Your search returned 438 results in 152 document sections:

... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ...
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., A pioneer railroad and how it was built. (search)
ays and is still in some sections to name an engine, as now are the Pullman cars, warships, and merchant vessels. In this nomenclature all sources were drawn upon. The officers and prominent men of the corporation were remembered, and Patrick, Whistler, McNeill, Jesse Bowers, Wm. Sturgis, Daniel Abbott, Higginson and Storrow, shared honors with the Indian chiefs Paugus and Pennichuck. Sentiment found expression in a Factory Girl, Sailor Boy, and Leader. The counties of Suffolk, Essex and Middlesex, all the towns along the line as well as the terminal cities were each represented. The Bible furnished the names of Goliath and Samson and heathen mythology was laid under tribute, furnishing Hector, Ajax, Vulcan, Mercury, Mars, Vesta, Hercules. Count Rumford had a namesake, also the Peruvian hero Rolla. The bird of freedom was n't forgotten for there was an Eagle as also a Lion, Tiger and Leopard. A whole menagerie. Of course it will be understood that these enumerated were added as
esident was found that thought it was the college's north point. Acting on this clue to the apparent mystery, the writer made inquiry of Professors Shaler and Pickering of Harvard College. Their replies were to the effect that about 1850 a stone cairn was erected as a meridian mark for the adjustment of the transit circle in the east wing of the observatory. Also that it supported a simple board spiked to the masonry, on which was a mark that could be seen from the observatory. The Middlesex (Southern) Registry of Deeds shows a record of conveyance of land by Benjamin F. Parker to the President and Fellows of Harvard College in August, 1847, for the named consideration of fifty dollars. The premises adjoined no street, but a right of way was conveyed, and the boundary line began at a pine sapling, extended west, north, east and south in unequal lines, enclosed a tract of some ten thousand square feet and ended at the point of beginning—at the pine sapling. The monument serv
sengers. Afternoon. Went up and down the river with two boats with awnings, the Governor and Council and other gentlemen on board, in all 211 passengers. June 21.Towed Capt. Merrill to the upper landing: loaded and towed him to Turkey Falls, 15 miles: got back at 12 o'clock. June 22.At 5 in the morning took a party of members up and down the river 7 miles. Afternoon. Took a party of 215 on board with music. June 23.Left Concord with two loaded boats in tow. June 24.Arrived at Head of Middlesex. The three loaded boats towed up stream carried thirteen tons each. Justly proud of his achievement, Captain Sullivan wrote the following letter to the Boston Advertiser . Mr. Hale: The progress of the art of steam navigation is so interesting to our country that I need not apologize for sending you the enclosed extract from the journal of the Merrimack, at the commencement of the regular application of the power on the canal. This boat is of the form and size used on the ca
is is certainly true. These are the sources to which we naturally look for information, with results as stated. The facts are, the Medford Branch Rail-Road Company had but a brief existence, while the Branch railroad has been in public service over seventy years. The original corporators (as they were privileged by the charter to do) disposed of their charter and franchise to the Boston and Maine. We have before us a printed copy of the latter's petition to the county commissioners of Middlesex, which sets forth that fact, and also that it had undertaken to construct the Branch, had filed location thereof according to law, and was desirous to proceed with construction forthwith. Then follow the names of the property owners along the line with whom question of land damage was unsettled, beginning with Luther Angier at Main street and ending with William Bradbury at the other end. The petition was signed by the president of the Boston and Maine, Thomas West. On the first Tuesda
s issued just as Medford became a city, as it shows no ward divisions. Various maps prepared by the city engineers, showing the water and sewer systems, have been included in the printed city reports. The latest we notice is that of Engineer Charnock, January I, 1916. This shows the ward and precinct lines, and such streets in Maiden, Somerville and Arlington as cross or are near boundaries. Judge Wait alluded to twenty-two plans of various localities in Medford that were recorded in Middlesex (South) Registry between 1827 and 1855. One of these (August, 1850) in Plan Book 5, p. 8, he styles very interesting. It is called Land of Brooks, at West Medford. See Register, Vol. I, p. 126.. It shows the entire tract between High street, the B. & L. R. R. and the river, with the Middlesex canal and its lock, aqueduct and tavern. Practically the same layout is shown on the Walling map of 1855, but without the names of streets, though the names of Gorham and Lake parks are given.
with a line of markt trees 693 perch then turning No 15 Degrees E to a Maple tree standing on the bank of the aforsd Pefcataquogg River markt M F 400 perch then turning and running with sd Pescataquogg River until it come to ye * Which is. pitch pine first mentioned, which plan is Protracted by a scale of So poles or perch to one inch June the 16 1736 By me Caleb Brooks G Surveyr-- In surveying this farm there was Given one Chain in fifty for Broken Land and Sagg of Chain Middlesex June 18 1736 Personally appearing be fore me the Subscriber Calap Brooks Survayor John Goff and Ephram Busnall Chanmen mad oath that in the Survayin and meafuring a thousand acrs of Land Granted by Gener Cout to the Town of Medford thay did dewe faithfoully and Impertially Eleazar Tyng, just Peace On file with the plan and the above is the following: In the House of Representatives, June 22, 1736. Read and ordered That the plat be accepted and the lands therein delineated an
o carry, not a highway, but a waterway, with its superincumbent weight, the aqueduct of the Middlesex canal. This in 1802. Thirty-two years more and the canal was to have a rival, and Lowell railroad bridge was built nearby, the Winthrop bridge in 1855, and the Usher bridge in 1857. In 1863 the Charlestown Water-works bridge, and in 1873 the Canal bridge on the old aqueduct piers, connected West Medford with Somerville territory, and another at Auburn street the same year. Meanwhile the Middlesex-avenue bridge, with a draw, had been erected, and in earlier years (down stream, and not in Medford bounds) Chelsea bridge and those of the Eastern, and Boston and Maine railroads. In recent years the Canal, Armory, Auburn street-Parkway, and Metropolitan pipe bridge, and just now the Boston Elevated to Everett, complete the list of fourteen now in use and two discontinued and removed. It had been our purpose to present views of all these, but conditions forbid. We can only refer our
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., In another corner of Medford. (search)
water of Concord river was turned into it, and for fifty years laden boats passed to and fro. Rafts of timber from the forests of New Hampshire, oak timber to the Medford ship-yards, granite from Chelmsford and Tyngsboro, the great columns of the long market in Boston, with country produce of various kinds, floated quietly onward to their destination on its placid waters, which, like a silver ribbon, glinted in the sunshine as seen from the hill-tops. By this waterway not only the inland Middlesex towns, but those of New Hampshire, went down to the sea in ships from as far north as Concord. In 1812 what is now a part of the busy city of Manchester sent its first boat to Boston, which was hailed with interest all along the line as well as at its arrival. It had a three mile journey overland prior to its launching in the Merrimack at Squog village, with forty yokes of oxen for motive power. It could lazily float down the river's current, and two horses harnessed tandem took it mo
not say; probably that of Benjamin Hall, then the leading business man of Medford, who took one-tenth of its capital stock. Medford was, in 1803, a town of but twelve hundred inhabitants, its only direct route to Boston being the old road over the top of Winter hill, through Charlestown to the Charles river bridge but fourteen years built. It was a long, hard pull up and over the hill, not only for the local teams, but for the much greater volume of traffic and the stages from northern Middlesex and New Hampshire. So this new, shorter, and level route was apparently a feasible, practical and desirable investment. Steam travel was then thirty years in the future, electric power unheard of, and the automobile undreamed of. There were no serious engineering problems to cope with. It crossed but two water-courses, Two-penny and Winter brooks, both insignificant, though Captain Adams was very early inquiring about their culvits, the sluices the charter required. More expensive t
Medford Branch canal. ON May 16, 1805, the Massachusetts Legislature passed An act to incorporate Benjamin Hall, Esquire and others, by the Name of Proprietors of the Medford Branch Canal and Locks between the Middlesex Canal and Mystic River, and easterly of the Post Road leading from Charlestown to Medford. A bibliography of that old Middlesex canal would be of much interest as, judging by the articles (often illustrated) that have appeared in the weekly issues of Boston papers, there is a fascination connected therewith. The writer confesses to having come under its spell, and derived much pleasure and satisfaction therefrom, even though it entailed much study, work and travel. Some years since he was rallied a little for his neglect of the present subject, having only made the briefest mention thereof. Search in his own collection of the work of various writers, fails to reveal more attention paid by them to this branch canal. The recent acquisition by the Histori
... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ...