; m. L. Whiting, of Hollis, N. H.  10resh Pond and Menotomy River, whence he removed to Shawshine, now Billerica. He had twelve children, of whom Samuel (8) was the youngest, whufts. 2d, Susan Tufts.  207John.  208Hannah, m. Mr. Davis, of Billerica. 77-133HUTCHINSON Tufts, jun., m. Mary----, and had--  133-209Hinda Tufts (No. 203), and had--  174-234Joseph Bernard, lives in Billerica.  235Edmund.  236Alfred, b. c. 1837. 110-175ASA Tufts m. Mary ua Symonds, jun. May 23, 1781.Sarah Tufts, m. Asa Richardson, of Billerica. Mar. 31, 1783.Abigail Tufts, m. Joseph Tufts, of Charlestown. d, he owned the house shown on a preceding page, and also land in Billerica and Charlestown. He was in service, under Major Swayne, against mas Willis m. Grace----, who d. Jan. 23, 1716. He lived first in Billerica, where he had three or four children. He moved afterwards to M
married Elizabeth Slidgett, not Sidgett. Page 558.Jonathan Wade (No. 1) had Mary, baptized October, 1663, who married William Symonds; also daughter Sarah. Prudence (No. 5) married, second, Rev. Seaborn Cotton. Page 558.Jonathan (No. 1-2) had Deborah, baptized March 24, 1667; Prudence, June 6, 1669; Catharine, Aug. 27, 1671,--died soon; Catharine, June 22, 1673; Susanna, June 10, 1677; Dorothy, July 10, 1681; all before Dudley (No. 2-8). Page 563.Technically, Bedford was a precinct of Billerica when John Whitmore resided there. Page 568.I am authorized to say that John Willis was very probably the same as No. 3-11. note.--The compiler desires to offer his thanks to the following gentlemen for valuable aid in pursuing his investigations: to Dr. Booth and Dean Dudley, Esq., for the Tufts; to Rev. A. H. Quint, for the Halls; to T. B. Wyman, jun., for the Wymans, and others; and, finally, to Hon. James Savage, for very many facts and corrections throughout the whole extent of
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Farmer, John 1789-1838 (search)
Farmer, John 1789-1838 Historian; born in Chelmsford, Mass., June 12, 1789; became a school-master, but abandoned this profession to enter trade; was one of the founders and corresponding secretary of the New Hampshire Historical Society. Among his works are Belknap's history of New Hampshire; Genealogical register of the first settlers of New England; Histories of Billerica and Amherst, etc., and, in connection with J. B. Moore, the Collections of New Hampshire. He died in Concord, N. H., Aug. 13; 1838.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Hazen, Henry Allen 1832- (search)
Hazen, Henry Allen 1832- Historian; born in Hartford, Vt., Dec. 27, 1832; graduated at Dartmouth College in 1854, and at Andover Theological Seminary in 1857; held various Congregational pastorates in the New England States; became editor of the Congregational year-book in 1883. His publications include The ministry and churches of New Hampshire; History of Billerica, Mass.; New Hampshire and Vermont (historical address). He died in Norwich, Vt., Aug. 4, 1900.
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 10: Middlesex County. (search)
s: In 1861, $22.00; in 1862, $234.00; in 1863, $599.08; in 1864, $641.44; in 1865, $400.00. Total amount, $1,896.52. Billerica Incorporated May 29, 1655. Population in 1860, 1,776; in 1865, 1,808. Valuation in 1860, $1,042,071; in 1865, $1,0uch articles of clothing and equipment, not furnished by the State, for the comfort and convenience of such citizens of Billerica as may volunteer in the military service of the United States, and that they look after and provide for the families oee appointed for that purpose reported the following resolutions, which were adopted:— Resolved, That the people of Billerica will respond to whatever call is made upon them, either for men or money, to the full extent of their resources. Res town for such sums of money as they might require for the purpose. The treasurer was directed to borrow the money. Billerica furnished one hundred and seventy-three men for the war, which was a surplus of four over and above all demands. Seven
. A. Abington 536 Acton 367 Acushnet 116 Adams 60 Agawam 294 Alford 62 Amesbury 172 Amherst 331 Andover 175 Arlington (see West Cambridge) 467 Ashburnham 603 Ashby 369 Ashfield 254 Ashland 371 Athol 604 Attleborough 118 Auburn 606 B. Barnstable 27 Barre 607 Becket 65 Bedford 372 Belchertown 332 Bellingham 482 Belmont 373 Berkley 122 Berlin 609 Bernardston 256 Beverly 177 Billerica 375 Blackstone 611 Blandford 296 Bolton 613 Boston 582 Boxborough 377 Boxford 180 Boylston 616 Bradford 182 Braintree 483 Brewster 31 Bridgewater 538 Brighton 378 Brimfield 298 Brookfield 616 Brookline 485 Buckland 267 Burlington 381 C. Cambridge 382 Canton 490 Carlisle 391 Carver 540 Charlestown 393 Charlemont 259 Charlton 618 Chatham 33 Chelmsford 399 Chelsea 591 Cheshire 66
earliest productions were Peirce's New England Almanack, and the Bay Psalm Book, and there was afterward printed that monument of labor, Eliot's Indian Bible. The complaints of insufficient land led to extensive grants of territory, until from 1644 to 1655 Cambridge attained enormous dimensions, including the whole areas of Brighton and Newton on the south side of the river, and on the other hand in a northwesterly direction the whole or large parts of Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, and Billerica. In 1655, this vast area was first curtailed by cutting off the parts beyond Lexington. Then in 1688, Newton, which had been known as Cambridge Village and sometimes as New Cambridge, became an independent township under name of Newtown. The Lexington area was known as Cambridge Farms, but the founding of a church there in 1696 was the preliminary to separation, and in 1713 Cambridge Farms became a distinct town by the name of Lexington. In 1754, the boundary between Cambridge and W
Real-estate interests of Cambridge. Leander M. Hannum. If we recall the fact that soon after the first settlement of Cambridge, in the spring of 1631, it embraced a territory thirty-five miles in length, including the towns of Billerica, Bedford, Lexington, Arlington, Brighton, and Newton, we shall see that our area has greatly decreased, as the extreme length of our present territory is only four miles, and the total area about four thousand acres, in spite of the fact that by legislative acts of 1855 and 1880, portions of Watertown and Belmont were granted to Cambridge. It exalts our estimate of the earlier commercial importance of our city when we read that by an act of Congress approved January 11, 1805, it was enacted that Cambridge should be a port of delivery, and subject to the same regulations as other ports of delivery in the United States. The custom-house was never built, yet under the stimulus given to real-estate interests by this act, large tracts of land on
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...