hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War. 158 0 Browse Search
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 105 3 Browse Search
James Russell Soley, Professor U. S. Navy, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.1, The blockade and the cruisers (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 76 0 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1. 68 0 Browse Search
James Barnes, author of David G. Farragut, Naval Actions of 1812, Yank ee Ships and Yankee Sailors, Commodore Bainbridge , The Blockaders, and other naval and historical works, The Photographic History of The Civil War: in ten volumes, Thousands of Scenes Photographed 1861-65, with Text by many Special Authorities, Volume 6: The Navy. (ed. Francis Trevelyan Miller) 62 4 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2. 58 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 11. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 48 0 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore) 40 2 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore) 40 2 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 13. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 36 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Hampton Roads (Virginia, United States) or search for Hampton Roads (Virginia, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 21 results in 10 document sections:

rence to prisoners coming into possession of the navy. After landing them I shall return to Hampton Roads. Respectfully, your obedient servant, S. H. Stringham, Flag-officer Atlantic Blockading eon Welles, Secretary of Navy: sir: I have the honor to inform the Department that I left Hampton Roads August 26, 1861, the earliest moment the weather would permit, with the flag-ship Minnesota, and experienced gentlemen, I feel sure that what I have heard is true. The expedition left Hampton Roads at a few minutes after one o'clock on Monday afternoon, precisely the hour agreed upon threeteras to join the attack, and the Susquehanna, side-wheel steam ship-of-war, then overdue at Hampton Roads, was also under orders to follow as early as possible. The transports conveyed five hundredteras, General Butler and staff took passage on the Minnesota, which led the fleet. We left Hampton Roads at noon on Monday, and on Tuesday afternoon we arrived off Hatteras Inlet, and the Cumberlan
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 36. battle of Port Royal, S. C. Fought November 7, 1861. (search)
he force under my command embarked at Annapolis, Md., on the 21st of October, and arrived at Hampton Roads, on the 22d. In consequence of the delay in the arrival of some of our transports and the uhe harbor of Port Royal. On Tuesday, the 29th of October, the fleet under my command left Hampton Roads, and, with the army transports, numbered fifty vessels. On the day previous I had despatcheannah, not wishing to give the true point of the fleet. The weather had been unsettled in Hampton Roads, though it promised well when we sailed. But off Hatteras it blew hard; some ships got into8, 1861. sir: I have the honor to report that the marine battalion under my command, left Hampton Roads on the transport steamboat Governor, on the morning of Tuesday, the 29th of October, with thon: U. S. Steamer Pocahontas, Port Royal, S. C., Nov. 8, 1861. We were to have left Hampton Roads on the 25th October, but did not make a start until the 29th. The fleet consisted of eighte
have destroyed the vessel, had we received assistance from the Indianians on shore. I cannot but feel that it was to their neglect to assist us that the loss of the Fanny may be attributed. Nor do I think it was policy in Capt. Rowan or Col. Hawkins to have sent the Fanny to Chicomicomico without an escort or sufficient guard on board, when she had so valuable a cargo. Upon my return to Hatteras Inlet, I made report of the loss to Capt. Rowan, and on Friday, 4th instant, went up to Hampton Roads with my crew. Here I reported to Gen. Mansfield, and detailed the circumstances of the capture of the Fanny. He acquitted me from blame, and furnished me and my crew with passes to Philadelphia. It is true I am not nor have I been recognized by the Navy Department as commander of the Fanny. She has never been regularly commissioned as a gunboat, although doing nearly three months active and successful duty as such. Neither have my crew been recognized by the Department, and if mys
nds, that, before the boat was near enough to take them, they both plunged into the surf, and, while the boat was picking Haver out of the water, Charles White was drowned. Although a good swimmer, he was so exhausted for want of food, and by the exertions put forth to gain his liberty, that he sank, to rise no more, which was rather a hard fate to meet after succeeding so well in freeing himself from the enemy. I must close this, to send by the Susquehanna, as she is about leaving for Hampton Roads to coal. Norfolk day Book account: Captain Carrsville, of the Craville Guards, Third Georgia regiment, gives us the following statement: Colonel Wright left Camp Georgia, Roanoke Island, on Thursday, midnight, and arrived at Chicamacomico on Friday, October 4th. Col. Wright made the attack on the Federals at nine o'clock in the morning, by firing shell from two ten-pound howitzers from on board the transport Cotton Plant, when about one mile from the shore. As soon as the col
way, not a shot was fired by them. Our shots generally were well directed, and must have done execution. Fortunately, none of their shots hit us, but they came quite near enough. The officers and men were eager for the fray, and evinced a spirited determination to do their whole duty, and I was well pleased, not only with their conduct, but also with the precision of their aim. Samuel Lockwood, Commanding Officer. L. M. Goldsborough, Commanding the Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Hampton Roads, Va. A correspondent on board the Daylight gives the following account of this action: Yesterday, at four o'clock P. M., at the close of a heavy gale which had lasted for sixty hours, it was reported by the officer of the deck that a battery, whose existence had been previously unknown to us, situated on Lynn Haven Bay, had opened fire upon the American ship John Clarke, of Baltimore, which had arrived from Havre the day previous, and, anchoring in the bay during the gale, with two a
it, the depth of water not allowing us to approach the enemy nearer than one mile and a half. The rebels did not reply, except by musketry, when a boat from the Rescue attempted to approach the shore. There were no casualties in this action on our side. Since our arrival in this river, this vessel has been actively engaged in maintaining the blockade. Respectfully, your obedient servant, Wm. A. Parker, Commander. Flag-officer, L. M. Goldsborough, Commanding U. S. A. B. Squadron, Hampton Roads. A correspondent on board the steamer Cambridge, gives the following account of the expedition: U. S. steamer Cambridge, Blockading Rappahannock River, Nov. 6. Having learned from the negroes that came on board this morning, that a large schooner was anchored about ten miles up the Corrotowan Creek, we immediately made arrangements to cut her out. At half-past 11 A. M., an expedition under command of Lieutenant William Gwin, assisted by Acting Masters R. D. Eldridge and F. W
done at one thousand or twelve hundred yards. The enemy stood gallantly to their guns, but their hopes sank when the boast of their officers, that they would sink our ships if they tried to pass their line of fire, was falsified by our bold dash through. Our near approach saved us from being struck by most of their shot and shell, which were aimed high and whistled harmlessly over our heads. A movement of two gunboats up the bay, after their fire slackened, caused them to desert the forts and flee across the islands to avoid being cut off. Had we pilots for the creeks in which their steamers were concealed, the entire force of three thousand men might have been captured. The fort on Bay Point is similar to the south fort, and as heavily armed. I have not visited it yet. The bay is magnificent; it is as accessible as Hampton Roads, with as deep water, and our squadron rides as safely as there. We have heard but little of it, but there is not a better harbor on the coast.
he Santaren Passage, cruised to the northward along the shores of Florida and South Carolina as far as Charleston; our gallant captain, not satisfied with the important capture, fully determined to take part in the expedition against Port Royal, but, to the regret of all hands on board, we came too late. The Susquehanna and Alabama were off Charleston, and the Florida off Hatteras. After leaving Charleston Bay, we encountered strong head-winds, and our coal being exhausted, we put into Hampton Roads the next day, took in coal, and after battling forty hours with a severe north-wester, arrived at Sandy Hook, N. Y., about 7:30 P. M. on the 18th. On entering the Narrows, we were boarded by a steam-tug, with Marshal Murray and Deputy-Marshal Sanford on board. They delivered to Capt. Wilkes despatches from the Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles, and Secretary of State, William H. Seward. As soon as Capt. Wilkes read these despatches, he turned the ship's head to Boston, where Marsha
xchange. Lieut. Worden left Montgomery on the 14th, having given his parole not to divulge any thing which he might learn while in transit, to the disadvantage of the rebel Government. This parole was of no disadvantage to the National Government, from the fact that he saw nothing. He arrived at Richmond on Sunday evening, November 17th, having been detained one day by failure to connect, and stopped at the Exchange Hotel, which was filled with army officers. He obtained an interview with the Adjutant-General, and Acting Secretary of War Benjamin, and left early on Monday morning for Norfolk, and the following day went on board the frigate Minnesota, at Hampton Roads. After the fight at Santa Rosa Island, Major Vogdes and twenty-two of Wilson's men were confined in jail with him, from whom he learned further of the actual condition of Fort Pickens. He has no doubt that Fort Pickens can easily reduce the batteries and fortifications in the vicinity, as well as Fort McRae.
Doc. 242. affair in Hampton Roads, Va., December 29, 1861. A rebel account. We have the satisfaction of spreading before our readers to-day some of the particulars of a spirited and dashing achievement on the part of Commodore Lynch, of the for and took the abandoned schooner in tow. In the meantime one large steamer from Newport News, and ten others from Hampton Roads and the fortress, were making their way toward us, when an exciting scene took place; we endeavoring to carry the priife at this point was broken to-day by a discharge of considerable gunpowder on the part of the navy rendezvousing at Hampton Roads. The steamboat Express, from Newport News, which place she left at seven A. M., had in tow the schooner Sherwood, be a new pump, worth three hundred dollars, fell into the enemy's hands. It is to be hoped that the Navy Department at Hampton Roads will be more on the qui vive, and that our efficient Commodore will allow those vessels having guns of heavy calibre