Your search returned 38 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Blockade. (search)
ht desire to visit and trade with the United States; and all pirated, armed vessels, or letters-of-marque and reprisal were warned not to interfere with or molest any vessels, belonging to neutral powers, bound to any port or place within the jurisdiction of the United States. Early in June, 1814, British blockading vessels began depredations on the coast of Massachusetts, under an order issued by Admiral Cochrane to destroy the seaport towns and devastate the country. At Wareham, on Buzzard's Bay, they destroyed stroyed vessels and other property valued at $40. 000. In the same month fifty armed men in five large barges entered the Saco River, Maine, and destroyed property to the amount of about $20,000 New Bedford, and Fair Haven opposite, were threatened by British cruisers. Eastport and Castine, in Maine, were captured by the British. In July, 1814/un>, Sir Thomas M. Hardly sailed from Halifax with a considerable land and naval force. to execute the order of Cochrane. The
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Bowdoin, James, 1727-1790 (search)
ouncillor. He espoused the cause of the colonists, was president of the Massachusetts Council in 1775, and was chosen president of the convention that framed the State constitution. He succeeded Hancock as governor. By vigorous measures he suppressed the rebellion led by Daniel Shays (q. v.). He died in Boston, Mass., Nov. 6, 1790. His son James, born Sept. 22, 1752; died Oct. 11, 1811; also graduated at Harvard (1771), and afterwards spent a year at Oxford. He was minister to Spain from 1805 to 1808; and while in Paris he purchased an extensive library, philosophical apparatus, and a collection of paintings, which, with a fine cabinet of minerals, he left at his death to Bowdoin College, so named in honor of his father. He had before made a donation to the college of 1,000 acres of land and more than $5,000 in money. By his will he also gave the college 6,000 acres of land and the reversion of the Island of Naushon, one of the Elizabeth Islands in Buzzard's Bay, where he died.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Gosnold, Bartholomew 1602- (search)
nd eight mariners. He took the proposed shorter route, and touched the continent near Nahant, Mass., it is supposed, eighteen days after his departure from England. Finding no good harbor there, he sailed southward, discovered and named Cape Cod, and landed there. This was the first time the shorter (present) route from England to New York and Boston had been traversed; and it was the first time an Englishman set foot on New England soil. Gosnold passed around the cape, and entered Buzzard's Bay, where he found an attractive group of Islands, and he named the westernmost Elizabeth, in honor of his Queen. The whole group bear that name. He and his followers landed on Elizabeth Island, and were charmed with the luxuriance of vegetation, the abundance of small fruits, and the general aspect of nature. Gosnold determined to plant his colony there, and on a small rocky island, in the bosom of a great pond, he built a fort; and, had the courage of the colonists held out, Gosnold
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), State of Rhode Island, (search)
ca). It is believed to be the Newport, R. I., from Fort Adams. Vinland mentioned by them. Verazzani is supposed to have entered Narraganset Bay, and had an interview with the natives there in 1524. Block, the Dutch navigator, explored it in 1614, and the Dutch traders afterwards, seeing the marshy estuaries red with cranberries, called it Roode Eyelandt— red island, corrupted to Rhode Island. The Dutch carried on a profitable fur-trade with the Indians there, and even as far east as Buzzard's Bay, and they claimed a monopoly of the traffic to the latter point. The Pilgrims at Plymouth became annoyed by the New Netherlanders when they claimed jurisdiction as far east as Narraganset Bay, and westward from a line of longitude from that bay to Canada. That claim was made at about the time when Roger Williams (q. v.) was banished from the colony of Massachusetts, fled to the head of Narraganset Bay, and there, with a few followers, planted the seed of the commonwealth of Rhode Islan
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Massachusetts (search)
Thomas Morton on the departure of Wollaston takes charge, and changes the name to Merry Mount......1626 Robert Conant removes from the settlement at Cape Ann to Naumkeag (now Salem )......1626 Plymouth colony establish an outpost on Buzzard's Bay; friendly commerce begins with the Dutch at New Amsterdam......1627 Partnership of merchants and colonists being unprofitable, and the community system failing, eight colonists of Plymouth buy of the London partners their interests for $9,ne separate State boards, and creating the board of health, charity, and lunacy, passed by legislature, which adjourns......April 30, 1879 French ocean cable landed at North Eastham, Cape Cod.......Nov. 15, 1879 Cape Cod ship-canal from Buzzard's Bay to Barnstable Bay begun......1880 Anti-screen liquor-saloon law, enacted 1880, goes into effect......1881 National law-and-order league organized at Boston......Feb. 22, 1882 Henry W. Longfellow, born 1807, dies at Cambridge......Mar
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Wood's Holl, (search)
Wood's Holl, A village in the town of Falmouth, Barnstable co., Mass.; on Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard Sound; 72 miles southeast of Boston. For many years it has been one of the best-known harbors of refuge for shipping on the New England coast: but its chief distinction is that it is the site of the most important station of the United States fish commission in the country, and one of the most thoroughly equipped propagating places for food fish in the world. Besides the appointments of the fish hatchery, the station is provided with an admirable marine biological laboratory, in which a large number of students are annually instructed by a selected corps of teachers.
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 2: Barnstable County. (search)
Chapter 2: Barnstable County. The county of Barnstable includes the whole of Cape Cod which, extending east and north into the Atlantic Ocean, was discovered by Gosnold in 1602. It is bounded north-west by Plymouth County, and west by Buzzard's Bay. Cape Cod lies in the form of an arm, half open: the elbow is at Chatham, twenty miles east of the town of Barnstable, which is the county seat. The whole length of the Cape is sixty-five miles, and the average breadth about five miles. Below the town of Barnstable the soil is composed mostly of sand; and the people in considerable degree depend upon Boston, and other large places, for their meats and breadstuffs. It possesses, however, unrivalled privileges for the cod, mackerel, and other fisheries. The county has comparatively little wood, but has many valuable peat meadows, in which, of late years, the cranberry has been successfully cultivated. The county is supplied with an abundance of pure soft water. Formerly large quan
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 4: Bristol County. (search)
Chapter 4: Bristol County. The county of Bristol is bounded north by Norfolk County, east by Plymouth, south-east by Buzzard's Bay, and west by the counties of Providence, Bristol, and Newport, Rhode Island. It is divided into nineteen municipalities, of which New Bedford, Fall River, and Taunton are cities. The entire population of the county in 1860 was 93,794, in 1865 it was 89,339; being a decrease in five years of 4,455. The population in 1870 was 102,886, being an increase in five years of 13,191. The total valuation of the county in 1860 was $66,294,526, in 1865 it was $87,428,503; being an increase in five years of $21,133,983. This county gives rise to several streams, which fall into Massachusetts and Narragansett Bays, the most important of which is Taunton Great River, that in times past was famous for its herring fisheries. New Bedford and Dartmouth are well known as being the chief seats of the whale-fishery. Fall River and Taunton are largely engaged in m
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 5: Dukes County. (search)
Chapter 5: Dukes County. This county is formed of the Islands of Martha's Vineyard. These islands lie off and south of Barnstable County and Buzzard's Bay, and contain about one hundred and twenty square miles. They constitute five townships, as follows: Edgartown, Chilmark, Gay Head, Gosnold, and Tisbury. The town of Gay Head was incorporated in 1870, from a part of Chilmark; and therefore its war record is included in that of the mother-town. The shire town of the county is Edgartown. The population of Dukes County in 1860 was 4,403; in 1865, 4,200, being a decrease in five years of 203. The population in 1870 was 3,787, which is a further decrease in five years of 413. The valuation of the county in 1860 was $2,908,194; in 1865, $2,183,976, which is a decrease in five years of $724,218. By the returns made by the selectmen of the several towns in 1866, the number of men furnished in the entire county for the war was 240, which is only about half of the real number w
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 13: Plymouth County. (search)
Chapter 13: Plymouth County. This ancient and historic county is bounded north-east and east by Massachusetts Bay, north by Norfolk county and Boston harbor, north-west by Norfolk county, west by Bristol county, and south-east and south by Buzzard's Bay and Barnstable county. The North River, emptying into Massachusetts Bay, and numerous branches of the Taunton are its chief rivers. The shire town of the county, at which the courts are held, is Plymouth. The county has a sea coast on Massachusetts Bay of between thirty and forty miles. The land is not so fertile as in some of the other counties in the Commonwealth, yet there is considerable good land within its limits. The population of Plymouth county in 1860 was 64,758; in 1865, it was 63,074, being a decrease in five years of 1,684. The valuation in 1860 was $29,160,937; in 1865 it was $27,932,058, being a decrease in five years of $1,228,879. The county is divided into twenty-five townships, which, according to the re
1 2