Browsing named entities in Col. O. M. Roberts, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 11.1, Texas (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for Fort Taylor (Texas, United States) or search for Fort Taylor (Texas, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 29 results in 5 document sections:

t could be concentrated promptly at or near Brownsville. Fort Brown, the nearest post to the islanand his secretary, Mr. Waller, proceeded to Brownsville; Col. F. W. Latham of that place furnishingiver, so as to permanently hold the fort at Brownsville, it would be proper to increase their strens. With that view Colonel Ford remained at Brownsville to watch the action of the Federals, and to Brazos Santiago with a Federal officer from Fort Brown, who expected to meet the steamer Webster frith. Major Porter and Colonel Ford went to Brownsville the same morning. On March 4th it was repo on the island that there was shooting up at Fort Brown, and as it was supposed it was in honor of Pary until the Federals left in vessels from Brownsville. Commissioner Nichols carried back the com0 men, who soon afterward took possession of Fort Brown as the headquarters of the district. Detachle property on Brazos island was moved up to Fort Brown. Thus Colonel Ford, assisted by the officer[1 more...]
in Texas. Col. John S. Ford discharged the State troops that had gone in the expedition on the lower Rio Grande in 1861, when their term of service expired, and was relieved by Colonel Luckett and his command, who remained for some time at Fort Brown. Colonel Ford was ordered to San Antonio by General Bee in May, 1862, and by his suggestion was placed on conscript duty at Austin, and there organized his command for the discharge of that duty, with Capt. Wm. E. Walsh, Henry Trask, lieutenantckett's infantry regiment, ten companies; Capt. R. Benevides, one cavalry company; Maj. Wm. O. Yager, four cavalry companies; Capt. E. Cruegbaur's heavy artillery; Capt. R. B. Maclin's light artillery, and Capt. S. Benavides, one cavalry company, on the Rio Grande from Fort Brown to Laredo. Although these particular commands did not continue in that sub-district, there was generally an effort to keep a force there sufficient to protect the ports and keep the way open for the Mexican trade.
his land forces. The recapture of Galveston occurred January 1, 1863, and was reported by General Magruder to Gen. Samuel Cooper, adjutant-general, as follows: Galveston, February 26, 1863. Sir: On my arrival in Texas I found the harbors of this coast in the possession of the enemy, from Sabine river to Corpus Christi; the line of the Rio Grande virtually abandoned, most of the guns having been moved from that frontier to San Antonio, only about 300 or 400 men remaining at Brownsville. I resolved to regain the harbors if possible, and to occupy the valley of the Rio Grande in force. The latter would be a very serious undertaking on account of the scarcity of supplies in Mexico and the difficulty of transporting them across the desert from eastern Texas. Having announced this determination as soon as I arrived on the Sabine, Capt. A. R. Wier, of Cook's regiment of artillery, commanding a fort on that river, stepped forward and volunteered with his company to man a st
that General Bee did not immediately leave Brownsville, and that Slaughter was not there until thereported that he had been forced to evacuate Fort Brown, and was then retiring with a large and valusion of on November 2d. The Federals held Fort Brown and garrisoned posts for some distance up thwith him. The Federal forces at that time at Fort Brown, Ringgold barracks and some other points on had retreated from Laredo. From Laredo to Brownsville was about 210 miles, and from his camp to BBrownsville about 165 miles. Colonel Benavides, in going up to hasten his force to Laredo, left Capts with Mexico, at points of the river above Brownsville; and thereby we may account for his protracthe Rio Grande and moving down the river to Brownsville, which he reached without encountering any lonel Ford both agreed. After returning to Brownsville the Confederate mounted forces were sent tong the officers to proceed at once either to Fort Brown or directly to the assistance of Captain Rob[4 more...]
labama. In addition to his public service in the ante-Confederate period, which has been mentioned, he acted as clerk to Governor Lubbock when the latter was comptroller of the Texas republic, and was speaker of the third house of representatives of the State. During 1861 he was in command of State troops on the coast as brigadier-general in the provisional army of Texas, and in March, 1862, when he was commissioned brigadier-general in the Confederate service, he was put in command at Brownsville. In November, 1863, he had but 69 men at this post, but, in the face of 12,000 men, landed by General Banks, he successfully brought off Confederate stores and munitions valued at $1,000,000. During the following winter he commanded a force of 10,000 men on the coast, from Brazos to Matagorda bay: and early in 1864 he took several regiments of cavalry to Louisiana, with three of which he reported to Gen. Richard Taylor in time to participate in the battle of Mansfield. At Pleasant Hill