hide Matching Documents

Browsing named entities in Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for Annapolis (Maryland, United States) or search for Annapolis (Maryland, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

on late that day and was encamped in the capitol. After the passage of these troops, the railways from Baltimore north to Harrisburg and east to Philadelphia were broken in consequence of the destruction of bridges by Southern sympathizers, and were not again opened for travel until the 7th of May; but in the meantime, troops in large numbers were brought to Washington from the North and the West by steamers from Perryville, on the Susquehanna, on the road to Philadelphia, down the bay to Annapolis, and thence by rail across to Washington, and also around the coast to Chesapeake bay, and up that and the Potomac, so that quite an army was gathered in that city when Col. J. K. Mansfield took command of it on the 27th of April. Steps were taken to guard the bridges from Virginia and all other approaches, Lincoln on the same day calling for twenty-five regiments of regulars in addition to the 75,000 three-months' men previously called. On the 25th of April, the Confederates planted b
ing to take charge of the schooner George M. Smith, off Fortress Monroe, loaded with contraband of war, when it was seized by the United States frigate Cumberland, and there resulted quite a correspondence between General Gwynn and Flag-Officer Pendergrast, of the United States navy, in reference to that and other captures of vessels in Hampton Roads, the one claiming the right to make such seizures and the other denying it. Learning that the Virginia midshipmen from the naval school at Annapolis had resigned and tendered their services to the State, Capt. R. L. Page, of the Virginia navy, at this time advised the establishment of a temporary schoolship for their use at Norfolk, for drill, etc., until their services were wanted for special duties, a suggestion that received the approval of the advisory council. A strict blockade had been established by the Federal authorities, cutting off all communication even with other Virginia ports; Federal vessels were constantly making so
the far South. He died at Yellow Sulphur Springs, Va., August 24, 1870. Major-General Fitzhugh Lee Major-General Fitzhugh Lee was born at Clermont, Fairfax county, Va., November 19, 1835. He is the son of Sydney Smith Lee, who was a brother of Robert E. Lee, and son of Gen. and Gov. Henry Lee. Sydney Smith Lee had a distinguished naval career for over forty years, beginning as a midshipman when fourteen years of age. He commanded a vessel at Vera Cruz, was three years commandant at Annapolis, and for the same period in charge of the Philadelphia navy yard; commanded Commodore Perry's flagship in the Japan expedition, and when the first Japanese embassadors came to America, he was associated with Farragut and D. D. Porter in a committee for their reception and entertainment. He resigned his position as chief of the bureau of coast survey to join the Confederacy, and was on duty at Norfolk; in command of fortifications at Drewry's bluff; chief of the bureau of orders and detail