es through the site of the First Parish Church, where the third meeting-house was built, the Brooks and the Cummings Schools; the second, or halfmile, through the city farm, Hall road, Medford square, Cradock school, and West Medford R. R. station.
The three-quarter mile radius reaches the Brooks Farm building, the site of the Wheeler mill just above Menotomy river, the end of Woburn street at Playstead road, the old mill site on Whitmore brook and also the one on Meeting-house brook, Gravelly brook at Forest street, the Everett school and the Royall House.
One mile is just beyond Wear bridge, the farther corner of Oak Grove, Bear meadow, Earl avenue and Fulton street at the Fellsway, Park street, Mystic park and Tufts College. One and a quarter miles would reach the old Powder House in Somerville, and one and a half the so-called Cradock House.
With the latter exception, the spot selected for its building was central then.
Ye olde meeting-house of Meadford, occupies a pecul
s in those days and two and a half columns were devoted to an account of Rev. Dr. Adams' Ideal of a Merchant.
These were usually in the Town Hall, but on this occasion American Hall was used.
A comment was, The hall was well lighted, warmed and very convenient.
The Ladies' Fair and Levee, on December 30, 1856, (same evening as the lecture) in the Town Hall, drew together, a highly respectable company.
The Methodist ladies were raising money to buy an organ for their church, (beside Gravelly brook then). The Universalist minister (Maxham), and the Orthodox (Marvin), were present and spoke encouraging words.
And be it noticed, the levee was opened by singing of hymns and prayer.
Their minister was Rev. E. S. Best. Hon. J. M. Usher was there (of course he was) and in his remarks, for he was always ready with a speech, he alluded to the Best Methodists.
Mr. Usher's wit seems to have been lost on the Journal man, as he alludes to Mr. Bess several times, and reports Mr. Usher as say
Register is under obligation for its illustrations.
Shortly after such introduction the old man was visited by numerous people, to whom his existence was a revelation.
Some took the woodland walk and returned no wiser, having failed to discover him, though passing within a rod of his stony face.
Of course the reader will understand that, like every thing else of the kind, all depends on the point of view.
As one leaves Forest street and enters the Fells, Quarry road takes him over Gravelly brook.
A few rods ahead to the right the rock ledge crops out, the eastern end of the old granite quarry.
Whether here was the end or the beginning of the quarrymen's work may never be known, but the farther, or western side of the rock is rent and torn by their blasts, while the eastern and southern are the natural slope.
As one walks along it is simply a woodland vista that he sees.
A few steps farther and the massive head begins to assume shape; a little farther and the forehead and
natives were so often asked the way to Lole by emigrants on foot, John Howe, a selectman whose business was near by, insisted on lettering this post thus for their information.
As very few of them could read, the guide-post was called Howe's Folly.
The first mill employees at Lowell were from the country towns of New England; but later came the deluge.
James Ewell, who was employed on the highways many years, said that after its removal the stone post was built into a bridge over Gravelly brook, and that the heavy cap-stone lay for a time in the department yard on Swan street.
We well remember the old way-mark at the street corner, a portion painted white to receive the black letters.
As we recall it, there was a lantern projected cornerwise from it over the sidewalk and lighted with gas.
Mr. Wait's letter suggests a study of the view of Medford Square shown in Brooks' history.
In that steel engraving (from a daguerreotype by Wilkinson) the tall stone post is clearly s
In recent years his successors placed on their sign, Established 1825.
Henry Withington had never learned the trade or business of a baker by apprenticeship, but with good judgment gained by observation, took up the occupation, and with a partner, and employing experienced help, started in business in that year.
The ovens that Withington and Lane used were those of some earlier baker and were located in the rear of Mr. Barker's house.
This house was moved beyond Gravelly brook in 1846 to make room for the Mystic church.
After two years Mr. Lane went out and Mr. Withington continued in business by himself.
But on December 25, 1827, he took in another partner, as he married Eunice Blanchard, daughter of the famous Medford innkeeper, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Caleb Stetson, who had early in that year begun a pastorate in Medford of twenty-one years. They came to live in the house on Salem street, across River street from the ancient burial grou
was two hundred years ago.
In some respects correct.
The marshes would of themselves change but little.
But the earliest Medford had comparatively little marshland.
What it had, began nearly two miles up-stream and practically ended below Gravelly brook, as there was but little beyond the Ford at Mistick.
We know not how those six miles were computed, and doubt whether Winthrop's company reached the farther Medford lines, or even Mistick pond or the Indian weare.
The sinuous course of ththe voyagers by the Ten-hills farm, the ford and to the scarred promontory of Rock hill.
From the ford onward, the sylvan scene must have been enchanting, as the Medford Pasture hill with its wooded slopes rose abruptly from the plain beside Gravelly brook, but more gently from the river.
Then came the brooks before and beyond Rock Hill, those later to be known as Meeting-house and Whitmore, and then the long encircling reach of the river to the Indian weare and fording place.
Surely the Cr
molished, making place for the new and imposing (?) passenger station.
A large lumber yard, with its old tide mill and wharves, where the lumber schooners unloaded, was in evidence beyond.
The mill and pond are no more, and we lose sight of Gravelly brook at Salem street, but it still flows underground to the river.
With the building of ships up-stream came the construction of a new bridge with its teetering draw spans, and newer structures close beside the river.
The town hall, built in 1in 1880, the first modernizing change.
But before that, the old houses beyond, called Rotten row, gave place to the four-apartment block called Doctors' row, so recently refitted by Sinclair and others.
The big, threestory house, now beyond Gravelly brook, was moved out to give Mystic Church its place.
Next was Withington's bakery, the home of the Medford Cracker, and that of C. P. Lauriat, the gold beater.
Beyond these, except for the Methodist and Baptist meeting-houses, for so they stil