hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore) 8 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Plattsburg (New Jersey, United States) or search for Plattsburg (New Jersey, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 2 document sections:

ported that Jeff. Thompson, with a large force of cavalry and artillery, came North from New-Madrid. Our forces advanced from Bird's Point, and met his force at Sykestown. He was pursued into the swamps by the cavalry of Gen. Hamilton and Col. Morgan's brigade, and three pieces of artillery captured. Gen. Pope pursued another de We encamped the first night some twelve miles from Commerce. The second, had the interesting feature of a skirmish of our cavalry and some rebel cavalry, near Sykestown, in which we took four prisoners and three small rifled cannon, one of our men being slightly wounded. We encamped at night at Sykestown, on the Bird's Point anSykestown, on the Bird's Point and Fulton (Ark.) Railroad. About two o'clock on Sunday morning we had a terrific storm of thunder, lightning, and rain, and gained a rough experience of camp-life. The camp was flooded, but the men continued in good spirits, especially as there was expectation of a fight before night. The roads were bad and the day cold, such wea
o cope successfully with the heavy artillery of the enemy, despatched Col. Bissell, of the Engineer regiment, to Cairo, for some heavier guns, preferring, as he himself expressed it, to spend a little more time in reducing the place by siege than to sacrifice the lives of the men under his command, in an attempt to carry it by assault. Col. Bissell procured three thirty-two pound siege-guns and an eight-inch mortar. These were taken across the river to Bird's Point, thence by railroad to Sykestown, and then overland to their place of destination. Immediately on their arrival there, a force was sent out to drive in the enemy's pickets, and under cover of the darkness two parapets, eighteen feet in thickness and five feet high, were thrown up three hundred yards apart, with a curtain twelve feet thick connecting them, and flanked on each side by a breastwork and rifle-pits one hundred yards long. The platforms of hewn timber which had been previously fitted were laid down, the guns