hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Knight's Mechanical Encyclopedia (ed. Knight) 17 1 Browse Search
Herodotus, The Histories (ed. A. D. Godley) 2 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: may 2, 1862., [Electronic resource] 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 21 results in 9 document sections:

Herodotus, The Histories (ed. A. D. Godley), Book 2, chapter 175 (search)
Amasis made a marvellous outer court for the temple of AthenaApparently, Nit; also identified with Demeter (Hdt. 2.132, note). at Saïs, far surpassing all in its height and size, and in the size and quality of the stone blocks; moreover, he set up huge images and vast man-headed sphinxes,Visitors to Karnak will remember the double row of sphinxes leading to the temple. and brought enormous blocks of stone besides for the building. Some of these he brought from the stone quarries of Memphis; the largest came from the city of Elephantine,The island opposite Assuan; the Assuan quarries have always been famous. twenty days' journey distant by river from Saïs. But what I admire most of his works is this: he brought from Elephantine a shrine made of one single block of stone; its transport took three years and two thousand men had the carriage of it, all of them pilots. This chamber is thirty-five feet long, twenty-three feet wide, thirteen feet high. These are the external dimensions of th
st the bleeding. The needle and ligature were introduced about 1550, by the French surgeon Pere. He was surgeon to Henry II., Francis II., Charles IX., and Henry III. of France, and though a Protestant was concealed in the king's chamber on the night of St. Bartholomew. The king is said to have remarked, There is only one Pere. A complete set of surgical instruments of bronze was discovered at Pompeii. The tourniquet was invented by Morelli in 1674. Basso-relievos in the temples of Karnak, Tentyra, and Luxor show that the ancient Egyptians performed amputations of limbs, without the tourniquet, however, or the mode of ligating the severed arteries; it is merely a cutting and sawing, followed by the cautery, styptics, or compress. The chirurgeon of ancient times was principally employed in reducing fractures and luxations, in treating wounds, applying topical remedies, and in the application of simple or strange drugs with occult charms and pow-wows. One form of amputati
hing the body, the administration of injections, and treatment of hemorrhoids. Bid-hook. (Nautical.) A small boat-hook. Bier. Bier. 1. A hand-barrow adapted to carry a corpse or coffin, or both. Its purpose is its only distinguishing peculiarity to constitute a difference between it and a stretcher, litter, or handbarrow. The bier represented in the accompanying cut was the ordinary form for supporting the dead in ancient Egypt. The illustration is from the temple at Karnak. 2. (Weaving.) A count of 40 threads in the warp or chain of woolen cloth. The number of warp-threads is counted by biers; the threads are termed ends. Thus, — In ordinary broadcloth there are 3,600 threads in the warp; these are set in a sley or reed, about 3 3/16 yards wide. Such a warp is said to be 90 biers. In England, 5 biers or 200 threads go to the hundred. This is one of the absurd overdrafts; as, a hundredweight of 112 pounds; a dozen consisting of 13. In some trades a
he pressures being nearly balanced, but a small amount of power is necessary to raise the valves from their seats, and by a slight opening a very large steam-way is afforded. Double-bitted axe. Doub′le-bit′ted axe. The axe has two oppsite bits or blades. It is an ancient form of battleaxe, being a favorite weapon with the Franks in the time of Clotaire, seventh century, and with the Danes in the time of Alfred the Great, ninth century. It is also shown in the sculptures of Karnak, in Egypt. The battle-axe of the Scythians in the time of Herodotus was double-bitted. It is the Sacan sagaris. Seylax, an historian of an age preceding that of Herodotus, compared Egypt to a double-bitted axe, the neck which joins the two heads being at the narrow part of the valley in the vicinity of Memphis. The double-bitted axe is found in the tumuli and barrows of North America. It is in three forms: 1, with a circumferential groove for the occupation of the withe or split handle
n shows that the soil at Thebes has risen seven feet in 1,700 years, say five inches to the century. An excavation at the foot of one of the colossal sphinxes at Karnak shows a deposit of eighteen feet above the layer of spawls and rubbish forming the foundation. Beneath this is an alluvial deposit of unknown depth. The rise of hand. We even find them with brim and no crown. Tied before or behind, — we thought this was quite modern. A broad-brimmed hat is shown in the sculptures of Karnak. Herodotus refers to the soft hats of the Persians. They wore round-top caps without peaks, somewhat resembling the modern fez. Hats encircled with plumes werm is 7 inches high and 11 inches long. The basalt socket of the lower one is also in the same museum. They are from the granite sanctuary of the great temple of Karnak. The doors of the temple of Solomon had hinges of gold. The temple seems to have been remarkable rather for lavish expenditure of gold and ornaments than for
contains 53 per cent of iron. The sites are in the vicinity of Mt. Sinai, and it is proposed to work over the debris of the former workings. Of the first use of iron in Egypt, Wilkinson says, we have no certain record. His surprise at the execution of the sculptures is very natural, but he does not appear to have estimated the character of the alloys of copper and tin, some of which are very hard. (See alloy; bronze.) Belzoni discovered an iron sickle-blade beneath a granite sphinx at Karnak. Colonel Vyce found an iron blade imbedded in the great pyramid. Layard found a steel cross-cut saw, and other articles of iron, at Nimroud; the saw is now in the British Museum. The butchers of Thebes and Memphis had steels slung from their belts. At Babylon the stones of the bridge across the Euphrates, built by Nitocris, were cramped by bands of iron set in lead. Thucydides says the blocks of the walls of the Pireus were fastened in the same way. Theseus, who ascended the throne of A
pes, a jew's-harp made of a strip of bamboo, and drums. The Maories have three or four varieties of flutes, a lyre with three or four strings, and conch-shells. The Society-Islanders have wooden drums with shark-skin heads; shell trumpets having holes in the small ends into which are fitted bamboo canes about three feet long; bamboo flutes blown through the nose. A greater variety and improved construction indicates a more advanced civilization. In the sculptures and paintings of Karnak are representations of musical instruments carried in processions. They consist of harps, maces, sistrums, lutes, flutes, and drums. We suppose musical science and art to have originated in Egypt, — the land where, over all others, the husbandman could tell when he sowed his grain how much he was to reap in harvest; where the chances were reduced to the minimum; and where, first of all lands, a cultivated leisure was possible. The musical instruments of Egypt utterly disprove the stat
at the tool he found in the rubbish of the quarry was sharpened like a cold chisel, and the head battered by hammering. It is 9 1/4 inches long; 1 inch in diameter at the summit; the edge 7/10 of an inch wide; the weight 1 3/4 pounds; the material bronze. Stone-cutting machine. The obelisks transported from the quarries of Syene, at the first cataracts, to Thebes and Heliopolis, vary from 70 to 93 feet in length. Wilkinson calculates the largest monolithic obelisk in Egypt. that at Karnak, at 297 tons This was brought 138 miles, from its quarry to its site, and those at Heliopolis were transported over 800 miles. The statues of Amunoph III are 47 feet in hight, and each made of a single stone, transported from its native quarry. That of Remeses II., when entire, weighed over 887 tons, and was brought from E'Sooan to Thebes, 138 miles The pedestal of Peter the Great's statue in St Petersburg is estimates to weigh 1,200 tons. Herodotus describes a block of stone brought from
The Daily Dispatch: may 2, 1862., [Electronic resource], The Unsuccessful incubation of the python. (search)
e in the Vigilant. H. M. steamer Bulldog, Commander McKillop, returned from Rum Cay this morning, and reports that not a vestige of H. M. steamers Conqueror can be seen above water. [From the Nassau Guardian, April 19th.] We are informed that the iron steamship British Queen, commander Harrison, hitherto employed as a passenger vessel between Liverpool and Havre, is advertised to leave England this day (April 19th) for New York, en route for Nassau, to supply the place of the Karnak.She is said to be a vessel of the same class, but of greater speed, averaging eleven knots per hour. The tonnage of the unfortunate Karnak was about 593½, She was built at Dunbarton in 1831, by W. Danny Brothers, and her engines were furnished by Tulles & Denny. She was engaged in the transport service during the Crimean war. She still lies midway between the point of Hog Island and Toney beacon, nearly upright Since the disaster the crew have been engaged in dismantling her. We notice