Browsing named entities in Elias Nason, McClellan's Own Story: the war for the union, the soldiers who fought it, the civilians who directed it, and his relations to them.. You can also browse the collection for Tunstall (Virginia, United States) or search for Tunstall (Virginia, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 45 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
dition of the capital takes command of the division of the Potomac State of the army numbers, increase, and position of troops. I reached Washington late in the afternoon of Friday, July 26. I called on Gen. Scott that evening, and next morning reported to the adjutant-general, who instructed me to call upon the President, by whom I was received cordially and informed that he had placed me in command of Washington and all the troops in its vicinity. He directed me to return to the White House at one o'clock to be present at a cabinet meeting. I called again on Gen. Scott, then commanding the army of the United States, and, after conversing with him for some time on the state of affairs, casually remarked that I must take my leave, as the President had desired me to attend a cabinet meeting at one o'clock. Upon this the general became quite indignant and said that it was highly improper that I should receive such an invitation to his exclusion, and insisted upon keeping me unt
e want of officers of regiments. We have good material, but no officers. Aug. 14, 1861. I was so occupied yesterday that I could not write. Profs. Mahan and Bache at breakfast. Then came the usual levee. Then Burnside turned up, and I had to listen to his explanation of some slanders against him; then some naval officers; then I don't know how many others before dinner. After dinner I rode out until about nine, when I found the President had been to see me and wanted me at the White House. After I got through there I went to see Montgomery Blair on business. Then, on my return, found some more of the cabinet, McDowell, etc., so that it was after midnight when I got to my room, completely fatigued. So my days and nights pass, a steady course of conversations and orders all day. Except when I get out for a ride, no relief for mind or body. Washington, 16th. . . . I am here in a terrible place: the enemy have from three to four times my force; the President, the old
information reached me when the crisis of my malady was over, and learning — also through Mr. Stanton--that a grand conclave was to assemble without my knowledge, I mustered strength enough on Sunday morning (Jan. 12, 1862) to be driven to the White House, where my unexpected appearance caused very much the effect of a shell in a powder-magazine. It was very clear from the manner of those I met there that there was something of which they were ashamed. I made no allusion to what I knew, nor was anything said to me on the subject. But I took advantage of the occasion to explain to the President in a general and casual way what my intentions were; and before I left he told me that there was to be a meeting at the White House next day, and invited me to attend, but made no reference to the object of the meeting. At the designated hour I went to the President's office and there met a party consisting of the President, Secretaries Seward, Chase, and Blair, Gens. McDowell, Franklin,
I will do my best, try to preserve an honest mind, do my duty as best I may, and will ever continue to pray that He will give me that wisdom, courage, and strength that are so necessary to me now, and so little of which I possess. The outside world envy me, no doubt. They do not know the weight of care that presses on me. . . . I will try again to write a few lines before I go to Stanton's to ascertain what the law of nations is on this Slidell and Mason seizure. . . . I went to the White House shortly after tea. I then went to the Prince de Joinville's. We went up-stairs and had a long, confidential talk upon politics. The prince is a noble character, one whom I shall be glad to have you know well. He bears adversity so well and so uncomplainingly. I admire him more than almost any one I have ever met with. He is true as steel; like all deaf men, very reflective; says but little, and that always to the point. . . After I left the prince's I went to Seward's, where I found t
ksburg to Richmond, on the south by the James from Richmond to the mouth of the Appomattox, on the east by a curved line running from the mouth of the Appomattox to a point on the Chickahominy between Long's and Bottom's bridges, thence to the White House on the Pamunkey, thence through King and Queen Court-House to a point on the Rappahannock about ten miles above Urbana, and thence to the mouth of the Potomac, the northern boundary being the Potomac from the mouth of Acquia creek downward. My bases of operations at Washington and Fortress Monroe were both removed from my control, and I remained simply with my 85,000 men, and not even the ground they occupied until I passed beyond White House. Add to this consideration that I had now only too good reason to feel assured that the administration, and especially the Secretary of War, were inimical to me and did not desire my success, and some conception may be formed of the weight upon my mind at a time when whatever hopefulness an
e 11th he sent Maj. Williams with six companies of cavalry to occupy the railroad-crossing at White House and scout the surrounding country. He was again delayed on the 11th by the necessity of awai and 16th the divisions of Porter, Franklin, and Smith were with great difficulty advanced to White House. The roads were so bad, narrow, and infrequent as to render the movements of large masses vers to move two divisions and their trains five miles. On the 16th headquarters advanced to White House; and on that day and the next Sykes and the reserve artillery moved up to the same point withficiency of the cavalry force in point of numbers. On the 18th of May headquarters were at White House; the advanced guard held the country nearly to the Chickahominy and well to the north of the railway. The 5th and 6th corps were at White House; the 2d, 3d, and 4th corps were near New Kent Court-House. The enemy had withdrawn across the Chickahominy, having his main force between New br
ight, and has been amusing itself in the same manner very persistently all day. I had expected to move headquarters to White House to-day; but this weather has put the roads in such condition that I cannot do more than get Franklin and Porter there in the Prussian army. I knew him abroad, and the old gentleman writes to me occasionally. Telegram--May 16, 1862, White House.--Have just arrived over horrid roads. No further movement possible until they improve. This house is where Washingtand in fine spirits. Hope to get our baggage up by water, otherwise will fare badly to-night. May 16, 11.30 P. M., White House. . . I rode over a horrid road to this place this morning; spent some time at Washington's house, or at least his a great many different orders for parties to move out at daybreak on reconnoissances. . . May 18, Sunday, 6 P. M., White House. . . . We leave here in the morning. Porter and Franklin march at four and eight A. M., headquarters at seven. W
Chapter 22: White House the Chickahominy river bridges battle of Hanover Court House Porter's victory neglect at Washington McDowell's retention useless. White House was a very fine plantation belonging to Mrs. Gen. Lee. It was the residence of Mrs. Custis when she was married to Washington. The ceremonyuly as did the great man who had often worshipped there. The residence at White House was not the original building of the time of Washington — that had been destmyself. On the 19th headquarters and the 5th and 6th corps advanced to Tunstall's Station, six miles from White House. The rain recommenced on this day, and throuWhite House. The rain recommenced on this day, and through it I rode to Bottom's bridge and made a short reconnoissance. The enemy were there, but not in great force. The advanced guard was near New bridge. The camp le needless damage in a hostile country. But at best a large McClellan at White House army leaves a wide swath in its rear, and cannot move without leaving the ma
the beginning in asserting that the serious opposition was to be made here. And to the Secretary of War on the same day: June 4. Please inform me at once what reinforcements, if any, I can count upon having at Fortress Monroe or White House within the next three days, and when each regiment may be expected to arrive. It is of the utmost importance that I should know this immediately. The losses in the battle of the 31st and 1st will amount to (7,000) seven thousand. Regard thiminy at Long bridge. The burning of two schooners laden with forage and fourteen government wagons, the destruction of some sutlers' stores, the killing of several of the guard and teamsters at Garlick's landing, some little damage done at Tunstall's Station, and a little éclat, were the precise results of this expedition. On the 14th I telegraphed to the Secretary of War: June 14, midnight All quiet in every direction. The stampede of last night has passed away. Weather now very
4: private letters. [ May 20 to June 26, 1862. ] May 20, 12.30 A. M., Tunstall's Station. . . . I moved headquarters and four divisions here to-day, about six miles from the White House. I rode myself to Bottom's bridge in the rain, and made a short reconnoissance of it. Found the enemy there, though not in great force. rear, but my men are generally behaving very well. May 21, 1.30 A. M., Tunstall's Station. . . . Headquarters will move to-morrow some seven or eight miles morna. . . . McCall's division has commenced arriving; some of them reached the White House last night. This relieves me very much. June 12, 8 A. M., New bridge vents. . . . I see the Abolitionists have got a new dodge in my behalf — the White House business! In the first place, I never saw Col. Lee in my life, and, of cour to prevent them from being misused by the men. So you have the truth of the White House story, all of which was in the possession of the secretary some ten days ago
1 2