Your search returned 323 results in 90 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
s. A reconnoissance was this day made by the Sixteenth Massachusetts, under Col. P. T. Wyman, for the purpose of ascertaining the exact character of the ground in front of the picket-line at Fair Oaks, Va.--(Doc. 135.) A band of rebels were attacked by Major Zeley and a party of Union troops, near Smithville, Ark. Captain Jones, their leader, and fourteen of his men were captured. The rebels had four men wounded. Union loss, two killed and four wounded.--A skirmish occurred at Tallahatchie, Fla. An expedition composed of four companies of Union troops, under Col. Kimball, sent from New Orleans to Manchac, La., for the purpose of dispersing a large number of rebels encamped in that place, this day returned to New Orleans, after having successfully performed the object of its mission. On the approach of the Union force, the rebels decamped, leaving their regimental colors, guns, camp equipage, etc., behind them. The guns were spiked, the colors taken away, and the brid
shall be twice accounted for. Article--. Congress may appropriate money and otherwise provide for colonizing free colored persons with their own consent, at any place or places without the United States. William W. Lunt, lately a private belonging to the Ninth regiment of Maine volunteers, was executed at Hilton Head, S. C., for desertion.--The National cavalry, belonging to the army of General Grant, under the command of Colonel Lee, took possession of the rebel forts on the Tallahatchie River. By a sudden descent, early in the morning, Colonel Lee captured a battery of six guns, with the horses attached thereto, on the north side of the river.--A slight skirmish took place in the vicinity of Horse Creek, Dade County, Mo., between a detachment of the Fourth Missouri cavalry, under the command of Major Kelly, and a small band of guerrillas, in which the rebels were routed, leaving five of their number in the hands of the Unionists.--Springfield Missourian. A detachment
up Broad River, S. C., was stranded, and soon afterward attacked by a party of rebels on shore, who succeeded in throwing a shell into her magazine and blowing her up. Two of the Unionists were killed and eight wounded, all belonging to the Third Rhode Island artillery.--A party of rebel guerrillas, under Woodward, captured and burned the steamers Saxonia and Lovell, on the Cumberland River, after killing the captain of the latter, and severely wounding the captain of the former. The Tallahatchie fleet, consisting of the divisions under Generals Ross and Quimby, and numerous gunboats and mortar-boats, arrived at Helena, Ark. The expedition, which had been absent forty-three days, left Fort Greenwood on the fifth. As soon as the bustle was observed by the rebels, they opened a brisk fire upon the woods where batteries had been planted, which continued till the last boat steamed up the river. On the passage, the boats were frequently fired on by guerrillas. A number of soldiers w
May 25. The National forces under the command of General Michael Corcoran, were engaged in destroying the Norfolk and Petersburgh Railroads, Va.--A body of rebels crossed the Cumberland River at Fishing Creek and Hartford, Ky., but were driven back by the National troops after a brief skirmish.--An expedition from Germantown, Miss., under Colonel McCrellis, attacked a rebel force at Senatobia, and drove them south of the Tallahatchie River, with a loss of six killed and three wounded of their number.
ame into possession of sixty-five locomotives and five hundred cars. As the enemy had destroyed the railroad bridges across the Tallabusha River before he retreated from the town, it was wholly impracticable to run the stock North, and so it was given over to the flames, together with the large railroad buildings belonging to the Mississippi Central and Mississippi and Tennessee railroads, which form a junction at that place. Probably the value of the property destroyed was not less than three millions of dollars, and the loss to the rebels is wholly irreparable. The forces of Colonel Winslow and Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips were joined together here, and proceeded northward on the line of the Mississippi and Tennessee Railroad, meeting with but little opposition on the route. After crossing the Tallahatchie River at Panola, the forces separated, and the Vicksburghers proceeded to Memphis, and the rest of the forces to their respective camps on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
October 13. A fight took place at Wyatts, a town on the Tallahatchie River, Miss., between a party of rebels retreating from Colliersville, Tenn., and the National cavalry under Colonel Hatch. The place had previously been fortified and was surrounded by a deep trench. By the aid of pontoon-bridges the rebels had succeeded in crossing their horses and stores, so that their whole force was rendered available for repelling the Union troops. They had upward of three thousand men, with nine pieces of artillery, and were sheltered by the log-houses of which the town was composed; the Union force was less than two thousand five hundred, with eight pieces of artillery. The fight commenced at three o'clock in the afternoon, by the enemy attempting to force back the Union left. In this they failed. They next massed their forces to break the centre, but were driven back. Slowly Colonel Hatch advanced his line, driving the enemy back step by step. Thus the afternoon wore away, til
an could be employed to advantage at Young's Point, and knowing that Lake Providence was connected by Bayou Baxter with Bayou Macon, a navigable stream through which transports might pass into the Mississippi below, through Tansas, Wachita, and Red Rivers, I thought it possible that a route might be opened in that direction which would enable me to cooperate with General Banks at Port Hudson. By the Yazoo Pass route I only expected at first to get into the Yazoo by way of Coldwater and Tallahatchie with some lighter gunboats and a few troops, and destroy the enemy's transports in that stream and some gunboats which I knew he was building. The navigation, however, proved so much better than had been expected, that I thought for a time of the possibility of making this the route for obtaining a foothold on high land above Haines's Bluff, Mississippi, and small-class steamers were accordingly ordered for transporting an army that way. Major-General J. B. McPherson, commanding Seventee
s expedition From La Grange, Tenn., to Baton Rouge, La. headquarters First cavalry brigade, Baton Rouge, La., May 5, 1863. Colonel: In accordance with instructions from Major-General S. A. Hurlbut, received through Brigadier-General W. S. Smith, at La Grange, Tenn., I left that place at daylight on the morning of the seventeenth of April, with the effective force of my command, one thousand seven hundred strong. We moved southward without material interruption, crossing the Tallahatchie River on the afternoon of the eighteenth at three different points. One battalion of the Seventh Illinois, under Major Graham, crossing at New-Albany, found the bridge partially torn up, and an attempt was made to fire it. As they approached the bridge they were fired upon, but drove the enemy from their position, repaired the bridge, and crossed. The balance of the Seventh Illinois and the whole of the Sixth crossed at a ford two miles above, and the Second Iowa crossed about four miles s
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3., The defense of Vicksburg. (search)
nd his position. Then came the expedition, via Lake Providence and Bayou Macon, which was defeated by natural difficulties. Next, the expedition by Yazoo Pass and Hushpuccanaugh Bayou, which was stopped by Fort Pemberton,--a cotton-bale fort made by Passage, on the night of April 16, 1863, of gun-boats and steamers at Vicksburg. From a sketch made by Colonel S. H. Lockett, C. S. A. Captain P. Robinson, of the Confederate States Engineers, on the overflowed bottom-lands of the Tallahatchie and Yallabusha rivers, near their junction [February 24th to April 8th]. Here General Loring, with 3 guns and about 1500 men, turned back a large fleet and land force, and won the sobriquet of Old Blizzards by standing on the cotton-bale parapet and shouting Give them blizzards, boys! Give them blizzards! Last of these flanking expeditions was one of General Sherman and Admiral Porter, via Steele's Bayou, to reach the Sunflower and Yazoo rivers, above Haynes's Bluff [March 14th-27th]. T
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3., Confederate forces: Lieut.-General John C. Pemberton. (search)
on file in the War Departmnent the number surrendered on July 4th was 29,491. Of course this included all the non-combatants. Pemberton's greatest available force, including the troops confronting Grant at Raymond and Jackson, probably numbered over 40,000. General Grant estimated it at nearly 60,000. General Pemberton says in his official report that when he moved within the defenses of Vicksburg his effective aggregate did not exceed 28,000. Wreck of the star of the West, in the Tallahatchie River, opposite the site of Fort Pemberton. From a photograph taken in 1887. It was the steamer Star of the West that was used in the unsuccessful effort to reenforce Fort Sumter in January, 1861. She was at New Orleans when Louisiana seceded, and was seized by the State authorities. S. B. Morgan, of Greenwood, Mississippi, wrote to the editors, January 12th, 1888, that the Star of the West was sunk in the Tallahatchie on March 13th, 1863, under the parapet of Fort Pemberton, to prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...