Your search returned 174 results in 60 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1., Incidents of the first Bull Run. (search)
collect, with the rear-guard, as had been the case when we left Harper's Ferry a month before. It was thought probable that Patterson, who was south of the Potomac, and only a few miles distant, would follow us. But J. E. B. Stuart and Ashby with the cavalry so completely masked our movement that it was not suspected by Patterson until July 20th, the day before the Bull Run fight, and then it was too late for him to interfere. On the second day of the march an order reached me at Rectortown, Virginia, through Brigadier-General Barnard E. Bee, to collect the four field-batteries of Johnston's army into one column, and, as senior artillery captain, to march them by country roads that were unobstructed by infantry or trains as rapidly as possible to Manassas Junction, and to report my arrival, at any hour, day or night, to General Bee, who was going forward by rail with his brigade. Having assembled the batteries in the night, I began the march at dawn of Saturday, July 20th, the da
ntral railroad at Charlottesville, to destroy the bridge over the Rivanna River, while I passed through Manassas Gap to Rectortown, and thence by rail to Washington. On my arrival with the cavalry near Front Royal on the 16th, I halted at the house G. Wright, Commanding Sixth Army Corps. At 5 o'clock on the evening of the 16th I telegraphed General Halleck from Rectortown, giving him the information which had come to me from Wright, asking if anything corroborative of it had been received er and Cedar Creek, and had ordered three hundred cavalry to Martinsburg to escort me from that point to the front. At Rectortown I met General Augur, who had brought a force out from Washington to reconstruct and protect the line of railroad, and tHalleck: headquarters armies of the United States, Washington, D. C., October 16, 1864. To Major-General Sheridan, Rectortown, Va. General Grant says that Longstreet brought with him no troops from Richmond, but I have very little confidence in
innati Gazette, December 3. This day General Blenker, learning that a party of rebel cavalry were foraging a few miles in front of his position at Hunter's Chapel, Va., despatched a squadron of horsemen to drive them off. They met, and a brief engagement ensued before the rebels put spurs to their horses and ran off, having three or four killed and wounded, and leaving two prisoners. The Nationals lost one man killed. The names of the prisoners are Alexander Maxwell, of Rectortown, Fauquier County, Virginia, and Wm. H. Dennis, of salem, in the same county. The latter's horse was taken with him. They were both members of Company H, Sixth regiment of Wise (Va.) Dragoons, Col. Field commanding. They had been sent to forage from their camp, two miles from Centreville.--Washington Star, Dec. 3. A sharp engagement between the U. S. gunboats Hetzel, Seymour, White Head, Shawshene, and the rebel steamer Patrick Henry, took place about five miles above Newport News, Va. The bombar
January 1, 1864. A detachment of seventy-five men, composed of a proportionate number from each of four companies constituting Major Henry A. Cole's Maryland cavalry battalion, on a scout in the vicinity of Harper's Ferry, Maryland, were suddenly encountered, at a point near Rectortown, by a force of rebel cavalry, belonging to the brigade under the command of General Rosser. After fighting gallantly and until fifty-seven out of their number (seventy-five) were either killed or captured, the remaining eighteen made their way in safety to camp. Several of those who escaped found their feet frozen when they reached camp. Colonel William S. Hawkins, of the Hawkins scouts, a leader in the scouting service of the rebel forces under General Bragg, was captured at the house of a Mr. Mayberry, on Lick Creek, Kentucky, by Sergeant Brewer, of Major Breathitt's battalion of Kentucky cavalry.--at Memphis, Tennessee, the thermometer stood at ten degrees below zero, and at Cairo, Illin
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Volume 2., Fighting Jackson at Kernstown. (search)
promptly taken to prepare our troops to meet them. The Confederates were held in check several hours, and that night Banks's retreat was continued toward Martinsburg. See p. 288.--Editors. With the information of this reverse came the order directing Shields's division to move back to the Shenandoah, while Fremont crossed the mountains to strike the army of Jackson before it could retreat from the valley. On the 25th Shields's division commenced its return, and, without halting, reached Rectortown on the evening of the 28th, where we stopped for rest and to await supplies. At 4 P. M. of the 29th the following order was received: Colonel Kimball, commanding First Brigade: You will march immediately; leave your teams and wagons, take only ambulances, ammunition-wagons, and provisions, as much as on hand in haversacks. Shields, Brigadier-General commanding. At 6 P. M. my command was moving for Front Royal. Marching all night (save 2 1/2 hours for rest and refreshment at Manassas
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Volume 2., chapter 8.58 (search)
der General Lee, which had compelled the retreat of McClellan to Harrison's Landing, I was positively assured that two days more would see me largely enough reenforced by the Army of the Potomac to be not only secure, but to assume the offensive against Lee, and I was instructed to hold on and fight like the devil. I accordingly held on till the 26th of August, when, finding myself to be outflanked on my right by the main body of Lee's army, while Jackson's corps having passed Salem and Rectortown the day before were in rapid march in the direction of Gainesville and Manassas Junction, and seeing that none of the reinforcements promised me were likely to arrive, I determined to abandon the line of the Rappahannock and communications with Fredericksburg, and concentrate my whole force in the direction of Warrenton and Gainesville, to cover the Warrenton pike, and still to confront the enemy rapidly marching to my right. Reynolds's division of Porter's corps, having arrived at Aqui
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3., The removal of McClellan. (search)
tern side of the Blue Ridge, as the President had originally desired, picked up the Third and Eleventh Corps and Bayard's division of cavalry on striking the railway opposite Thoroughfare Gap, and on the 5th of November made his headquarters at Rectortown, with all his arrangements in progress for concentrating the army near Warrenton. This movement in effect placed the Army of the Potomac, with a force double that of the Army of Northern Virginia, The Official Records show that at this tihrew away such an opportunity for any cause that appears in Halleck's letter. General C. P. Buckingham, the confidential assistant adjutant-general of the Secretary of War, bore these orders from Washington by a special train. He arrived at Rectortown in a blinding snow-storm. First calling upon Burnside to deliver to him a counterpart of the order, late on the night of November 7th these two officers proceeded together to General McClellan's tent. McClellan says: McClellan's own story,
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3., The pontoniers at Fredericksburg. (search)
Falmouth several days before had he been allowed to do so; he then rode away. We were ordered back into camp, and the golden opportunity passed — a blunder for which we were in no way responsible, but for which we were destined to suffer. We did not receive the order to leave Berlin, six miles below Harper's Ferry, until late on the seventh day after it was issued. The Official Records show that this order, issued by Captain J. C. Duane, Chief-Engineer of the Army of the Potomac at Rectortown, on the 6th of November, did not reach Major Spaulding, at Berlin, until the afternoon of November 12th. General Halleck's report exonerates the engineers from all blame.--editors. We took up two bridges, each 1100 feet long, loaded and moved them by canal and land transportation to Washington, where we received 500 unbroken mules. We then fitted up two trains, moved through the mud to Occoquan, where we divided the trains, part going by water and part by land to Aquia Creek, where we aga
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 18: Lee's invasion of Maryland, and his retreat toward Richmond. (search)
ense wagon-train, and others followed him. Perceiving this movement; the Confederates began retreating up the Shenandoah Valley, followed by Generals Sedgwick and Hancock a short distance. By the 4th, Nov. the National army, re-enforced by the divisions of Generals Sigel and Sickles from Washington, occupied the whole region east of the Blue Ridge, with several of its gaps, from Harper's Ferry to Paris, on the road from Aldie to Winchester, and on the 6th McClellan's Headquarters were at Rectortown, near Front Royal. The Confederates, meanwhile, were falling back, and so, from the Potomac to Front Royal and Warrenton, the two great armies moved in parallel lines, with the lofty range of the Blue Ridge between them, and Richmond as the seeming objective. That race was watched with the most intense anxiety. It was hoped that McClellan, with his superior force and equipment and ample supplies, might capture or disperse the army of his opponent by gaining its front, and striking it
e considerable; but the indirect, the moral, advantages it secured to the enemy were of infinitely greater moment. To drive General Banks from Strasburg across the, Potomac was in itself a play not worth the candle; but the real object of the expedition was to prevent General McDowell's division from being sent to reinforce General McClellan; and it unfortunately succeeded. When news of the attack on Colonel Kenley's command at Front Royal, on the 23d, reached General Geary, who was at Rectortown with a force charged with the protection of the Manassas Gap Railroad, he immediately hogan to move to Manassas Junction. His troops, alarmed by exaggerated reports of the fate of the regiment at Front Royal, burnt their tents and destroyed a quantity of arms. The contagion of panic spread to Catlett's Station, where was General Duryea with four regiments. He hastened to Centreville, and telegraphed to Washington for help. The rumors were swelled and magnified on their way to the capit
1 2 3 4 5 6