whom they should transport to the province of Maine within seven years, who should continue there three years, and an absolute grant of 12,000 acres of land as their proper inheritance forever, to be laid out near the Pemaquid River.
In 1677 Governor Andros sent a sloop, with some forces, to take possession of the territory in Maine called Cornwall, which had been granted to the Duke of York.
He caused Fort Frederick to be built at Pemaquid Point, a headland of the southwest entrance to Bristol Bay.
The Eastern Indians, who, ever since King Philip's War, had been hostile, then appeared friendly, and a treaty was made with them at Casco, April 12, 1678, by the commissioners, which put an end to a distressing war. In 1692 Sir William Phipps, with 450 men, built a large stone fort there, which was superior to any structure of the kind that had been built by the English in America.
It was called Fort William Henry, and was garrisoned by sixty men. There, in 1693, a treaty was made wit
of the Grand Cham.
But he saw no human being whatsoever, although there were marks that the region was inhabited.
He planted on the land a large cross with the flag of England, and from affection for the Republic of Venice, he added also the banner of St. Mark, which had never before been borne so far. On his homeward voyage he saw on his right hand two islands, which for want of provisions he could not stop to explore.
After an absence of three months, the great discoverer re-entered Bristol harbor, where due honors awaited him. The king gave him money, and encouraged him to continue his career.
The people called him the great admiral; he dressed in silk; and the English, and even Venetians who chanced to be at Bristol, ran after him with such zeal that he could enlist for a new voyage as many as he pleased.
A second time Columbus had brought back tidings from the land and isles which were still described as the outposts of India.
It appeared to be demonstrated that ships migh