Your search returned 1,564 results in 413 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
ve service. Accordingly, he resigned in February, 1840. In order to give definite shape to his purpose of establishing himself as a farmer in Texas, it was necessary for General Johnston to raise the means by selling his real estate elsewhere. After his resignation he went to Louisville for this purpose, but came back to Galveston during the summer on business. In November, 1840, he returned to Kentucky, and was absent from Texas a year. Part of the summer of 1841 he spent at Newport, Rhode Island, and other agreeable places on the Atlantic coast, in charge of some young relations. During General Johnston's absence in December, 1841, President Lamar's health became so bad that he vacated his office, leaving the Administration in the hands of Vice-President Burnet. In the following spring the names of a good many gentlemen were canvassed in view of the presidency, but finally the struggle was narrowed down to a contest between Houston and Burnet. Judge Burnet, in spite of
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1., chapter 14.53 (search)
ccupied Havelock Station with one company of the 5th Rhode Island Battalion. The 21st, Fort Macon after its capture by the Union forces, showing effects of the bombardment. From war-time sketches. Carolina City, a small settlement opposite Bogue Island, was occupied; the 22d, two companies of the 4th Rhode Island took possession of Morehead City; the night of the 25th, a detachment of the same regiment, with a company of the 8th Connecticut, occupied Beaufort; and the night of the 23d, Newport was garrisoned by the 5th Rhode Island. Thus all the important positions around or in the vicinity of Fort Macon had fallen into the possession of the Union forces without contest or the loss of a man. General Parke, who had established his headquarters at Carolina City, demanded a surrender of the fort, which was refused. The evidence of preparations completed and in hand left no doubt upon the mind of General Parke that Colonel White intended to make a desperate defense. It was therefo
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Army Life in a Black Regiment, Appendix D: the struggle for pay. (search)
ced. The few thousand dollars in question are nothing compared with the absolute wrong done and the discredit it has brought, both here and in Europe, upon the national name. T. W. Higginson, Late Col. 1st S. C. Vols. (now 3d U S. C. T.) Newport, R. I., December 8, 1864. Petition. To the Honorable Senate and House of Representatives of the United States in Congress assembled:-- The undersigned respectfully petitions for the repeal of so much of Section IV. of the Act of Congress makietween those colored soldiers who were free on or before April 19, 1861, and those who were not free until a later date; Or at least that there may be such legislation as to secure the fulfilment of pledges of full pay from date of enlistment, made by direct authority of the War Department to the colored soldiers of South Carolina, on the faith of which pledges they enlisted. Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Late Colonel 1st S. C. Vols. (now 33d U. S. C. Vols.) Newport, R. I., December 9, 1864.
The Atlanta (Georgia) Campaign: May 1 - September 8, 1864., Part I: General Report. (ed. Maj. George B. Davis, Mr. Leslie J. Perry, Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley), chapter 107 (search)
e left in the morning. September 1, marched two and a half miles and took part in the battle of Jonesborough, of which I send you a report, appended. 2d, marched to Jonesborough, encamping in the outskirts of the town. 6th, marched two miles on the Atlanta road and bivouacked. 7th, marched to Rough and Ready. 8th, marched to our present position near Atlanta. This command left Graysville with 9 commissioned officers and 380 enlisted men. Company C, Third Battalion, joined from Fort Adams, R. I., with one officer and eighty-nine enlisted men. At Tunnel Hill a leave of absence was granted to Maj. Albert Tracy, and the command devolved upon Capt. A. B. Dod, who retained command until August 1. At this date, Captain Dod receiving a leave of absence to await the acceptation of his resignation, Capt. James Curtis relieved him. When we were drawn up in line behind our breast-works, before making the charge of August 7, I was notified that Captain Curtis had been wounded, and being
part of the territory ceded by Georgia to the United States. Its early history was marked by conflicts with the Spanish authorities, who had held possession, and who had a fort and garrison in Natchez. During the administration of President Adams a military force was sent down to take possession of the country. It was commanded by General Wilkinson, for whom the county in which we lived was named. He built a fort overlooking the Mississippi, and named it, in honor of the President, Fort Adams. There is still a village and river-landing by that name. My first tuition was in the usual log-cabin school-house; At this time Jefferson and his little sister Pollie used to take a basket of luncheon and walk to school. She was two years older than he, but he thought he must take care of her. There used to be a peripatetic chair-mender who carried home his. work in stacks on his head. He often got so drunk as to stagger aimlessly about, and at these times was quarrelsome, not t
several years, and being desirous to go to Europe on business and to see his family, he took passage on board a British vessel called the Adelso, bound to Halifax, N. S., in order to meet one of the Cunard steamers. This vessel sailed from Wilmington without hindrance. During the storm of the 12th instant the vessel became disabled, and the captain, rather than let her go down with all hands on board, bore up for a friendly port, as he supposed, in distress. Having got safely into Newport, Rhode Island, under the British flag, the Adelso was boarded by the revenue yacht Henrietta, Lieut, Bennett, who, ascertaining that the Adelso was last from Wilmington, North Carolina, took possession of her and put a prize crew of one officer and five men on board, sealed up the trunks and papers of the master and passengers, and made them all prisoners, and processes for libel and condemnation were issued in the courts of that district by the captors. M. Bebian wished to go ashore and see the
ce or deference toward Yankees by a government that entreats them here to enjoy the fats of offices and contracts, or by a public which has not forgotten its old standard of society, as measured in the amount of court and dirty toadyism they might be permitted to pay to Northern notabilities. But we were mistaken. We are intensely and altogether surprised at the latest event of Yankee impudence and Richmond servility. We are surprised to learn that a certain Yankee, Dr. King, from Newport, Rhode Island, has been permitted to come here to see a sick son, a prisoner. We are surprised to learn that the doctor, his lady, and son, are occupying very select rooms at the Arlington House. We are surprised to learn that these persons are called upon by the would-be elite (a very feeble would-be, though, we suppose) of Richmond, and that women of Virginia, making such social pretence, have been flocking to see the Yankee family circle and to perform daily the debasing work of paying the gr
on Hog Island, Portland harbor; seventy-five thousand dollars for Fort Warren, and fifty thousand dollars for For Winthrop, Boston harbor; one hundred thou sand dollars for the fort in New Bedford harbor. The appropriation also included the following for the year 1862: fifty thousand dollars for Fort Knox; fifty thousand dollars for Hog Island Fort; fifty thousand dollars for Fort Winthrop and exterior batteries ; fifty thousand dollars for fort at New Bedford; fifty thousand dollars for Fort Adams, Newport. The Seventy--sixth Regiment New York State Volunteers, under the command of Colonel Green, and two artillery companies, commanded by Captains von Puttakamer and Ellis, left Albany for the seat of war. They were reviewed in the Park by Governor Morgan, and addressed by Governor Pierce, of Ulster, before their departure. They are a fine body of men, and number one thousand and three hundred strong. Navigation of the Mississippi River was entirely suspended at St. Louis i
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., chapter 7.51 (search)
f the city, on account of shallow water. But the lower bay offered a charming resting-place for the fleet, with the additional attraction of plenty of fish and oysters, and an occasional chance to forage on shore. At sunset the last orders had been issued, every commander knew his duty, and unusual quiet prevailed in the fleet. The sea was smooth, a gentle breeze relieved the midsummer heat, and the night came on serenely and peacefully, and far more quietly than to a yachting fleet at Newport. For the first hour after the candles were lighted below the stillness was almost oppressive. The officers of the Hartford gathered around the ward-room table, writing letters to loved ones far away, or giving instructions in case of death. As brave and thoughtful men, they recognized the dangers that they did not fear, and made provision for the possibilities of the morrow. But this occupied little The battle of Mobile. From a War-time sketch. time, and then. business over, there
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., General Warren at five Forks, and the court of inquiry. (search)
graph an extract from General Orders No. 78, of May 1st, assigning me to the command of the Department of the Mississippi. I at once proceeded to Washington, and, after a personal interview with General Grant, received, on the 6th of May, an answer to my communications of the 9th and 22d of April, authorizing my publishing them, and stating the reasons for not granting me the investigation sought. General Warren resigned his volunteer commission May 27, 1865; he died Aug. 8, 1882, at Newport, R. I. A court of inquiry was finally granted to General Warren on the 9th of December, 1879, by President Hayes. As finally constituted, the court consisted of Brevet Major-Generals C. C. Augur and John Newton, and Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel Loomis L. Langdon, recorder. The inquiry related to four imputations contained in the final reports of Grant and Sheridan. First. General Grant wrote: In his Memoirs (C. L. Webster & Co., 1885), General Grant says: I was so munch dissatisfie
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...