Your search returned 94 results in 26 document sections:

1 2 3
ord easterly line. And also a piece of land on the northerly side of said Medford, bounded easterly on Malden line, northerly on Stoneham and Woburn line, westerly on the line betwixt Mr. Symmes' and Gardner's farm, running there northward to Mystic Pond, with the the inhabitants thereof. March 31, 1735.--Voted to choose a Committee to join with the Committee of Charlestown, to settle the bounds of the said town on the north-westerly part of said bounds, which have been disputed. May 14, 1744.--Voted to choose a Committee to settle with Charlestown the bounds between the two towns near the place called Mystic Pond. March 7, 1748.--Put to vote to know the mind of the town, whether they will choose a Committee to use their best endeavors to have the lands with their inhabitants, now belonging to Charlestown, added to this town, which now are on the southerly and northerly sides of this town. This was not successful; but, May 14, 1753, the effort was renewed; and the town
so, the first settlers occupied the land near the river, on its north bank, from the old brick house on Ship Street to the west brick house, now standing behind the house of the late Governor Brooks. Soon the population stretched westward to Mystic Pond; and, when the inhabitants came to build their first meeting-house, they found the central place to be Rock Hill; and there they built it. The West End was very early settled as the best land for tillage. It is natural to ask, by what rightt) do, in the name of the inhabitants of Charlestown, lay claim to the tract of land reserved to Squa Sachem during her lifetime, and which is at present possessed and improved by Thomas Gleison of Charlestown; this land bounded on the east by Mystic Pond, on the west by Cambridge Common, on the south by the land of Mr. Cooke, on the north formerly in the possession of Mr. Increase Nowell. This demand and claim was made in the person of John Fennell and Mr. William Sims, the 25th of March,
ns, they were so destroyed, this beautiful and delicious fish would become extinct among us. The greatest draught — by a certain nameless boy, fifty years ago — numbered sixty-three. They were taken from Marble, or Meeting-house, Brook. In Mystic Pond, there are few fish at present. The fresh-water perch, which appear in the sun like a fragment of a rainbow shooting through the water, are the most numerous. The bream are not uncommon; but their size is very small. The tomcod come to wintrt of the country. They were, however, determined to persevere; and appointed Mr. Samuel Thompson, of Woburn, who began his work, and proceeded from Medford River, at a place near the location of the present lock, and followed up the river to Mystic Pond, through the pond and Symmes's River, to Horn Pond in Woburn, and through said pond to the head thereof. Meeting here bars they could neither let down nor remove, they went back to Richardson's Mill, on Symmes's River, and passed up the valle
principle the locality of that brute's death was divided. In 1690, the town treasurer allows £ 1 per wolf for 52 wolves killed by Englishmen, but an Indian for the same service gets only half price. In 1696, the reward for killing 76 wolves was 13s. 4d. per head. Bears also roamed in the woods, and persons were sometimes killed by them, but the appearance of a bear in 1754 in what is now East Cambridge was remarked upon as extraordinary. The nearest Indian tribe dwelt to the west of Mystic Pond, and was governed by a squaw sachem. The land occupied by Cambridge was bought of this tribe, apparently for £ 10 beside an annual present of a coat to the squaw sachem during her lifetime. The relations between white men and red men were friendly. In 1644, these Mystic Indians voluntarily put themselves under the protection and jurisdiction of the English government at Boston. Eliot's first sermon to the Indians was preached in 1646 at Nonantum, south of Charles River, and at that t
Chapter 20: Indian History. Indians. Squa Sachem. tribe near Mystic Pond. Indian titles purchased. fence to secure the Indians' corn. Cutshamakin. Waban, and Indians at Nonantum. the apostle Eliot's labors; assisted by his son, Rev. John Eliot, Jr., and by Rev. Daniel Gookin, Jr. Town of Natick. Eliot's mission extthe easterly part of the town, as in old records that section is sometimes styled Wigwam Neck; but the far greater number probably dwelt near Menotomy River and Mystic Pond. They were subject to the Squaw-sachem, formerly wife of Nanepashemet, who is mentioned in Mourt's Relation. A party from Plymouth visited the Indians at the River, anciently called Quineboquin, was the natural boundary between these two hostile tribes. The Squaw-sachem seems to have resided on the westerly side of Mystic Pond. A deposition of Edward Johnson is preserved among the papers of the Middlesex County Court (1662), testifying that he was present when the Squaw-sachem and he
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Historical Sketch of the old Middlesex Canal. (search)
rs being duly organized, the next duty was to commence the necessary surveys of the most eligible route between Medford River, Chelmsford, and the Concord River. Here the committee were met by an almost insurmountable difficulty; the science of Civil Engineering was almost unknown to anyone in this part of the country. They were, however, determined to persevere, and appointed Mr. Samuel Thompson, of Woburn, who began his work, and proceeded from Medford River, following up the river to Mystic Pond, through the pond and Symms' River to Horn Pond in Woburn, and through said pond to the head thereof. Meeting here bars they could neither let down nor remove, they went back to Richardson's Mill on Symms' River, and passed up the valley through the east part of Woburn to Wilmington, and found an easy and very regular ascent until they reached the Concord River, a distance traveled, as the surveyor says, ‘From Medford Bridge to the Billerica Bridge, about twenty-three miles, and the as
iles, Rev. John37 Miles ( Myles), Samuel, Schoolmaster, 168437, 38 Minute Men, The79 Mistick Side15 Mistick Side Schoolhouse64 Montreal49 Moore, Abraham M.43 Moor's Falls50 Morley, Catharine19 Morley, John, Schoolmaster, 165219 Morley, Ralph19 Morris, Martha14 Morton, Nicholas60 Moulton's Point90 Mount Pleasant Street, Somerville44 Mousall, Ralph17 Moylan, Colonel Stephen87 Moylan's Dragoons87 Munroe, Charles44 Munroe Estate, The45 Munroe, Louisa45 Munster, Ireland65 Mystic Pond53 Mystic River52, 56, 79, 82, 86, 90 Myles (Miles) Samuel, Schoolmaster, 168437, 38 Nashua & Lowell R. R.56 Nashua River50 Nashua Village50, 51 Nathan Tufts Park66 Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.23 Navigation on the Merrimac49 Necrology Committee, Report of22 Neighborhood Sketch, No. 642 Newbury, Mass.40 Newell, John36 New England Bank, Boston43 ‘New England,’ Neal42 ‘New England's Crisis,’ Thompson34 New Haven, Conn.20 New Rochelle, N. Y.12, 13 Nixon, Col.94 Normandy, F
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Historical Sketch of the old Middlesex canal. (search)
n to this day in a fair state of preservation. In Winchester the canal passed through Gardner locks, located at the West side of the village, and on through to Mystic pond, crossing the narrow upper arm of the pond over a stone aqueduct. The bed of the canal is plainly visible here, and it is hoped the bed will remain untouched while the March of Progress is still moving on, converting the shores of Mystic pond into a beautiful boulevard. For something over a mile the canal lay within the grounds of the Brooks estate in West Medford. Here stands a beautiful monument, that of the handsome elliptical stone arch, built by George Rumford Baldwin, son of Loam ample time for observation and reflection. Seated in summer under a spacious awning, he traversed the valley of the Mystic, skirting the picturesque shores of Mystic pond. Instead of a foreground of blurred landscapes, vanishing ghostlike, ere its features could be fairly distinguished, soft bits of characteristic New England sc
eter, 29. Milk Row, District of, 15, 87, 88. Milk Row Primary School, 70. Milk Row School, 89, 90, 91, 93. Milk Street, Boston, 30. Miller, James, 90. Miller, Richard, 12. Miller, Stephen, 90, 91. Mistick, 31, 32. Mistick River, 29. Mitchell, Luther, 22. 38. Mitchell, —, 79. Mitchell, Nathaniel, 22. Morse. Rev. Abner, 49, 51, 52, 53, 55, 56. Mount Benedict, 3, 9. Mt. Auburn Cemetery, 74. Much Bromley, Essex County, Eng., 73. Mystick Bridge, 19. Mystic Lake, 11. Mystic Pond, 36, 87. Mystic River, 3, 6, 30, 31. Mystic Trotting Park, 3. Mystic Valley Railroad, 11. Nahumkeck (Salem), 29. Nashua & Lowell Railroad, 9. Natascot, 32. Nathan Tufts Park, 20. Nayland, Suffolk County, Eng., 13, 82. Neighborhood Sketch No. 7, 22. Neighborhood Sketch No. 7, Map of, 23. Newell, Eliphalet, 67. Newe Towne, 74, 75. New York, 44. Nichols' Inn, 2. Nichols' Lock, 2. North Market Street, Boston, 4. North Street, Boston, 4. Norton, Rev.,
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908, Original English inhabitants and early settlers in Somerville. (search)
south of the Road to Cambridge, and westerly of what is now the Southern division of the Boston and Maine Railroad. Strawberry Hill was probably the same as our Prospect Hill. Lastly, there can hardly be a doubt that a part of what was called the Line-field of Charlestown was between the Stinted Pasture and the Newtown, or Cambridge, town line; from what is now Cambridgeport to Menotomy River, now Alewife Brook; the Line-field extending, also, into what is now the town of Arlington to, Mystic Pond. All these local names are now obsolete except that a part of the original Ten Hills Farms within our limits is still known as such. A century or more ago the Highfield became Ploughed Hill, and over two centuries ago the Highfield-mead became Dirty-marsh; but these names are now extinct, and there seems to be no modern names except for Strawberry Hill for the other localities of the olden time. The Cow Commons, as grazing ground, and also other lands in Somerville, were held largely
1 2 3