Your search returned 58 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
ur recollections of our daily bath in this beloved river, that we think it worth while for parents to send their children from the country here to school, if only to strengthen and delight them with a salt bath in the Mystic. Brooks. That which runs a short distance east of the West Medford Depot, on the Lowell Railroad, was called Whitmore's Brook after the pious deacon, whose house was on the north side of High Street, about two rods west of the brook. It rises in Bear Meadow. Marble Brook, now called Meeting-house Brook, crosses High Street about forty rods north-east of Rock Hill. In spring, smelts resort to it in great numbers. The brook or creek over which Gravelly Bridge is built was called Gravelly Creek, but more lately Pine Hill Brook. The stream is small, but much swelled by winter rains. It has its source in Turkey Swamp. The brook which crosses the road, at a distance of a quarter of a mile south of the Royal house, was named Winter Brook. It has its so
dge. The bridge over Gravelly Creek, in Ship Street, was built by a few Medford persons, in 1746, for the purpose of making a road to the tide-mill. March 4, 1751: Voted to build a new bridge of stone where the present Gravelly Bridge is. This continued till recently, when a new one, built of stone, has been widened so as to cover the entire street. March 7, 1803: Voted, that the bridges over Meetinghouse and Whitmore's Brooks, so called, be rebuilt with stone. The bridge over Marble Brook, in West Medford (called Meeting-house Brook in later times), was made of wood at first, and so continued for more than a century; it was then built of stone, in 1803, and so continued till 1850, when it was rebuilt of stone, and made as wide as the street. The same remarks belong to the small bridge, called Whitmore's Bridge, farther west, and near the Lowell Railroad Station in West Medford. There is one feature connected with each of the four bridges, herein described, which is wor
eting-house erected, to be finished the first of October following, on the land of Mr. Thomas Willis, near the gate by Marble Brook, on a rock on the north side of Woburn Road. It shall be seven and twenty feet long, four and twenty feet wide, and fiose wisdom and impartiality harmonized every thing. The spot selected was,on the south side of the country road, near Marble Brook, four or five rods south-east of the bridge now across that stream, which afterwards took the name of Meeting-house Bruld have liberty to cut a door-place and make a door at the south end of the meeting-house into his pew. So near to Marble Brook was this house placed, that, on the 3d of December, 1745, the town voted to take all necessary measures to prevent thelhouse, twenty-four feet long, twenty feet wide, and ten feet stud, on town's land, by the meeting-house. It was near Marble Brook, on the north-west corner of the lot, upon the border of the road. The third schoolhouse stood very near the street
land a few rods south-west of the Episcopal church; and by Mr. Jonathan Brooks, on land near Marble Brook, now owned by Mr. Noah Johnson. The first tan-yard in Medford was on the corner lot south-eaits of said town the ensuing season. In 1855, Joseph L. Wheeler bought the upper reach, from Marble Brook to the Pond, for $27.50 per annum; and James Rogers bought the lower reach, from Marble BrookMarble Brook to the eastern border of the town, for $122.50 per annum. The annual sales have lately been less than $200. The shad and alewives were abundant till 1815 or 1820, when they began gradually to witBower, about one mile north of the meeting-house of the first parish, carried by the water of Marble Brook. The banks, race, canal, and cellar are yet traceable. This was used for grinding grain andd as such to our day. 1730; Mr. John Albree built a mill upon his own land, on a branch of Marble Brook. It stood about six rods west of Purchase Street, on land now owned by Mr. P. C. Hall, where
and Timothy Wheeler purchased of Mr. Collins their estate in Medford and Charlestown commons they also acquired a right in the landing at the Rocks next to John Mirrable's (Marble's) house. Does not this name suggest the source of the name of Marble brook? Marble must have been a tenant of Mr. Collins (possibly of Mr. Cradock also), and no doubt occupied the lands upon the borders of the brook. There was a landing at Wilson's point (Wellington) on Three Mile brook (Malden river). There is ar House, which now stands on land of Dr. Green, on the easterly side of Highland avenue. The easterly branch of Ramshead lane is supposed to have been the way leading to the old mill, and the settlement in its vicinity, that was situated on Marble brook about a mile from High street. note.—The map published in connection with the foregoing paper is offered for the purpose of enabling our readers to locate the points of interest named therein. It contains marks and legends that have no c
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., Some old Medford houses and estates. (search)
s, there were but two dwelling houses spoken of in the division, viz.: the brick house on Brooks lane and the house by Marble brook. The brick house, as has been before stated, was built by Major Jonathan Wade, and certain parts of it were set ofo Major Wade's widow; to his son, Dudley Wade, and to his daughters, Prudence Swan and Elizabeth Wade. The house by Marble brook was set off to his daughter, Katherine Wyer. This house stood where the Puffer house now stands. The four houses West of Marble brook. In 1660, when Messrs. Thomas Brooks and Timothy Wheeler purchased of Mr. Edward Collins the westerly portion of the Cradock farm, consisting of four hundred acres of land, there was but one house mentioned in the deed, and thathere are a few that were built prior to the year 1700 that are worthy of mention. All of these were situated west of Marble brook, for in that part of the plantation most of the new houses appear to have been erected during that period. This is no
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., Meeting-house brook and the second Meeting-house. (search)
mong clumps of brake and fern and masses of jewel-weed. The Canada lilies swing their bells along its course. It winds down a narrow dell where its waters once, held at flood, turned the wheel of Captain Marble's mill (formerly it was called Marble brook). A high bank and heap of stones mark the spot, and there the fringed orchid waves its plume. It flows under bridges shaded by willows, through beds of mint; and the monkey-flower in midsummer and the flaming cardinal flower in August love th the capacity of the old house must have been taxed to its utmost. On January 10th and later on, the 24th of January, 1726, in two town-meetings, the whole matter was definitely settled by the town purchasing of Mr. John Albree land adjoining Marble brook (Marrbelle brook in Town Records) for £ 55 for one acre, and deciding to build a new meeting-house thereon. A building committee of eleven men, whose names were important ones in the town's history, were chosen to attend to the matter. Thoma
erson to be licensed to retail beer, Ale, Rum, Syder &c. and to keep a House of Public Entertainment for the use of the town and strangers dated 18 day of July 1692. from your Worships humble servants, Nath. Wade, Stephen Willis, John Whitmore, Selectmen of Meadford. Mr. Willis was again granted a license. The next year (1693) we find Mr. Willis again licensed. Where the Willis Tavern was located we can only conjecture by the following: Mr. Willis owned land a short distance west of Marble brook, on the north side of the way from Medford to Woburn, and at the foot of Marm Simonds' Hill (this hill was called in the early days of the plantation, Marabels Hill), and as will hereinafter appear, this location is the same as that upon which stood a tavern named at times Pierce's, Usher's and Putnam's Tavern. The evidence to be submitted shows conclusively that upon this lot of land stood a house or houses that were used a good part of the time for over one hundred years as a place of
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The first book of records, Medford, Mass. (search)
e for one quarter of an acre of land for the erecting & setling a meting house neare or opon the Land that sd maior formerly appointed for a Schole house that sd meadford may inicy it for the publick house, etc., promising to erect one if permission was given. On January 17, 169 2/3, a vote was passed that a meetinghouse should be erected on or before May, 1694, and to be finished by the first of October following, or sooner, if possible, on the land of Mr. Thomas Willis near the gate by Marble brook on a rock on the north side of Oborn Rode, and that Peter Tufts, Caleb Brooks and Thomas Willis be a committee to bargain for the construction of the same, certain restrictions being put in relative to materials and work, the house to be seven & twenty foot long twenty four foot wide & fifteen foot between joynts. The building of this house was a subject of legislation during several meetings, the contract for the construction being finally given to Thomas Willis, John Whitmore, John Bra
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 11., Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. (search)
into its borders. Five have become devoted to business and residential use, leaving eighteen in present service, with one homeless society about to rebuild. One is the college church. Therefore, to eighteen organized bodies has increased the gathering at John Bradshaw's house on that winter day one hundred and ninety-five years ago. Could Rev. Mr. Woodbridge ride from Charlestown to Medford on horseback, as of yore, he would not have to alight and open the gate across the road near Marble brook ere he could proceed. Mr. Aaron Warner would find his old parish somewhat changed on doctrinal points, but ready to welcome him, and possibly he might not be pleased with the chiming bells and liturgical service across the country road, as he would call High street. Parson Turell would look in vain for his old home, only demolished in recent years. Perchance he might wonder if this was really Meadford. But we may do well, if we of this year of grace, 1906, serve our day and generati
1 2