Your search returned 90 results in 26 document sections:

1 2 3
he trustees chosen at this meeting selected Walnut Hill, near the line between Medford and Somerville, for the site of the college. To this selection they were in some measure influenced by the offer of twenty acres of land on the summit, by Charles Tufts, Esq., of Somerville, and also by the offer of adjoining lots by two public-spirited gentlemen of Medford. In gratitude for a munificent donation by Mr. Tufts, the name, Tufts College, was adopted. In the spring of 1852, a college charterMr. Tufts, the name, Tufts College, was adopted. In the spring of 1852, a college charter was granted by the Legislature of this Commonwealth. Under the provisions of this charter, a board of sixteen trustees was subsequently chosen, of which Mr. Oliver Dean, M. D., of Boston, is president. In July, 1852, Rev. Thomas J. Sawyer, D. D., of New York, was elected, by the trustees, president of the college; but, he declining to accept the office on the terms proposed, Rev. Hosea Ballou, 2d, D. D., of Medford, was chosen, in May, 1853, to fill the vacancy. The corner-stone of the pr
s elsewhere. After an interval of seven years and a half, a petition for the restoration of the charter was signed by eleven members of the lodge as it stood in 1838, to which were added the signatures of other brethren, who thus declared their interest in the reorganization, and their purpose to support the lodge. On the 27th of December, 1845, the charter was restored to Isaac Livermore, Isaiah Bangs, Nathaniel Livermore, Thomas F. Norris, Jacob H. Bates, John Edwards, Jonathan Hyde, Charles Tufts, John Chamberlin, Nathaniel Munroe, and Emery Willard. At the first meeting when the lodge was organized for business, several new members were elected, and one of them, Lucius R. Paige, was elected Master. Simon W. Robinson, the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, installed the officers. From that time there has been no break in the regular meetings and proper business of the lodge. After the reorganization, meetings were held in the hall of Friendship Lodge of Odd Fellows, on Main S
ded his introduction of the first speaker with a few eloquent words of welcome. The city of Somerville, said he, has many things of which to be proud. Its soil has been pressed by heroes and martyrs. Its citizenship is progressive. It is a city of homes. Its churches are broad in spirit and motive. He then presented President E. H. Capen, of Tufts College, as the head of an institution of which Somerville is proud. President Capen's interesting review of the life and services of Charles Tufts was listened to with close attention. John F. Ayer gave the historical address, which was a valuable contribution to the occasion. The anniversary hymn, written for the occasion by Frank M. Hawes, was sung, following which Rev. Charles Conklin, superintendent of the Universalist churches of Massachusetts, in his short one-minute speech expressed the pleasure and congratulations of the other churches of the state in such an auspicious event. Rev. Charles A. Skinner touched many t
r. Rev. Charles A. Skinner. 6. Address—Charles Tufts. Rev. E. H. Capen, D. D. 7. Historical of Tufts College After the death of Charles Tufts, I made several calls on Mrs. Tufts, who tMrs. Tufts, who told me several incidents in connection with the founding of Tufts College. One of these was his remawas not realized at the time when related by Mrs. Tufts. The founding of the college was no mere accident, for as early as 1840 Mr. Tufts had made plans for such an institution. In 1847 Samuel Frothingham, Sylvanus Cobb, and Mr. Tufts, with others, were incorporated for the purpose of establisombly, collector. At this first meeting Charles Tufts offered the society the lot of land upon w It is a noticeable fact that the name of Charles Tufts does not appear on the list of members, neptly and favorably acted upon by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Tufts, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Munroe, Jr., Mr. ande infant society. The bequest of the late Mrs. Tufts, amounting to $5,000, has been referred to; [3 more...]
Rev. Benjamin K. Russ Benjamin Kimball Russ, born in Salem, N. H., January 17, 1834, died in Gorham, N. H., November 6, 1896. Mr. Russ was a member of the class of 1860, Tufts College, and began to preach some time in 1861, and was ordained in 1862. Rev. Dr. Leonard, dean of Tufts Divinity School, who knew Mr. Russ all through his college days, says of him: All through his college course he was interested in theological questions. He heard a greater number of preachers than any one I ever knew. They were his study and theological school. His first pastorate was at Somerville, Mass., where he remained about twelve years. Not long after leaving Somerville, he was stricken with paralysis, and was an invalid several years. In 1889 he went to Gorham, N. H., where he soon had another shock, but had partially recovered from its effects, and was a faithful pastor and helpful preacher, serving the parish without a stipulated salary, and taking only such pecuniary assistance as came
uating, he entered the Wesleyan Academy at Kent's Hill, Me., with the idea of becoming a Methodist minister. He read the works of Channing and Emerson, and became deeply interested. Early in life he heard Rev. Henry Blanchard preach, and the sermon proved to be the turning point in Mr. Powers' career. He decided to become a member of the Universalist Church and a preacher of its doctrines. He entered Tufts Theological School and took the regular two-years' course, devoting his time to hard study. Lacking the necessary funds to complete his education, he taught school for the purpose of securing money, and a year later obtained a position as city editor of the Atlantic City Times, of Atlantic City, N. J. He returned to Tufts in 1888 and finished his course, graduating with honors in 1890. He was at once called to pastorates at Mansfield and Foxboro, from which he came to Somerville. Rev. Mr. Powers resigned his pastorate in this city to accept a call to Grace Church, Buffalo.
evens, Mrs. Childs, Mrs. George S. Fogg, Miss Martha Hadley, Mrs. George W. Ireland, Mrs. George H. Emerson. Miss A. Horton, Mrs. E. E. Cole, Mrs. Fitch Cutter. Mrs. Charles Munroe, Mrs. Charles Williams, Mrs. Abel Fitz, Mrs. Aaron Sargent, Mrs. Charles Tufts, Miss Mary Giles, Mrs. Edwin Daniels, Mrs. E. A. Bacon, Mrs. A. Waters, Mrs. Frank Russell. The society started with forty-one members. The first president was Mrs. Nancy T. Munroe, for many years the editor, in connection with Mrs. E. A. Bacon, of the Ladies' Repository, since merged into the Christian Leader. The first treasurer was Mrs. Charles Tufts, wife of the founder of Tufts College. We have not been able to ascertain the name of the first vice-president, or that of the first secretary. The following have been the successors of Mrs. Munroe in office: Mrs. Bradshaw, Mrs. Fuller, Mrs. Skinner, Mrs. Haven, Mrs. Carvill, Mrs. G. W. Ireland, Mrs. Ralph, Mrs. James Lombard, Miss Fannie Glines, Mrs. Eccles, Mrs. F. B.
opposite wall, and Mr. A. Hodgman's class the one of St. Cecilia. The good example set by these classes should be emulated by others, until our vestry walls are embellished by ten or more fine pictures. Our Sunday School may well take pride in the knowledge that at least five of its members have entered the Universalist ministry: Rev. E. H. Chapin, Rev. R. A. White, Rev. Leslie Moore, Rev. George F. Fortier, Rev. Gertrude A. Earle, the latter being one of the first women to graduate from Tufts Theological School, and be ordained to the Universalist ministry. The school to-day is modern in every sense. No effort is spared to make it the leading Universalist Sunday School in the Metropolitan district in training methods, as it already is in numbers. Stereopticon lectures reviewing the lesson are given several times during the year; a kindergarten class, with a trained teacher at its head, cares for the youngest scholars, while every effort along social lines is made to attract
ifteen to eighty years of age) would be held for the purpose of forming a religious society. In response to the call, about sixty persons gathered in the vestry, and after the plan had been explained by H. E. Robinson and H. R. Rose, students at Tufts Divinity School, it was voted to form a society; and committees were appointed to draw up a constitution, decide upon a name for the society, and bring in a list of names for officers. At the next meeting of the society, the name Young People', serving from June, 1889, to June, 1890. Her term of office was an exceedingly busy one. Aid was given the new societies at Cambridge and Arlington, leaders being supplied for their meetings at times. Money was given toward the scholarship at Tufts, founded by the Ladies' Society, toward the Bethany Home for Women, and toward the Japan Mission. On January 4, 1890, the society joined the national Y. P. C. U. Miss Mary E. Ferguson held the office of president for the next six months. As t
treet Sturtevant, Mrs. Lydia A.31 Warren Avenue Sturtevant, Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm .33 Warren Avenue Surrell, Mrs. Frances 59 Preston Road Sylvester, Mrs. Roscoe 28 Montrose Street Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. William 91 Glen Street Taylor, Miss Sarah D.39 Auburn Avenue Thayer, Mr. and Mrs. P. B. S.29 Gilman Street Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Frank,1047 Saratoga Street, East Boston Trickey, Mrs. E. A.10 Auburn Avenue Turner, Mrs. Frank12 Austin Street Twombly, Mrs. Susan F.19 Greenville Street Tufts, Mrs. Charlotte 85 Mt. Vernon Street Ulm, Mrs. Albert A.59 Preston Road Wait, Miss Lizzie22 Webster Street Warren, Mr. and Mrs. J. F.25 Dell Street Watt, Mr. and Mrs. Alex29 Warren Avenue Webster, Mr. and Mrs. Frank E.10 Pearson Avenue Weeks, Miss Grace E.32 Vinal Avenue Wellington, Mr. and Mrs. J. F.23 Summit Avenue Wellman, Mrs. E. F. 13 Hamlet Street Whipple, Miss H. J. 20 Prospect-hill Avenue Whitcher, Miss L. A. Hotel Woodbridge Whitney, Mrs. M. A.47 Mt. Vernon Street Whitne
1 2 3