Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Sharpsburg (Ohio, United States) or search for Sharpsburg (Ohio, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 5 results in 5 document sections:

ps under Gen. Miles replying frequently. The funeral of Col. George W. Pratt, of the New York Twentieth regiment, took place at Albany to-day. It was one of the largest assemblages ever seen in that city on a similar occasion. It was attended by the Governor and staff, the Tenth and Twenty-fifth regiments, deputations from Masonic orders, and a number of distinguished strangers from New York and elsewhere. An engagement took place at Munfordsville, Ky., between a force of Union troops stationed in that town, under the command of Col. Wilder, Seventeenth Indiana, and a large body of rebels, under General Duncan, resulting, after a fight of seven hours duration, in the repulse of the rebels with great loss.--(Docs. 121 and 207.) This evening the Union cavalry at Harper's Ferry, two thousand in number, succeeded in cutting their way out by the Sharpsburgh road, and while so doing captured one hundred prisoners, and the rebel General Longstreet's wagon train.--(Doc. 120.)
of their camp, and captured and destroyed all their camp equipage, killing seven, and capturing nine. They pursued them about one and a half miles, when they were reenforced by two regiments of infantry and three pieces of artillery. The National force then fell back without the loss of a man. Major John J. Key was dismissed from the service of the United States for having replied to the question propounded to him--Why was not the rebel army bagged immediately after the battle near Sharpsburgh? --that it was not the game; that we should tire the rebels out and ourselves; that that was the only way the Union could be preserved, we come together fraternally, and slavery be saved. Augusta, Ky., was captured by a force of rebel guerrillas, under Captain Basil Duke. The home guard, under the command of Colonel Bradford, vigorously attacked the rebels from the houses; but, being outnumbered, they were compelled to surrender, but not before killing and wounding a large number of
els still held their position in the vicinity of Winchester. The Twenty-second regiment of New Jersey volunteers, nine months men, left Trenton for the seat of war. The regiment was fully equipped, and composed principally of young men from the farming districts.--Brig.-Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore, having been assigned by General Wright to the command of the district of Western Virginia, entered upon his duties to-day, establishing his headquarters at Point Pleasant.--A spirited cavalry skirmish took place near Sharpsburgh, Md., in which the rebels were dispersed, and a squad of them captured.--Baltimore American, September 30. Three hundred and sixty-three disloyal citizens of Carroll County, Mo., were assessed eleven thousand dollars by the Board of Commissioners appointed under General Order No. Three, for killing and wounding loyal soldiers and citizens, and for taking property belonging to said persons. The sums levied ranged from two to one thousand dollars on each person.
g of one thousand five hundred troops and seven gunboats, from Hilton Head, S. C., under command of Gen. Brannan, which had concentrated at St. John's River, Fla., attacked and occupied the rebel fortifications on St. John's Bluff, capturing nine guns and a large quantity of munitions, provisions, and camp equipage abandoned by the rebels in their retreat. The gunboats afterward ascended the river to Jacksonville, the rebels retreating at their approach. From his headquarters near Sharpsburgh, Md., General McClellan issued a congratulatory order to the army under his command, for the victories achieved by their bravery at the battles of South-Mountain and Antietam. Fourteen guns, thirty-nine colors, fifteen thousand five hundred stand of arms, and nearly six thousand prisoners taken from the enemy, were, he said, evidences of the completeness of their triumph. A joint resolution was adopted by the Virginia (rebel) Legislature, providing that no person within that State shou
m; and as General Humphrey had no artillery, and the object of the reconnoissance having been accomplished, he withdrew his forces across the river. The steamer John H. Dickey, plying between St. Louis, Mo., and Memphis, Tennessee, was this day attacked by a band of rebel guerrillas, in the vicinity of Pemiscot Bayou, Missouri, but escaped without much injury. No one was killed, and only one person slightly wounded.--The rebel Brigadier-General George B. Anderson, who was wounded at Sharpsburgh, Md., died at Raleigh, North-Carolina. A reconnoissance under the command of General Hancock, left Bolivar Heights early this morning and proceeded toward Charlestown, Va. When a mile and a half from the town, the rebels opened fire upon the Union troops from a battery of five pieces, which was responded to by Clark's and Tompkins's Rhode Island batteries, for about two hours, when the rebels fell back to the hills beyond the town. The rebels' guns were well served, but only a few o