hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 48 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 48 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Adjutant,—Garth W. James. Quartermaster,—John Ritchie. Company A. Capt., John W. M. Appleton. 1st Lieut., Wm. Homans. Company B. Capt., Samuel Willard [Mann]. 1st Lieut., James M. Walton. 2d Lieut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith. 2d Lieut., James A. Pratt. Company H. Capt., Cabot J. Russel. 2d Lieut., Willard Howard. Company I. Capt., George Pope. 1st Lieut., Francis L. Higginson. 2d Lieut., Charles E. Tucker. Company K. Capt., William H. Simpkins. 2d Lieut., Henry W. Littlefield. Lewis H. Douglass, a son of Frederick Douglass, was the original sergeant-major. Arthur B. Lee, of Company A, was made commissary-sergeant; and Theodore J. Becker, hospital stewa
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 5: the greater assault on Wagner. (search)
F. Pvt. Geo. WilsonCo. A. The following is the list of casualties:— Officers. Col. R. G. Shaw killed Lieut.-Col. E. N. Hallowell wounded Adjt. G. W. James wounded Capt. S. Willard wounded Capt. C. J. Russel missing, supposed to be killed Capt. W. H. Simpkins missing, supposed to be killed Capt. Geo. Pope wounded Capt. E. L. Jones wounded Capt. J. W. M. Appleton wounded Capt. O. E. Smith wounded 1st Lieut. R. H. L. Jewett wounded 1st Lieut. Wm. H. Homans wounded 2d Lieut. C. E. Tucker wounded 2d Lieut. J. A. Pratt wounded Enlisted Men. Killed 9 Wounded 147 Missing 100 Total 256 I have the honor to be, very respectfully, Your obedient servant, E. N. Hallowell, Colonel Commanding Fifty-fourth Massachusetts Volunteers. Lieutenant Howard, in falling back from the fort, with a few men he had gathered, retired directly down the beach, not encountering the larger part of the regiment. Lieut. T. L. Appleton retired first but a short distance, where
to the severe losses of the previous day. Men who had wandered to other points during the night continued to join their comrades until some four hundred men were present. A number were without arms, which had either been destroyed or damaged in their hands by shot and shell, or were thrown away in the effort to save life. The officers present for duty were Captain Emilio, commanding, Surgeon Stone, Quartermaster Ritchie, and Lieutenants T. W. Appleton, Grace, Dexter, Jewett, Emerson, Reid, Tucker, Johnston, Howard, and Higginson. Some fifty men, slightly wounded, were being treated in camp. The severely wounded, including seven officers, were taken on the 19th to hospitals at Beaufort, where every care was given them by the medical men, General Saxton, his officers, civilians, and the colored people. By order of General Terry, commanding Morris Island, the regiment on the 19th was attached to the Third Brigade with the Tenth Connecticut, Twenty-fourth Massachusetts, Seventh Ne
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
Albert G. Browne, Esq., the special agent of the Treasury Department, whose headquarters were at Beaufort. His son, Col. Albert G. Browne, Jr., was the military secretary of Governor Andrew, and also one of the regiment's early and tried friends. There had been several promotions in consequence of the action of July 18. Lieutenant Smith was made captain of Company G, but was still North; Lieutenant Walton, captain of Company B, vice Willard, resigned. Second Lieutenants T. L. Appleton, Tucker, Howard, Pratt, and Littlefield were made first lieutenants. These officers were all present except Lieutenant Pratt, who never re-joined. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Emerson had returned from sick leave. Lieutenants E. G. Tomlinson and Charles G. Chipman, appointed to the regiment, had joined. A number of the wounded had returned from hospital, and the first lot of furloughed men came back, and with them Capt. J. W. M. Appleton. By these accessions the Fifty-fourth had more officers
and reconnoissances. On the 23d the prize steamers Sumter and Hattie Brock, captured at Deep Creek on the 14th, were brought to Jacksonville. During March, Lieutenant Howard was made adjutant. Captains Jones and Walton re-joined. Lieutenants Chas. Jewett, Jr., and Daniel G. Spear, newly appointed, joined. Assistant-Surgeon Pease went North sick, and never returned. News of a number of promotions came on the 26th. Lieutenant Homans was made captain of Company C, vice Partridge; Lieutenant Tucker captain of Company H, vice Higginson; Lieut. T. L. Appleton captain of Company G, vice Smith. Second Lieutenants Chipman, Lewis Reed, Leonard, Knowles, Duren, and Newell were promoted first lieutenants. Sergt. Stephen A. Swails, of Company F, was commissioned second lieutenant. Brig.-Gen. John P. Hatch relieved General Seymour of the command in Florida, March 28. He was a West Point graduate, who had served with the Third Infantry and Mounted Rifles in Mexico and on the frontier.
oating torpedo, which he secured and brought to Black Island. It was made of staves, cigar-shaped, with a large cap to explode by contact. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper assumed command of the Defences of Lighthouse Inlet on May 7. They included Black Island, Battery Purviance, and Fort Green, on Folly Island, opposite Purviance. These two batteries mounted thirty-pounder Parrotts for offensive purposes against James Island. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper made his headquarters at Fort Green. Captain Tucker, with Company H, left Black Island and relieved Lieutenant-Colonel Fox and Companies A and F, Fifty-fifth Massachusetts, at Fort Green on the 7th. Company I, under Lieut. Lewis Reed, took the place of Company H at Black Island. A rude structure of logs raised above the marsh had been built by the Confederates near the water-ways toward James Island. We called it Block House No. 1. Lieutenant Spear made a reconnoissance of it on the night of the 8th, and was twice fired upon. Capt.
s was a great one to the regiment, for he was a devoted patriot, a kind-hearted man, and an exceedingly brave soldier. Captain Emilio came to camp with Company E from Fort Green, on the 8th, when relieved by Lieutenant Newell with Company B. Captain Tucker and Company H reported from Black Island on the 20th, and Lieutenant Duren and Company D were relieved at Fort Shaw on the 23d. Captain Pope succeeded Captain Homans in the command of Black Island on the 24th. Our details for grand guard wererick H. Webster reported for duty July 16, and Asst.-Surg. Louis D. Radzinsky, August 16. Captain Jones departed North sick, July 29, and never returned. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, Adjutant Howard, Quartermaster Ritchie, and Captains Emilio and Tucker received leave of absence for short periods. Lieutenant Swails was furloughed to prosecute his claims for muster in the North. Captain Bridge was in command of the regiment during Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper's absence; and Lieut. David Reid acte
Pawnee, Mingoe, Pontiac, Sonoma, Winona, and Wissahickon to take part. Our regiment started on this expedition in light marching order, with Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, commanding, Acting Major Pope, Surgeon Briggs, Assistant-Surgeon Radzinsky, Adjutant Howard, Quartermaster Ritchie; Company C, Captain Homans and Lieutenants Bridgham and Spear; Company E, Lieutenant Chipman, commanding, and Lieutenant Cousens; Company G, Lieut. David Reid, commanding, and Lieutenant Webster; Company H, Captain Tucker and Lieutenant Stevens; Company A, Lieutenant Knowles; Company D, Lieutenant Emerson, commanding, and Lieutenant Hallett; Company I, Lieut. Lewis Reed; Company K, Lieutenant Leonard, commanding, and Lieut. Charles Jewett,—a force of twenty-one officers and 540 men. Captains T. L. Appleton and R. H. L. Jewett were on staff duty with General Hatch. A large fleet was ready at Port Royal, the decks of the transports crowded with troops; and the pier at Hilton Head was full of stores and m
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 13: operations about Pocotaligo. (search)
val Brigade departed for Port Royal, where it disbanded two days later. A family of ten contrabands came in to us at Graham's on the 29th, reporting but few Confederates in our immediate front, and that they were taking up the railroad iron. Captain Tucker, the next day, with twenty men, went out on a scout, and exchanged shots with the enemy. The last day of the year was warm and springlike; but after sundown the temperature fell, ice formed, and large fires were found necessary for warmth. sent word to brigade headquarters that a part of Sherman's army was near. Colonel Hallowell, at 11 A. M., with the Fifty-fourth and Thirty-third, moved to the Steuart house, and coming to the Mackay Point and Pocotaligo road, turned into it. Captain Tucker, with Companies A, G, H, and I, preceded the column, skirmishing. It was a fine bright day, and we moved on over high rolling land on the route pursued by Gen. J. M. Brannan's force, when, in October, 1862, he attacked the enemy at Pocotalig
dge; Company C, Lieutenant Spear; Company B, Lieutenant Hallett; Company H, Captain Tucker and Lieutenant Stevens; Company A, Lieutenant Rogers; Company D, Captain Chtree Bridge across the Black River, exchanging shots with a small force. Captain Tucker, with Companies A and H of the Fifty-fourth, was sent to Eppes's Bridge on ridge on the Camden Branch, so that the enemy could not interfere suddenly, Captain Tucker with two companies was sent in search of it. Shortly after, Lieutenant-ColoSeventh Ohio came there from the direction of Camden along the railroad. Captain Tucker proceeded some three miles, and secured three locomotives and thirty-five cn sight of the trestle, which we had fired, supposing he would march back. Captain Tucker thus narrates the sequel:— Knowing that any delay would be dangerous, aundred and Seventh Ohio embarked on the cars brought in, Major Pope helping Captain Tucker with his engine. The destruction of all property at the junction was effec
1 2