Your search returned 11 results in 5 document sections:

Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 22: the siege of Vicksburg. (search)
s made to recoil by a blow from a 32-pound shell, when she backed around the point at the sharp bend in the stream, and opened upon the fort with a heavy bow gun. After fighting for an hour in this half-sheltered position, she withdrew, when the De Kalb came forward, fought two hours, and in turn gave up the contest. On the following day March 12, 1863. General Ross, A bow gun. under cover of a forest, erected a land battery tin front of the Confederate works,, and at ten o'clock on the ort. The Chillicothe was soon hulled by an 18-pound Whitworth shot, which entered one of her port-holes, and struck and exploded a shell,, by which three of her men were killed and fourteen were wounded. The. Chillicothe then withdrew, but the De Kalb and the land batteries kept up the contest until sunset. Ross was now satisfied that the fort could not be taken with the force at his command, and he retreated by the route he came. On the way he was. met by General Quinby, March 21. of Mc
, and at five o'clock next morning reached the opposite side of the bend and commanded the river above. All Saturday the rebels had fired at intervals, whenever troops appeared in range on the banks, generally using Parrott missiles. Cooperating with the army was Rear-Admiral Porter, who had brought up three iron-clads and several mosquito vessels from his Mississippi fleet. The former were the Louisville, Lieutenant Commanding E. K. Owen; Cincinnati, Lieutenant Commanding Bache; and De Kalb, (old St. Louis,) Lieutenant Commanding Walker. The Admiral's flag-ship was the armed transport-steamer Uncle Sam. Saturday evening, at dusk, to determine the enemy's strength, the iron-clads were pushed forward, and engaged the Fort for an hour or two, each being struck, but with trifling loss of life. Sunday morning was occupied in getting the troops into position and preparing for our struggle. The enemy, finding themselves outnumbered, had abandoned all their outer works, and
d, informing me of the surrender. That officer stated that provision was exhausted, and that the position of the enemy rendered it impossible for the garrison to cut its way out; but two thousand five hundred of the garrison were fit for duty at the time of the surrender. The enemy advanced against Yazoo City both by land and water on the thirteenth. The attack by the gunboats was handsomely repulsed by our heavy battery, under the command of Commander Isaac N. Brown, of the navy. The De Kalb, the flag-ship of the hostile squadron, an iron-clad, mounting thirteen guns, was sunk by a torpedo. To the force advancing by land no resistance was made by the garrison, commanded by Colonel Creasman, of the Twenty-ninth North Carolina regiment. I have introduced my dispatch of May fourteenth into this report, because General Pemberton, after stating that it was not received until after the battle of Baker's Creek, claimed that although he had not acted on those instructions, the lett
Essex and Tyler she engaged the Confederate batteries at Columbus, Kentucky. The St. Louis, commanded by Lieutenant Leonard Paulding, participated in the capture of Fort Henry, going into action lashed to the Carondelet. She was struck seven times. At Fort Donelson she was Foote's flagship. Island No.10, Fort Pillow, Memphis — at all these places the St. Louis distinguished herself. On October 1, 1862, the St. Louis was renamed the Baron de Kalb. All through the Vicksburg operations the De Kalb saw service with Admiral Porter. On July 12, 1863, after the fall of Vicksburg, she was sunk by a torpedo in the Yazoo River. This photograph was a gift to the present owner from James B. Eads, the builder. with him that the running of the batteries was too great a risk, except one--Henry Walke, commander of the Carondelet. Are you willing to try it with your vessel? asked Foote, of Commander Walke, in the presence of the other officers. Yes, answered Walke, and it was agreed that t
s. Remaining all winter on his ranch, they went again next spring to Leavenworth, and hired as riders to the California Overland Express Company, in which business they remained until the outbreak of the rebellion. With the prospect of active service, they could not stand idly by and see others engaged, and accordingly recruited ten men, with whom they joined Captain William Cleaveland's independent company for the defence of the Kansas border. Their first exploit was a dash into De Kalb, Missouri, where they captured twelve or fourteen prisoners and forty horses and mules. A large party, however, pursued them, overtook and captured them at Atkinson's ferry, carried them to St. Joseph, and lodged them in jail. The good people of St. Joseph were very anxious to have them tried and sent to the penitentiary at once; but there was no court in session, and the only recourse was to lock them up in the jail, where they did not remain long. The guard was made drunk with drugged whisk