Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: February 10, 1862., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Nags Head (North Carolina, United States) or search for Nags Head (North Carolina, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

steamer was set on fire. Several houses on the island were set on fire by the enemy's hot shot. The assailing force attempted to land under cover of their guns. They had not succeeded in this attempt when the messenger left. No killed of our side were reported up to two o'clock yesterday. It was supposed that the fight would be renewed this morning. The bombarding vessels were stationed about two miles from the island. Gen. Wise is very ill. He has removed his headquarters to Nag's Head. F. [second Dispatch.] Norfolk, Va., Feb. 8th, 1862. --Heavy and very rapid firing was heard here this morning. It commenced early in the morning and continued for some considerable time. There is no doubt but that the engagement has been renewed at Roanoke Island. [Third Dispatch.] Norfolk, Va., Feb. 9. --A courier arrived here this morning at 10 o'clock, from Roanoke. He left Roanoke Island yesterday at 5 o'clock, P. M. He states that the engagement between
9. --The Wise Legion with few exceptions, and the balance of the 4th Brigade of this department, were captured on Roanoke Island yesterday by an overwhelming force after two days hard fighting. Captains Coles and O. Jennings Wise, are severely wounded, and are reported killed. Major Lawson, of Col. Henningsen's regiment, is wounded and a prisoner. Lieut. Miller, of the Jackson Guard, is shot through the shoulder. Gen. Wise was confined to his bed from pneumonia at Nag's Head. He and his staff are safe. Col. Richardson is also safe. Major Fry, Capt. Wallace, Capt. Dickinson, Lieut. Carter and Lieut. Bigger are prisoners. Capt. Farish, and Burr and Levy, of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues, are safe. Frank Johnson a prisoner, unhurt. Dr. W. O. Shepherdson, well known as "Bohemian," correspondent of the Dispatch, was captured. Col. Henningsen and his artillery are safe at Elizabeth City. All our guns in the batteries were spiked before su
patches.] Norfolk, February 8. --The engagement at Roanoke Island commenced on Friday forenoon, and continued until two o'clock in the afternoon, when the courier left. The enemy then ceased the most energetic portion of their attack. The attempt of the Federals to land failed. Two of their steamers were much damaged. Our batteries were uninjured. The firing on our part was conducted with great coolness. Some private residences on the Island were injured. Gen. Wise is at Nags Head, sick in bed. His physicians could only with great difficulty prevent his joining in the fight. Heavy firing was heard south of Norfolk up to half-past 1 o'clock to day. It is presumed to have been the cannonading at Roanoke Island. [second Dispatch.] Norfolk, Va., Feb. 9th. --An officer from the Confederate steamer Curlew has just arrived from Roanoke Island, and reports that the Curlew had been sunk by the enemy.--The other Confederate gun-boats had withdrawn to Elizabet