hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 54 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
ll those years of mutual grief and separation. I had been quite ill, and could not then undertake the ceremony; but some three weeks afterward he came on a short visit, and we concluded to marry then. On February 26, 1845, at The briers, in the presence of my family and some of his, we were married. The Reverend David Page, of Trinity, the pastor of the Episcopal church of Natchez, performed the ceremony. After a breakfast to our friends, we left on a tour of visits to his family at Bayou Sara and Woodville, and from thence to New Orleans. In those days trousseaus were moderate, and young people did not expect presents, but gave them to the bridesmaids. The groomsmen were never expected to give presents. Two bonnets were an abundance, and every young bride had a second-day dress, i.e., one finer and more dressy than the rest, to wear on the day after her marriage, and among the plainer class of people this was worn at the , infair, i.e., reception On our visit to Woodville I
June 14. Capt. Craven, of the United States steam sloop Brooklyn, sent a marine guard and party of seamen, numbering in all about one hundred men, under command of Lieut. Lowry, to Bayou Sara, Louisiana, for the purpose of destroying the telegraph apparatus and cutting the wires. After an absence of two hours, Lieut. Lowry returned to the ship, having accomplished his work. (Doc. 133.) General James H. Van Alen, Military Governor of Yorktown, Va., issued an order directing that all negroes in his department, contraband or otherwise, should be under the immediate charge and control of the Provost-Marshal--that they be allowed full liberty, etc. Captain Atkison, of company C, of the Fiftieth Indiana volunteers, with twenty men, captured six thousand two hundred pounds of powder at Sycamore Mills, thirty miles below Nashville, Tenn., and five miles north of the Cumberland River. The company also stopped at Fort Zollicoffer, and brought off a gun.
be delivered to the military authorities.--Gen. Order No. 21. General Grant, commanding Department of West-Tennessee, issued an order from his headquarters at Corinth, Miss., directing that fugitive slaves coming within the lines of the army under his command, should be employed in the quarter-master's, subsistence, and engineer's departments. Also, when by such employment a soldier might be saved to the ranks of the army, as teamsters, cooks, hospital attendants, and nurses. Bayou Sara, La., was this day taken possession of by the National forces. They seized all the sugar and molasses in the place, and quartered a garrison there. A fight took place in the vicinity of Independence, Mo., between a body of Union troops under the command of Colonel Buell, Seventh Missouri cavalry, and a superior force of rebel guerrillas under Colonel Hughes, resulting in the defeat of the Unionists and the capture of the town by the rebels.--(Doc. 178.) A party of Jeff. Thompson's
, horses, and equipment. The rebels were composed of parts of Morgan's and McCoun's men. Among the prisoners were Captain Bondy, of the Eighteenth Tennessee, and a lieutenant of Morgan's cavalry. A still-house, containing forty casks of liquors, was destroyed. One man was wounded. General Mitchell's command made the march of fifty-five miles in twelve hours.--National Intelligencer. The United States gunboats Hartford, Switzerland, and Albatross, which had been blockading the mouth of the Red River, on the Mississippi, since the first instant, got under way early this morning, and proceeded down to Bayou Sara, where they stopped, seized upon and threw into the river ten thousand sacks of corn, after which they proceeded to Port Hudson, coming to anchor five miles above the rebel batteries.--Gold sold in Richmond, Va., at four hundred per cent premium.--The National steamer Fox (Whittemore) was captured by a party of rebels at Pass a L'Outre, Mississippi River.--Mobile Tribune.
o killed and four wounded, and some small arms and horses taken. An exciting chase of ten miles failed to overtake the fleeing rebels. Major-General Dabney H. Maury, in command of the rebel forces at Mobile, Ala., sent the following to Adjutant-General Cooper, at the war department at Richmond, Va.: The following despatch from Tunica, Miss., was received yesterday, dated tenth instant, from Colonel Harry Maury, commanding Fifteenth cavalry regiment: We dashed in yesterday above Bayou Sara on a plundering party of Yankees, three hundred strong, and drove then to their iron-clads with great slaughter. We brought off their wagon-trains and twenty-five prisoners from under the broadsides of their gunboats. Only three wounded of ours. --Two bridges and trestlework on the Tennessee and Alabama Railroad at Caligula, near Lynnville, Tenn., were destroyed by a party of rebel cavalry under the command of the partisan Roddy.--A cannonading between the rebel batteries on Lookout Mo
and esteeming this to be of high national consequence, I recommend that all loyal people do, on receipt of this information, assemble at their places of worship, and render special homage and gratitude to Almighty God for this great advancement of the national cause. --A debate on the question of the employment of substitutes in the Southern army was held in the rebel Congress.--the steamer Von Phul, on a trip from New Orleans to St. Louis, was fired into at a point about eight miles above Bayou Sara, and seriously damaged.--Major-General John A. Logan assumed command of the Fifteenth army corps, at Bridgeport, Ala.--the British steamer Ceres was captured off the port of Wilmington, North-Carolina. Full and enthusiastic meetings were held in various portions of Indiana. At the capital of the State, General Carrington made a strategical speech, illustrated by maps and diagrams, showing how the rebels could be circumvented.--Jefferson Davis sent a message to the rebel Congress, whi
General Butler. After spending some months in organizing the department and disciplining the new levies which constituted its force, General Banks made a rapid and successful series of marches and contests, in which he drove the insurgent troops out of the Attakapas and Teche regions, well known as the richest portions of that very productive State, captured Alexandria and Donaldsonville, the seats of its fugitive seditious executive and legislative authorities, crossed the Mississippi at Bayou Sara, and there receiving an additional column which was ascending from Baton Rouge, invested Port Hudson, which, excluding Vicksburgh, was the only remaining stronghold of the insurrection on the great river. It will be remembered that on the twenty-second day of September, 1862, the President issued a proclamation requiring the insurgents to lay down their arms and return to their allegiance, under the penalty that in all the districts where the insurrection should be still maintained with
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 3., The capture of Port Hudson. (search)
section of Cornay's battery, delayed the advance until Dwight's brigade, supported by two regiments of Birge's and March of the Nineteenth army Corps by the Bayou Sara road toward Port Hudson, Saturday, march 14, 1863. from a sketch made at the time. by Closson's battery, went out and drove them away. At 6 the division tookrespondence, the practical effect of which was to cause General Banks to conform his movements to the expectation that General Grant would send an army corps to Bayou Sara to join in reducing Port Hudson. Banks moved on to Alexandria, on the Red River, to push Taylor farther out of the way. Taylor retired toward Shreveport. Onrossing Bayou Montecino on the march to Port Hudson. From a sketch made at the time, whole command marched on Simsport, crossed the Atchafalaya, and moved to Bayou Sara, where the advance of the army crossed the Mississippi on the night of the 23d and moved immediately to the rear of Port Hudson. There communication was made
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 20: events West of the Mississippi and in Middle Tennessee. (search)
ey found her five miles above Baton Rouge, when an engagement ensued. Owing to defects in her engines, the Arkansas became unmanageable, when she was headed to the river-bank, and set on fire. Her magazine exploded, and the monster was blown into fragments. Soon after the repulse of the Confederates at Baton Rouge, that post was evacuated by the Nationals, and Porter ascended the river to reconnoiter batteries said to be in course of construction at Port Hudson. He passed up above to Bayou Sara to coal, where guerrillas fired upon him. The little town was destroyed in consequence. Because of the fiendish act of armed citizens of Natchez in firing on a boat's crew who went on shore to procure ice for sick men, that city was bombarded by the Essex, set on fire, and captured. The Essex then turned back, and on her passage down the river had a short and sharp contest Sept. 7, 1862. with the growing batteries at Port Hudson. General Butler was satisfied, at the beginning of Sept
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 21: capture of New Orleans.--first attack on Vicksburg by Farragut's fleet and mortar flotilla.--junction of flag-officers Farragut and Davis above Vicksburg.--ram Arkansas. (search)
after its evacuation by our troops, I proceeded up the river to reconnoitre reported batteries in progress at Port Hudson, Louisiana, and also coal my vessel at Bayou Sara, the only place I could obtain any, save New Orleans. Arriving there, I found the town entirely deserted, and the coal burning. Sending a boat's crew on shore but earthworks were in progress, and whilst destroying these I had the misfortune to burst my heavy 10-inch gun. The Anglo-American not arriving, I returned to Bayou Sara, where we were again fired at from buildings left, on which I ordered those remaining to be destroyed. The Anglo-American joined me on the 29th. and reported iron, and but one through, and that at a distance of a few feet from the battery delivering it. W. D. P. United States Gun-Boat Anglo-American, Off Bayou Sara, Louisiana, Aug. 29, 1862. Sir — In pursuance of your order, I proceeded down stream on the 24th instant, for New Orleans, arriving there on the morning of the 25t
1 2