Your search returned 62 results in 10 document sections:

at most patient of studies indebted to him, has written a History of the Gerrymander, 1892; Descendants of Thomas Deane, 1883; Memoir of Rev. Nathaniel Ward; Memoirs, Rev. Michael Wigglesworth; Hon. Daniel Messinger; Charles Wesley Tuttle, and with Hon. Daniel Messinger, The Messinger Family in Europe; and with Charles Wesley Tuttle, Capt. Francis Champernowne. David Henry Brown, a worker in genealogy, wrote Simon and Joan Clarke Stone and Three Generations of Their Descendants. James Madison Usher published the History of Medford, by the Rev. Charles Brooks, in 1855, and revised and enlarged it afterwards up to the year 1886. Edward Preston Usher wrote The Church's Attitude Towards Truth, 1907, and a memorial sketch of Roland Greene Usher, to which is added a genealogy of the Usher family in New England. Henry Grosvenor Cary wrote The Cary Family in England and the Cary Family in America. Thomas Brooks compiled the family record of Jonathan and Elizabeth Brooks. The w
his paternal grandfather, Amos Warren of Medford, at the age of six years, in 1820, and lived with him eight years. Amos Warren came from old Menotomy (then the west parish of Cambridge), now Arlington, in an early year of the century, and bought a small farm in the western part of Medford on the side of a hill, with an orchard of fifteen acres, and lived there until his death in 1831. It was doubtless the old home of the pious deacon John Whitmore on which the later residence of James M. Usher was built. Across the street was the old Bucknam house, in recent years removed, making room for the West Medford post-office, and the cottage of Captain Wyatt, which still remains as a reminder of those early days. The great Whitmore elm was then in its prime, and for sixty years thereafter. Whitmore brook flowed through the Warren farm, but had not then acquired its modern habit of taking a summer vacation. Some rods to the west was the Middlesex canal, but no railroad was dreamed
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., History told by names of streets. (search)
ng and Prescott are sentimental, reflecting the cultivated and literary taste of Rev. John Pierpont and Charles Brooks. Woburn street was, of course, the old Oborne rode of the early days. Warren street extends through the old farm of Amos Warren, and the newer Wyman street through the old Wyman estate. Gleason street adjoins the Gleason school, both named for Hon. Daniel A. Gleason of the school committee. Madison street was one of the later streets, and probably suggested by James Madison Usher, a namesake of President Madison. Usher road lies within the limits of his former estate, while Gorham, Clewley, Chardon and Wheelwright are those of relatives of the Brooks family, whose land they traverse. Century road was laid out in the closing year of the nineteenth century. Playstead road is self-evident, as it borders the playground. Chandler road, because of Frank E. Chandler's ownership, and Woods Edge road is on the edge of the wooded hill. Laurel and Vernon are probably
The Usher bridge. Usher bridge was named for James M. Usher. He was mainly instrumental in the laying out of the road from High street in Medford to Broadway in Arlington. I signed the petition to the county commissioners for the laying out of the road at Mr. Usher's request. It is that in Medford known as Harvard avenue. The abutments and central pier of the bridge were reinforced with concrete when the river was deepened a few years since by the Metropolitan Commission. J. H. H.
en. This plan was made in the last days of the canal's operation, which had ceased when the Walling map was made. In the records of the canal company is an allusion by its agent to a company of gentlemen who had laid out this adjoining territory into house-lots, which they called Brooklands, and a suggestion that the canal's property there might be disposed of to the proprietors of Brooklands. In the closing of the canal's affairs this strip with a portion beyond the river, was sold to J. M. Usher Of those park names Gorham was a family name (of Brooks), while Lake was appropriate, as a miniature lake or pond was shown therein. Conditions favored the same, as the writer has seen the springy ground there covered with flags and cat-tails. In Plan Book 8, Plan 1, 1855, is the same territory (see Register, Vol. I, p. 126), being the Fuller plan of Smith estate. Here we must good naturedly differ a little with His Honor, who styles it the present laying out. Fuller's plan was
nd wind-driven river of Boston bay. But perhaps someone asks, Why Mystic river? We reply, The river has nothing mystical or mysterious, and the name as spelled, Mystic, is a misnomer. It has come to be thus commonly spelled because of the identical sound of the letters i and y, and the dropping of the k, which in time was superfluous to the c which the English had introduced. (Note also Merrimack—Merrimac.) The ancient maps show it as Mistick and Medford river, but as late as 1885 Mr. Usher felt called upon to state, on page 18, History of Medford, More probably the fact that the current in this stream flows sometimes in one direction, and sometimes in the opposite, may have seemed, to those who first witnessed the phenomena, something mysterious, and have suggested the name. We venture the query, Was the Missi-tuk or Mistick any different from any other tidal stream? and add the above to our list of Medford myths. Incidentally we may add another recently told us—
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., Connecting link in Medford Church history. (search)
, in his brief History of Medford, is the only author that mentions it as a society under this caption, giving its meeting place, and names of four ministers. Mr. Usher (on page 276) in treating of the West Medford Congregational church, said, the Union was formed for the support of public religious worship; and preaching servic, but did not give the name of the preacher. This makes the date specific—December 1, 1867—agreeing as to the year with Mr. Hooper, but placing it earlier than Mr. Usher, who is correct in his statement that there was no church organization. As this Christian Union formed a connecting link between the earlier and later organizualities, who had been pastor of a Congregational church in Stratfield, Conn., but was just then engaged in journalism upon the Nation, published in Boston by James M. Usher. The latter, recognizing his ability, was instrumental in bringing him to West Medford. Mr. Usher, in the history above quoted, says truly of the Union, A
story, the Wood's mill of actual fact. In the first Medford Journal of 1857 there was no attempt at pictorial illustration, nor yet in the great blanket sheet of Usher's Medford Journal of 1871, that we can recall. No files were preserved by the publisher and only a few stray copies are known. In 1865 Mr. Nathan Brown of Wesed and a little later that of the division of the town. Two weekly papers were being published in town, indeed there had been for ten years, for just a year after Usher's venture with the Journal, A. B. Morss began the Chronicle in 1872. After three years of existence the Journal vanished, leaving the field alone to the Chronicleticle are very rare, especially those of the Brooks history, and wish that every reader of this might examine them at the Public Library, as also the later ones of Usher. Without doing so, we fear such will, like some early artists, draw on their imagination to know how the old town looked. Story of a Bible We are presenting
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Old ships and ship-building days of Medford. (search)
oods escaped without discovery, but the vesse was confiscated and condemned. Usher. History of Medford. Capt. Chas. C. Doten of Plymouth, during a northeast gambridge and other places. Among these were Samuel Hall, Elizur Wright and James M. Usher; also Galen James and Rev. Elihu Marvin, whose efforts were with the religittempt was made for a weekly paper in Medford. Just at the end of 1870, James Madison Usher of West Medford began the publication of a four-paged weekly. It was a was in his West Medford home. We have heard an editor of later years remark, Mr. Usher's office was in his hat. The Journal's first page was devoted to home readfter discontinued. No file of this Journal has as yet been discovered. If Mr. Usher preserved one, (which he said he did), it may have been destroyed in the burnlber (in the article to be alluded to) tells of four single publications by James M. Usher in 1889: The Reformer of April 22, the Advertiser of June 22, and the Middl
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Development of the business section of West Medford. (search)
by the erection of the new dwelling of James Madison Usher, who was born in the old Whitmore-UsherUsher home in 1814. This new house with its stable was shaded by many trees, enlarged in 1871, and waoperations then. In the winter of 1870-71 Mr. Usher had the roof of that one-story building (in a little store, notions, newspapers, etc. Mr. Usher had built a small two-story house at his san to Boston, having an order slate at Macy's. Mr. Usher next built another small store and upper roohouse painter came. In the summer of 1871 Mr. Usher branched out some more, building in the intehad not long been completed when he followed Mr. Usher's example and moved it across the then open or his teaming and express business. Next Mr. Usher (not to be outdone) enlarged his stable-store the first tenant's name was Drinkwater. Mr. Usher had quite an experience with varied tenants,ntent with smaller panes of double thick. Mr. Usher, in 1875, had a large dwelling, planned for [3 more...]