Your search returned 20 results in 9 document sections:

ut one thousand acres of the unappropriated lands of the Province, and return a plat thereof to this Court, within twelve months, for confirmation for the uses within mentioned. In Council, read and concurred.--Dec. 29th: Consented to, J. Belcher. A true copy, examined, Thaddeus Mason, Deputy-Secretary. This grant was accepted; and Mr. Wm. Willis and Capt. John Hall were chosen to carry the whole matter through. The consequence was a selection of one thousand acres on the Piscataqua River, near the Merrimac. This tract was called the Town's farm; but it was not of great value. Dec. 3, 1737: Here we find the first record of the drawing of jurymen in the town. John Albree and Benjamin Tufts are drawn for the Supreme Court. Few jurymen were needed; but Medford undoubtedly furnished its share from the beginning. It may be interesting to many to see another record of a town-meeting. Familiar names will be found to recur; but offices have increased:-- At a town-me
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Frost, Charles 1632- (search)
Frost, Charles 1632- Pioneer; born in Tiverton, England, in 1632; came with his father to America, who settled on the Piscataqua River in 1636. Frost was a member of the general court from 1658 to 1659, and a councillor from 1693 to 1697: He was accused by the Indians of having seized some of their race for the purpose of enslavement and was killed in 1697.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Laconia, (search)
Laconia, The name given by Gorges and Mason to the portion of New England granted to them, extending from the Merrimac to the Kennebec, and from the ocean to the St. Lawrence. The proprietors induced several merchants to join them in their adventure, and sent out a colony of fishermen, a part of whom settled at the mouth of the Piscataqua, now Portsmouth, N. H. Others settled on the site of Dover, 8 miles farther up the river. The Laconia Company did not prosper, and the towns were little more than fishing-stations. See New Hampshire.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Colony of New Hampshire, (search)
iver, excepting a small part of Acadia. Mason had already obtained a grant of land (March 2, 1621) extending from Salem to the mouth of the Merrimac, which he called Mariana; and the same year a colony of fishermen seated themselves at Little Harbor, on the Piscataqua, just below the site of Portsmouth. Other fishermen settled on the site of Dover (1623), and there were soon several fishing-stations, but no permanent settlement until 1629, when Mason built a house near the mouth of the Piscataqua, and called the place Portsmouth. He and Gorges had agreed to divide their domain at the Piscataqua, and Mason, obtaining a patent for his portion of the territory, named it New Hampshire. He had been governor of Portsmouth, in Hampshire, England, and these names were given in commemoration of the fact. In the same year (1629), Rev. Mr. Wheelwright, brother of the notable Anne Hutchinson, purchased from the Indians the Wilderness, the Merrimac, and the Piscataqua, and founded Exeter. M
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Portsmouth, (search)
Portsmouth, The present county seat of Rockingham county, N. H., with a population (1900) of 9,827; was founded at Strawberry Bank, at the mouth of the Piscataqua River, by Mason, who tried to be lord of the manor ; but his people were too independent to allow special privileges to any one. An Episcopalian named Gibson was the first minister at Portsmouth, for whom a chapel was built in 1638. He was dismissed by the General Court of Massachusetts, which claimed jurisdiction over that region, and a Puritan minister—James Parker—was put in his pl
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), New Hampshire, (search)
o the colonies of Virginia and Plymouth, extending from lat. 34° to lat. 45° N.......April 10, 1606 Capt. John Smith, ranging the shore of New England, explores the harbor of Piscataqua......1614 Ferdinando Gorges and Capt. John Mason, members of the Plymouth council, obtain a joint grant of the province of Laconia, comprising all the land between the Merrimac River, the Great Lakes, and river of Canada......Aug. 10, 1622 Gorges and Mason establish a settlement at the mouth of the Piscataqua, calling the place Little Harbor, and another settlement, 8 miles farther up the river, Dover......1623 Mason, having agreed with Gorges to make the Piscataqua the divisional line, takes from the Plymouth council a patent of that portion lying between that river and the Merrimac, and calls it New Hampshire......Nov. 7, 1629 Company of Laconia dividing their interests, Mason procures for himself a charter of Portsmouth......1631 Towns of Portsmouth and Northam laid out......1633
. The people of New Hampshire had long been harassed by vexatious proprietary claims; dreading the perils of anarchy, they now provided a remedy for the evils of a disputed jurisdiction by the immediate exercise of their natural rights; and, on the fourteenth of April, 1642, by their own voluntary act, they were annexed to their powerful neighbor, not as a province, but on equal terms, as an integral portion of the state. The change was effected with great deliberation. The banks of the Piscataqua had not been peopled by Puritans; and the system of Massachusetts could not properly be applied to the new acquisitions. In September, the general court adopted the measure which justice recommended; neither the freemen nor the deputies of New Hampshire were required to be church members. Thus political harmony was maintained, though the settlements long retained marks of the difference of their origin. The attempt to gain possession of the territory on Chap. X.} 1642 Narragansett Ba
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
l-house. In this petition they say that the said town is of the smallest extent of any in the Province, and yet their town charges extremely high, so that the maintenance of ministry and school is very chargeable to them and therefore praying for a grant of some of the waste lands of the Province to be appropriated for the support of the ministry and schoolmaster in said town. In answer to this petition one thousand acres were granted and laid out to the town between the Merrimac and Piscataqua rivers. When the school was changed from a three or four months term in the winter to an annual school we cannot determine accurately, but it was doubtless about coincident with the building of this first house, in 1732. We know that in 1735 there was a continuous session, only four weeks out of the fifty-two being allowed for vacation. The salary paid at this time was £ 5 a month. As the petition for relief was presented early in 1735 it seems fair to assume that the school was an annu
urpose of enabling the ancient Medfordites to maintain the ministry and school master. Mr. Brooks, in his history, makes brief mention of its grant, and says, It was not of great value, and It was sold soon after. He also located it on the Piscataqua river, which stream is one of the principal rivers of New Hampshire, reaching the ocean at Portsmouth. What is the story of this Medford Town farm ? In the Archives at the State House may be found a plan of the same, made by a Medford man, with been the subject of town meetings for a period of fourteen years, and the ancient town record is of much interest. Mr. Morss, in his excellent article on Medford schools, Register, Vol. III, p. 12, alludes to it, and locates it between the Piscataqua and Merrimac rivers, evidently quoting from Brooks' history. But his entire article contains carefully made quotations from the town records relative to school matters. As will be seen from the above, this town farm was two miles westward fro