hide Matching Documents

Browsing named entities in Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies. You can also browse the collection for Annapolis (Maryland, United States) or search for Annapolis (Maryland, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 18 results in 10 document sections:

Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1828. (search)
soldiers of Massachusetts were assaulted in the streets of Baltimore. The railroad communication with the capital was interrupted, and the supplies for the troops there were nearly cut off. In respect to this latter danger, the clear, practical mind of Wadsworth seized at once the difficulties of the situation, and devised the remedy. With great promptness and energy, he caused two vessels to be loaded at New York, on his own account, with provisions for the army, and accompanied them to Annapolis, attending personally to their delivery. During that interval of great anxiety between the first demonstration of the enemy against Washington and the commencement of General McDowell's campaign, Wadsworth was in constant communication with Lieutenant-General Scott, and was employed by him in executing delicate and important commissions. But he was not content with the performance of duties which, however difficult and responsible, made his example less valuable than in the more dangero
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1853. (search)
, at that time, either of the United States or the Commonwealth, under which it could be carried into operation. It was necessary to obtain from the Secretary of War special authority for the enlistment and control of the proposed regiment. For this purpose, on the 25th of April, 1861, while the excitement which followed the Baltimore riot was at its height, and the usual communication with the seat of government was cut off, Mr. Dwight and Mr. Andrews left Boston, and went by the way of Annapolis to Washington. They reached there on the evening of the 27th, at which time he wrote to his father a brief account of this eventful journey through hostile country, saying that he was to have an interview with the Secretary of War that evening. After submitting his plan to the Secretary in conversation, he addressed to him a written statement of the same. On the next day the following letter was received from the War Department:— Washington city, April 28, 1861. To Messrs. Wi
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1854. (search)
e enough to be in Baltimore last Sunday, and to be here at present. How Jim and Henry will envy me! . . . . I shall come to see you, if I find there is nothing to be done here. So have the blue room ready. He put himself at once at the disposal of the government, and applied for the commission of Second Lieutenant of Artillery in the Regular Army. While awaiting the result of his application, Lowell sought to be of service as a civilian. As soon as the railway was opened, he went to Annapolis, and exerted himself there for the Massachusetts troops; first, in a private capacity, as the representative of several Boston gentlemen, and afterwards as a semi-official agent of the State. It is believed that he was also at this time employed by the government as a scout, and that in this perilous service he found opportunities of indulging his dashing spirit, and obtained valuable information concerning the condition and movements of the enemy. Washington, May 13, 1861. I fe
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1857. (search)
olonel) J. Lewis Stackpole, commanded the company. The Twenty-fourth Massachusetts was among the troops which constituted the force sent to North Carolina under General Burnside. The regiments destined for this command were sent at first to Annapolis in November, 1861, where they spent a short time in preparatory organization and brigade drill. The whole expedition set sail from Annapolis on the 9th of January, 1862, and arrived the next day at Fortress Monroe. After a short delay, the flAnnapolis on the 9th of January, 1862, and arrived the next day at Fortress Monroe. After a short delay, the fleet, composed in great part of vessels by no means in a fit condition for such important service, left Old Point, and arrived off Hatteras Inlet on the morning of the 13th. Here began one of the most trying episodes of the war. The extreme danger to which the fleet, with its precious freight of eight or ten thousand men, was exposed in endeavoring to pass through Hatteras Inlet,—owing to ignorance of the channel and the too great draught of water of most of the transports,—the confusion and al
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1858. (search)
ch his commander called such a wound, he made light of it,—never would have mentioned it had it not been necessary. But, in truth, he had succumbed at Harrison's Landing, and they had sent him North among the wounded. Instantly on arriving at Annapolis he hastened to discharge a duty which had been weighing on him during the passage; and, with characteristic modesty and self-forgetfulness, wrote this letter, of which the first five words and the last two sentences seem, in the original, to have been written some time after the rest:— in Hospital at Annapolis, July 5, 1862. dear—— , —I write to you sad news, for I know not how to write directly to the——. I telegraphed to-day to Dr. Walker, but very briefly. Jimmy [Lowell] was mortally wounded, in just the same way as Putnam, only more severely, in the fight last Monday afternoon. When I came in from the field, I found the brigade surgeon and the two regimental surgeons dressing his wound. He was entirely free f
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1859. (search)
rs. I saw there was a chance for escape. We were in a thick wood, but would in a few moments come into a clear country. I called for Martin, but got no reply. I gave my blanket to a member of Company E beside me, requesting him to give it to Martin; told him of my intention, and walked between the two separate guards and was free. The subsequent events of his unhappy experience are related in the following extract from a letter written by Mr. Lot H. Carley after his exchange, dated Annapolis, December 5, 1864:— Martin, being lame, fell back to the rear. White made his escape. The next morning the sick, Martin among them, were detached and put into the cars, reached Macon, where they remained two days, then started for Savannah. When about twenty-five miles from Macon he jumped from the car. The guard supposed he was falling, and attempted to catch him; he did get hold of him, which eased his fall very much; but as it was, he injured one leg badly by spraining his knee
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1860. (search)
remained until the early days of December, when, with the rest of the regiment, it took the field, and was encamped at Annapolis with the other regiments of what was afterwards known as the Burnside Expedition. While the Twenty-fourth was at AnnAnnapolis, Barstow's old friend Lieutenant Tom Robeson of the Second Massachusetts, then an officer of the Signal Corps, was sent thither for the purpose of instructing certain officers of the Burnside expedition in the duties of that corps. Two officIt was the proudest day of my life, he adds. In March, 1864, the Fifty-sixth Massachusetts joined the Ninth Corps at Annapolis. On the 20th of April, Brigadier-General T. G. Stevenson took command of the First Division, and detailed Mills as his bless you all, dear father. Excuse the shortness of this farewell note. His descriptions of the famous march from Annapolis are very graphic, but must be omitted for want of room. The call for the Seventh Regiment extending only to thirty day
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1861. (search)
e that have already gone are all. October 12. I have been on a hill about two miles from Munson's Hill for two days this week, signalling. We signalled at a distance of fifteen miles day and night. Seven of our party went down to Annapolis last Wednesday to go on a naval expedition. . . . . I have passed my examination and got through all right. There were ten officers sent back to their regiments, who did not get through. He was commissioned First Lieutenant, November 30, 1861, and was detailed on December 23d, with two other signal officers, to go with General Burnside's expedition, and joined General Burnside's command at Annapolis. Here he found a good deal of work and responsibility. He and his two associates, Lieutenants Fricker and Foster, had to instruct twenty other officers from the different regiments in the signal system, having but a short time in which to teach them and to take charge of all the signalling for the expedition. Early in January,
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1862. (search)
ond Regiment New York State Volunteers, the commission dating from September 20, 1862. In October he joined his regiment, then waiting orders at Ricker's Island, in New York Harbor. Thence the regiment was first ordered to Washington, next to Annapolis, and then to Hampton Roads. While lying near Fortress Monroe, the superior officers of his company left him for a little while in command, and during that period his courage and presence of mind were severely tested by the mutinous behavior ofny and relieved the hardships of camp life in very essential particulars. More notable incidents were the seizure of the ferry-boat at Havre de Grace, the capture of the Rebel Tilghman, and more especially the securing and bringing round from Annapolis to New York the old frigate Constitution. Our young heroes had their first taste of soldiers' hardships on board this ship, for she was, in the hurry, most inadequately provisioned for the voyage. The decision, energy, and generosity which ma
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1863. (search)
His first commission as Second Lieutenant of Company L bore date October 31, 1861; his commission as First Lieutenant, May 3, 1862; and his commission as Captain, October 24, 1862. His regiment passed much of its early career in camp near Annapolis, Maryland, under the command of Brigadier-General Hatch, United States Volunteers, a very energetic and agreeable man, as Barker wrote, who superintends in person, and instructs and suggests when he sees the officers at a loss. Although convinced ois spirits. I never saw him after our release from captivity, but I learned of that brave, generous baby's untimely death with great sorrow. After two months of imprisonment, Captain Barker was, on the 6th of May, exchanged, and ordered to Annapolis, where he rejoined his regiment on the 27th of the same month. He was engaged in many severe fights and constantly in skirmishes, and his regiment particularly distinguished itself at the battle of Gettysburg, under General Kilpatrick. He wen