Your search returned 10 results in 6 document sections:

Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Additional Sketches Illustrating the services of officers and Privates and patriotic citizens of South Carolina. (search)
, of Anderson county, S. C., and they have six children. Major John Johnson, former major of engineers in the Confederate States service, and widely known as the author of the valuable historical work, The Defense of Charleston Harbor, is a native of Charleston, born in 1829. He was educated until he reached the age of sixteen years, at Charleston. He then desired to enter the United States navy; but not succeeding, engaged in civil engineering for ten years, and was associated with George E. Walker in preparing a map of the State. After this he devoted two years to study at the university of Virginia, won the first gold medal offered by the college magazine for an essay, and made the valedictory address before the Jefferson society. In 1859 he began at Camden a course of study for the ministry, but the crisis of 1860-61 diverted him from this occupation and brought into use his training as an engineer. As a volunteer engineer in the State service he was present at the firing up
C. S. District Court. --The Confederate States Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, (Judge Halyburton presiding,) again convened yesterday at the State Court-House. James P. Oliver, an infant, under 18 years of age, was discharged, under writ of habeas corpus, from military service. The case of Thomas Kinney, suing under writ of habeas corpus for discharge from the army, was continued till Thursday. John S. Newton, also petitioning for discharge from military service, on account of being a shoemaker, was heard, and the Court took till to-day to decide in the matter. The petitioner was admitted to bail. The habeas corpus case of Whitfield W. Phillips, suing for discharge from military service, was partly heard and continued till to-day. The injunction of the Roanoke Valley Railroad Company against Col. C. F. M. Garnett and George E. Walker, was continued till to-day.
City Council --The Council met in called session yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock, at the City Hall. Present: Messrs. Saunders, (President,) Stokes, Scott, Burr, Denoon, Walker, Eppes, and Clopton. The proceedings of the last meeting were read and approved. The President announced that the Council had been called together at the request of the chairman of the Committee on Finance, who had a report to submit. Mr. Burr, chairman of said committee, then arose and stated that he had prepared a report which he desired to submit, but as there was no other member of the committee present he did not feel justified in presenting the report on this occasion, and would therefore postpone it. Mr. Saunders stated that his attention had been called to a subject pending before the Committee on Arms, of which he was chairman, and he was greatly desirous that it should be disposed of. A complaint had been received from fifteen members of Capt. Miles G. Macon's company that th
C. S. District Court. --This Court assembled in the State Court House yesterday morning pursuant to adjournment. The case of the Roanoke Valley Railroad against Col. C. F. M. Garnett and Capt. Geo. E. Walker was partly heard and continued until Thursday. The petition of John S. Horton, under a writ of habeas corpus, for discharge from military service, on account of his being a shoemaker, was granted, and he was released from custody. Westfield W. Phillips, petition for a discharge from Col. Robins's command, in order that he may be enabled to connect himself with some Tennessee command, was partially heard yesterday, and its further consideration postponed until this morning. The habeas corpus case of A. J. Pitts, who claims exemption from military service, was partially examined into yesterday, and postponed for further consideration till Friday. The Court then adjourned till 11 o'clock this morning.
emed surprised at the idea of being checked, contemplating a triumphant entrance into Atlanta. On Saturday, the 19th, the two contending armies confronted each other in battle array. Our line extended from Reed's bridge to Lee & Gordon's mills, a distance of between seven and ten miles, over a rugged, barren country of hill and dale. Between 8 and 9 o'clock A. M. the battle opened on our right, in the course of an hour the firing because heavy and rapid, the batteries of Forrest's and Walker's divisions, and the reserve, Capt. Lumsden's battery, in command of Major Palmer, Chief of Artillery, keeping up a perfect roar of fire, which was fully returned by the enemy. The lines of both armies moved to and fro like the advancing and receding waves of the sea. Cheatham's division soon became under fire, with its artillery under command of Major Melauthon Smith. The fight was kept up with varied success, when the gallant division of General Cleburne charged the enemy after dark, by
C. S. District Court. --Judge Halyburton's Court was again in session Saturday. The petition of J. C. Ritterhouse, asking to be discharged from Capt. Hayward's company, was granted, and the petitioner discharged from custody. The argument in the case of the Roanoke Valley Railroad Company against Col. C. F. M. Garnett and Capt George E. Walker, was partly heard and its further disposition postponed. The Judge will announce his decision on the petition of Thomas E. Kinney, praying to be discharged from military service, on Monday.