Your search returned 438 results in 152 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
w Street, afterwards known as the Winthrop estate, which became his homestead. He d. 4 Ap. 1757; his w. Elizabeth d. 7 May 1764. David, s. of Spencer (1), m. Mary Greenleaf of Boston 13 Sept. 1753, and had Mary, b. 20 Ap. 1757; Spencer, b. 4 Mar. 1760; Sarah, b. 26 Ap. 1762; Rebecca, b 26 June 1763; William, b. 18 Dec. 1764; Stephen Greenleaf, b. 28 Ap. 1767; Elizabeth Hutchinson, b. 25 Sept. 1770. David the f. grad. H. C. 1741, was a Colonel, Representative 1753, and High Sheriff of Middlesex 1764-1774. He inherited the homestead, and resided there until the Revolution, when he adhered to the King and went with his family to England, where he d. 7 July 1811. His estate here was confiscated; but the loss was repaired by benefits which the British Government bestowed on him and on his children. Picke, John, by w. Mary, had Abigail, b. 22 Ap. 1642. See Pickering. Pickering, John, by w. Mary, had Lydia, b. 5 Nov. 1638. I suspect this John Pickering and the foregoing John
chil. were Joseph, b. 22 Feb. 1689; Joanna, b. 27 Oct. 1691, m. Edward Miller 2 Nov. 1715; Jabez, b. 30 Jan. 1695, resided at Marshfield and at Chs., where he d. 12 May 1772, leaving posterity; Susanna, b. 11 Ap. 1697; Huldah, b. about 1699, m. Ebenezer Kent 25 Dec. 1728, and d. 25 Feb. 1730-31; Abiel, b. 6 Aug. 1701, m. Richard Sprague 25 Dec. 1722. Joseph the f. resided in Chs., was a Captain, somewhat engaged in public business, and late in life became an attorney. By the Records of Middlesex it appears that in Aug. 1719 Capt. Joseph Whittemore, upon his motion to the Court, was admitted and sworn before the Court to the office of an attorney. Apparently, however, he derived not much pecuniary advantage from his honorable offices, for he d. insolvent in 1746; his w. Susanna survived. 10. Benjamin, S. of John (4), m. Esther Brooks of Concord about 1692, and had Benjamin, b. about 1696; Nathaniel; Aaron, b. 13 Dec. 1711, grad. H. C. 1734, ordained at Pembroke, N. H., 1 Mar.
Island, 1720 Established at Rainsford Island, 1737 A boat for the work provided, 1832 Quebec taken by Gen. Wolf; sensation in Boston, Sep. 18, 1759 Quincy Hall over the market, named, June 13, 1831 R. Railroad Hand. One to cart dirt, on west side Beacon Hill, June, 1811 Horse. One at Quincy Granite Works, Oct., 1826 Cambridge opened for travel, May 21, 1856 Metropolitan opened for travel, Sep. 17, 1856 South Boston opened for travel, Dec. 27, 1856 Middlesex opened for travel, Mar. 5, 1857 One opened to Brokline, Oct. 26, 1859 Suffolk to East Boston, opened Aug. 20, 1860 Cars run through Cornhill, Feb. 11, 1867 Double track from Tremont House, south, Dec. 2, 1867 Run through Berkeley and Boylston streets, Mar. 4, 1868 Run through Clarendon to Beacon street, Oct. 16, 1868 So. Boston cars drawn by men; horses sick, Oct. 3, 1872 Cars run through Harrison avenue, South End, May, 1877 Railroad Horse. Run whole length
‘Colonel Stephen Moylan, of Moylan's Dragoons, a witty Corkonian in the American army, gives a comic picture of Old put, the only thing, he says, that did not thaw during that sloppy winter. With solemn mien, says Moylan, ‘Old Put’ tramped amongst his men, answering every question with ‘Powder! Powder! Ye gods, give us powder!’ ’ Mr. Guild seems to connect this story with ‘these slopes’ of Prospect Hill as a ‘vivid picture of the scene,’ but Colonel S. A. Drake, in his ‘Old Landmarks of Middlesex,’ with somewhat more probability or truth transfers it to Lechmere Point in East Cambridge at a time in the dead of winter, 1775–‘76, when Putnam was there constructing works of defense, and when, owing to the ‘heavy fire’ of the British and to ‘the frozen condition of the ground, which made the labor one of infinite difficulty, it was not until the last days of February that the redoubts were completed.’ The severity of the season must have lessened in Januar
bury, Mass.40 Newell, John36 New England Bank, Boston43 ‘New England,’ Neal42 ‘New England's Crisis,’ Thompson34 New Haven, Conn.20 New Rochelle, N. Y.12, 13 Nixon, Col.94 Normandy, France10, 12 North, Charles H.45 North Church, Boston38 North Chelmsford, Mass.55 North End School, Boston62 North Weymouth, Mass.4 Norton, John34 Nowell, Alexander60 Nowell, Samuel60 New York City7 New York Independent, The6 Officers Somerville Historical Society24, 48, 72 ‘Old Landmarks of Middlesex’87 Old Middlesex Canal, Historical Sketch of49 Old Mill, The13, 66, 81 Old Pound, The26 Oliver Street, Somerville44 ‘Only A Keepsake’9 Otis Street, Somerville44 Oxford, Mass.12 Paine, William64 Parker, Ebenezer, Schoolmaster, 172565 Parks, Thomas38 Payson, Prudence33 Pearl Street, Somerville44 Pellock's Island18 ‘Pencillings,’ Somerville Journal5, 6 ‘Peninsula, The,’ Charlestown15 Pennsylvania, Riflemen of80 Perkins, Luke36 Perkins Street, Somerville44 P
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Historical Sketch of the old Middlesex canal. (search)
r was low, only about half a full load could be carried. Three boats each way a week were run. The fare from Boston to Middlesex was seventy-five cents, and from Middlesex to Lowell six and one-quarter cents. A stage met the boats at Middlesex to Middlesex to Lowell six and one-quarter cents. A stage met the boats at Middlesex to carry passengers to Lowell. The pay for a boatman in 1830 was $15 per month. Luggage or merchandise boats made two and one-half miles per hour, while passage boats made four miles. The time required to go from Boston to Lowell was about twelve hoMiddlesex to carry passengers to Lowell. The pay for a boatman in 1830 was $15 per month. Luggage or merchandise boats made two and one-half miles per hour, while passage boats made four miles. The time required to go from Boston to Lowell was about twelve hours, and to Concord, N. H., from seven to ten days. Between Boston and Lowell the usual time for freight boats was eighteen hours up and twelve hours down. Of the passage boats there were at first two, one running up and one down daily. Later, whose roots once gave stability to the shores of the canal. Several other buildings of interest still stand in historic Middlesex. The canal is now well defined through the country as one is traveling on the road to Lowell. At Medford the Woburn
The Somerville Directory; containing the names of the heads of families. Their Occupations, and dwelling houses, with a list of the town public officers. Somerville, Edmund Tufts, Printer. 1851. Population of the towns in Middlesex According to the Census taken in 1850, by the authority of the Government of the United States. Census of Middlesex County. Towns. Acton,1,605 Ashby,1,218 Ashland,1,304 Bedford,975 Billerica,1,640 Boxborough,396 Brighton,2,356 Burlington,547 Cambridge,15,215 Carlisle,719 Charlestown,17,216 Chelmsford2,098 Concord,2,249 Dracut,3,503 Dunstable,590 Framingham,4,235 Groton,2,515 Holliston,2,428 Hopkinton,2,801 Lexington,1,894 Lincoln,632 Littleton,991 Lowell,33,385 Malden,3,520 Marlborough,2,941 Medford,3,749 Melrose,1,260 Natick,1,744 Newton,5,258 Pepperell,1,754 Reading,3,108 Sherburne,1,043 Shirley,1,158 Somerville,3,540 South Reading2,407 Stoneham,2,085 Stowe,1,455 Sudbury,1,578 Tewksbury,1,042 Townse
tavern door, The youth and his bride and the gray three-score. Their eyes were weary with dust and gleam, The day had gone like an empty dream. Soft may they slumber and trouble no more, For their eager journey with its jolt is o'er. All the carrying being done by ox or horse power, these establishments were well filled every night. As a boy I remember seeing the crowds of heavy teams which put up at the six or eight taverns in Charlestown, the Russell house at the Neck and the old Middlesex at Reed's Corner being particularly remembered. It was, therefore, in such a country with these primitive customs in vogue that we find ourselves at the beginning of the 19th century. The argument was to shorten the route to Charlestown bridge, which served now as the inlet of the whole northern country to Boston—to open a direct, level and thoroughly constructed road from Medford to connect with this highway,—to connect also with Milk Row road and the new Cambridge bridge. As in th
The writings of John Greenleaf Whittier, Volume 3. (ed. John Greenleaf Whittier), Anti-Slavery Poems (search)
the prowling man-thief came hunting for his prey Beneath the very shadow of Bunker's shaft of gray, How, through the free lips of the son, the father's warning spoke; How, from its bonds of trade and sect, the Pilgrim city broke! A hundred thousand right arms were lifted up on high, A hundred thousand voices sent back their loud reply; Through the thronged towns of Essex the startling summons rang, And up from bench and loom and wheel her young mechanics sprang! The voice of free, broad Middlesex, of thousands as of one, The shaft of Bunker calling to that of Lexington; From Norfolk's ancient villages, from Plymouth's rocky bound To where Nantucket feels the arms of ocean close her round; From rich and rural Worcester, where through the calm repose Of cultured vales and fringing woods the gentle Nashua flows, To where Wachuset's wintry blasts the mountain larches stir, Swelled up to Heaven the thrilling cry of ‘ God save Latimer! ’ And sandy Barnstable rose up, wet with the salt
them, together with Orchards filled with goodly fruit trees, and gardens with variety of flowers. Johnson's Wonder working Providence, Chap. XXI. In 1643 was formed the Consederation of the four Colonies of Plymouth, Connecticut, New Haven, and Massachusetts, the commissioners of the last three named signing the twelve articles May 19th, and the government of Plymouth ratifying the same August 29th. May 10th, the thirty towns of Massachusetts were distributed in the four Counties of Middlesex, Essex, Norfolk, and Suffolk, each containing a regiment, the chief commander over which had the rank of a Lieutenant, and the second in command was a Sergeant-Major. The Water-Town Band was led by Capt. Jenings William Jenison, whose name was sometimes written Jenings (see p. 41 n. 3). He was chosen Ensign to Captain Patrick, August 16, 1631, which office he held until March 9, 1636-7, when he was chosen Captain for Watertown. He and Thomas Mayhew were appointed to bring Mr. Nathanie
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...