Your search returned 31 results in 10 document sections:

essors. Samuel Joyce, Henry Withington, John T. White,Overseers of the Poor. Benj. R. Teel, Alex. Gregg, Timothy Cotting,School Committee. Horatio A. Smith, Benj. R. Teel, Hosea Ballou, 2d, Henry Withington, J. M. Sanford, Chas. S. Jacobs, Alex. Gregg, Surveyor of Highways. John T. White,Constables. Elisha Tolman, Amos Hemphill, John T. White, Collector of Taxes. Eleazer Davis,Field Drivers. Willard Butters, Thos. Gillard, Pyam Cushing,Fence Viewers. Peter C. Hall, Nathan W. Wait, John T. White,Fish Committee. Amos Hemphill, Elbridge Teel, Henry H. Jacquith, Pound Keeper. John Sparrell,Surveyors of Lumber. Jas. O. Curtis, J. T. Foster, E. Stetson, J. Loring, S. Lapham, O. Joyce, J. Stetson, J. Taylor, P. Curtis, P. Cushing, E. Hayden, G. T. Goodwin, A. Hutchens, R. E. Ells, H. Taylor, C. S. Jacobs, B. R. Teel, E. Waterman, J. Sanborn, T. T. Fowler, J. Clapp, B. H. Samson, Expenses. The first book kept by the Treasurer is lost.
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Massachusetts in the Army and Navy during the war of 1861-1865, vol. 2, I. List of officers from Massachusetts in United States Navy, 1861 to 1865. (search)
h, Henry M.,Mass.Mass.Mass.Dec. 8/64.Actg. Master's Mate.Lenapee; Chkopee.North Atlantic.July 5, 1865.Deserted.Mate. Wain wright, Jonathan M., Killed in action at Galveston.N. Y.Mass.Mass.—--1861.Lieutenant.Harriet Lane.West Gulf.Jan. 1, 1863.Deceased.Lieut.-Comdr. July 16, 1862.Lieut.-Comdr. Wainwright, Joseph H.,Bermuda.Mass.Mass.Apr. 4, 1862.Actg. Master's Mate.J. P. Jackson; Conemaugh; Buckthorne.West Gulf.Apr. 9, 1866.Hon. discharged.Actg. Ensign. May 20, 1864.Actg. Ensign. Wait, Nathan W., Credit, Palmer.Mass.Mass.Mass.Apr. 4, 1862.Actg. Master's Mate.Commodore McDonough; Alabama; Sangamon; Pawnee.North Atlantic.Nov. 19,65.Hon. discharged.Actg. Ensign. Sept. 9, 1863.Actg. Ensign.Gemsbok.West India. Walcott, Henry O.,Mass.Mass.Mass.Feb. 9, 1864.Actg. 2d Asst. Engr.Cherokee.East Gulf.Dec. 19, 1864.Appointment revoked.Actg. 2d Asst. Engr. Waldemar, Charles F., Died at Naval Hospital, New Orleans.Sweden.Mass.Mass.June 7, 1864.Actg. Ensign.-Mississippi.Oct. 22, 186
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Massachusetts in the Army and Navy during the war of 1861-1865, vol. 2, Index of names of persons. (search)
enry, 482 Voorhecs, L. D. D., 146 Vose, E. J., 364 Vose, J. H., 364 W. Wachter, Philip, 365 Wade, C. J., 365 Wade, H. C., 148 Wade, J. H., 365 Wade, J. M., 148 Wade, J. P., 365 Wade, T. F., 148 Wade, W. H., 365 Wadleigh, G. A., 365 Wadsworth, Benjamin, 496 Wadsworth, E. L., 450 Wadsworth, H. M., 148 Wadsworth, O. F., 390, 562 Wageley, Louis, 365 Wagner, G. T., 365 Wainwright, J. M., 148 Wainwright, J. M., 148 Wainwright, R. A., 450, 562 Wainwright, S. A., 450 Wait, N. W., 148 Waitt, O. W., 365 Walch, J. A., 365 Walcott, A. W., 482 Walcott, Aaron F., 356 Walcott, Alfred F., 365 Walcott, C. F., 198, 231, 450, 562, 607, 728 Walcott, Edward, 450 Walcott, H. O., 148 Walcott, J. H., 365 Walcott, W. H., 451, 562 Waldemar, C. F., 148 Walden, C. C., 148 Waldock, James, 390 Wales, Atherton, 584 Wales, B. R., 365 Wales, H. F., 365 Wales, Nathaniel, 231, 562, 728 Wales, Sigourney, 231 Wales, T. B., Jr., 365 Wales, T. C., 584 Wales, T. C., Mrs.,
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., Dedication of memorial tablet to Sarah (Bradlee) Fulton. (search)
ion, the Chapter hoped to erect a tablet to her memory. On May twenty-sixth, nineteen hundred, this desire was granted and the dedication took place. With the hum of electric cars on one side and the puffing of locomotives on the other, how different the company gathered on that spring afternoon from the one that stood before that tomb in the village quiet of 1835! Two persons were present on both occasions, Mrs. Susan (Smith) Wait and her son Francis A. Wait, the former the widow of Nathan W. Wait, grandson of Mrs. Fulton. The State Regent of Massachusetts, and the regents of twenty chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution, came to honor the patriot woman. Descendants of Mrs. Fulton, representing the fourth, fifth, and sixth generations, were present. Only one of the third generation was living, Mr. John A. Fulton, of Cambridge, whom infirmity prevented from being present. Residents of Medford, and the members of Sarah Bradlee Fulton Chapter, stood around, and as t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Lawrence Light Guard.—Continued. (search)
lived at the corner of Salem and Fulton streets. Opposite the Gregg estate, on the east side of Main street, next to the river, was the blacksmith shop of Nathan W. Wait, which, strangely enough, was about the only building in the neighborhood which was not consumed on the memorable night of November 2, 1850. Mr. Wait succeedeMr. Wait succeeded his father, Nathan Wait, who started the business on the same spot in 1783. The property remained in the family until taken by the Metropolitan Park Commission, in 1901. Mr. Wait's dwelling house was next south of his shop. He went into it in 1826. After it was burned, he built the house now standing on the site. The neMr. Wait's dwelling house was next south of his shop. He went into it in 1826. After it was burned, he built the house now standing on the site. The next building was occupied by William S. Barker grocer, and Leonard Johnson, dealer in grain and meal on the lower floor. James Hyde, painter, occupied the second floor. There were two long oat troughs at the side of the street for feeding horses. The drivers could get gingerbread, crackers, cheese, and beer in the store while t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Baptist Church of Medford. (search)
ine were destroyed with the stable. Next to the Gregg estate was Timothy Cotting's house, blacksmith shop and two stables, totally destroyed. Mr. Nathan Barker occupied part of the dwelling. Mr. George Lynne's Symmes. house, blacksmith shop and stable came next and were also destroyed. The Misses Tufts' dwelling and Richard Tufts' wheelwright shop on the same side were also laid in ashes. On the opposite side of Main street the fire commenced at the bridge with the dwelling of Nathan W. Wait, and swept down Daniel Lawrence's store and dwelling house Jas. Hyde's dwelling and store, Elias Tufts' wheelwright shop and dwelling, George E. Willis' tinware shop and dwelling, Mitchell's barber shop and dwelling, Benj. Parker's dwelling and stable, Moses Merrill and Son's paint shop, and Hartshorn's harness shop (all in one building). A ten-footer, occupied by an Irish family and three stables, were all totally destroyed. The conflagration swept on before a strong northwest wind u
ises, on Union and Main street to the Sparrell estate. The three dwelling houses next south of the police station, and others in the rear, are on land which was Mr. Wait's orchard. Mr. Wait's shop was near Cradock bridge; he carried on business there for fifty years. Brooks' history accords him the honor of being the first to reMr. Wait's shop was near Cradock bridge; he carried on business there for fifty years. Brooks' history accords him the honor of being the first to rescue a fugitive slave in the United States. He died in Medford, January 5, 1840. Jonathan Perkins, who married Nathan Wait's daughter, built, lived and died in the third house from the police station. It was the first dwelling built in Mr. Wait's orchard. John Sparrell, ship builder, surveyor of land, wood and lumber, and geneMr. Wait's orchard. John Sparrell, ship builder, surveyor of land, wood and lumber, and general business man, owned the next lot. His house is still in the possession of his family, and is known as No. 104 Main street. Captain Sparrell died March 29, 1876. Next south stands the house which in 1835 was the home of Benjamin Pratt, mason. These three estates, with gardens and orchards extending to Union street, were ve
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The Bradburys of Medford and their ancestry. (search)
; Charlotte Fitz, widow of Gilbert Tufts, living in Charlestown; Charlotte and Kate Walker of the same place. Charlotte married James G. Foster, who taught in the brick school back of the meeting-house (First Parish), July, 1838, to April, 1840. Ellen Blanchard; Helen Dudley, both little girls; Morgianna Bancroft; Miss Field; Carrie Stone, a relative of the Bradbury's, who married the father of Miss Field, and is living in Dorchester; Lydia M. Smith of Winchester, sister of the late Mrs. Nathan W. Wait of Medford; several young ladies from Cambridge, one of whom was the mother of our late Gov. William E. Russell; Mary Utley, and after the burning of the Ursuline Convent, August 1, 1834, her sister Abbie, who had been there, came here to school; Anna and Maria Wells, whose father, Charles Wells, was Mayor of Boston, 1832 and 1833; Miss Smith of Weston; Miss Parker of Boston; Harriet Bacon of Winchester; Pamelia Symmes; Susan Revere, and Susan Floyd, a relative of the family. Lydi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The first Methodist Episcopal Church of Medford. (search)
oners, and reached Medford only to die); Antipas Newton, Jr.; Austin F. Clark; Charles Ellis; George A. Newcomb; Rodney Hathaway and Nelson Hathaway. Mr. Ames was followed by Revs. Henry M. Loud, David Sherman, D. D., and Daniel Wait. During Mr. Wait's ministry a revival occurred which spread through the town, embracing all the evangelical churches. During this pastorate, also, the church lost by death three of its most valued members—Joseph L. Goldthwait, Albert Butters and Ira T. Barker. In 1869 Rev. N. T. Whitaker followed Mr. Wait. That year the society purchased a house on the corner of Salem and Park streets for a parsonage, but retained it only two years when the new church enterprise demanded all available funds. In 1869 a new board of trustees was incorporated according to the General Statutes of the Commonwealth. On July 1, 1871, land for a new church was bought on Salem street near Cross street, and the work of building was entered upon at once. The building comm
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The pump in the market place; and other water supplies of Medford, old and modern. (search)
e of men whose lives were a part of Medford's history, and some were known personally by many living today: William Bradbury, Timothy Dexter, Nathan Wait, Daniel Symmes, Darius Wait, John T. Cram, William A. Egery, Thomas Pratt, Oakman Joyce, Nathan W. Wait, Benjamin Moore and R. G. Pinkham. Timothy Dexter's name occurs most frequently as having had bills approved for repairing the pumps. The Waits and Symmeses were blacksmiths; Thomas Pratt, Oakman Joyce, R. G. Pinkham were carpenters. Thethan Wait, Sr., Joseph P. Hall and Ebenezer Williams, Sr. The next year two were appointed, and May I, 1843, we find the selectmen attending to the matter, when Samuel Blanchard was the appointee. His successors in office were John T. White, Nathan W. Wait, Thomas D. Rice, Timothy Rich, Stephen H. Bradlee, Isaac Sprague, Edward P. Alexander, Silas F. Wild, William A. Egery. The clerk also acted as police officer and was elected annually, later for a period of three months at a time, with ins