Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for John G. Walker or search for John G. Walker in all documents.

Your search returned 13 results in 9 document sections:

n car. The shot was evidently intended for him. The train was stopped as soon as possible, and the companies were divided to scour the woods, and search the neighboring farm-houses, etc., to make a circuit of a mile. Two men were arrested, named Walker and McMills, in the house of the latter. All the evidence that could be obtained, tended towards criminating Walker, who, with the other prisoner and a negro witness, was brought to Alexandria. The train was within three miles of 900 rebel troods, and search the neighboring farm-houses, etc., to make a circuit of a mile. Two men were arrested, named Walker and McMills, in the house of the latter. All the evidence that could be obtained, tended towards criminating Walker, who, with the other prisoner and a negro witness, was brought to Alexandria. The train was within three miles of 900 rebel troops, and six miles of Fairfax Court House, where, it is understood, there are 2,500 troops, besides recent arrivals.--N. Y. Times, June 17.
News, where they shelled the camp of the Second Louisiana regiment, completely destroying it, and causing much havoc among the rebels.--(Doc. 184.) The Second regiment of cavalry N. Y. S. V., Black horse cavalry, under the command of Colonel A. J. Morrison, left Camp Strong, near Troy, for the seat of war. Previous to their departure the troops were presented with an elegant stand of colors. Col. Morrison is an officer of considerable military experience. He served in the Mexican war, in the expeditions of Lopez and Walker, and with Garibaldi in Italy. On his return to the United States he was authorized to raise a regiment of cavalry, which he has designated the Black horse cavalry, and which is now the second regiment of volunteer cavalry of New York. Fort Pickens opened fire upon the rebel steamer Time, just as she entered the Navy yard at Warrington, Fla., and was answered by the rebels at Forts Barrancas and McRae. The firing continued upon both sides nearly all day.
Fort McRae, the hospital, and navy-yard were destroyed. The barracks were saved, as were also the foundry and black-smith shop in the navy-yard.--(Doc. 13.) This morning, a company of rebel cavalry, one hundred strong, under command of Captain Walker, made a dash on Washington, N. C., with the avowed purpose of capturing all the Federal officers, and suddenly returning before the gunboats could open upon them. But the pickets heard them approaching, and several of them united their squads, and poured a raking fire into them, killing Captain Walker and five men, besides wounding several others. The cavalry immediately retreated without effecting their purpose. None of the Union troops were injured. The pickets engaged were from company A, Captain Redding, Twenty-fourth Massachusetts. While this affray was going on, some secessionists assassinated two recruits for the First regiment North-Carolina volunteers, in another part of the town, and beat their brains out.--Newbern
May 11. The jayhawker Cleveland, whose band of robbers had infested Northern Kansas for some months past, was arrested at Ossawatomie by Lieut. Walker and ten men of the Kansas Sixth. Cleveland broke away from the guard, and was killed while attempting to escape. One of his band named Barbour, was arrested at the same time, and taken to Fort Leavenworth for safe keeping. Craney Island, Va., was abandoned by the rebels yesterday, and to-day the National forces took possession of the fortifications and raised the flag of the United States. One hundred and forty of Morgan's cavalry at noon to-day captured forty-eight freight and four passenger-cars and two locomotives at Cave City, Ky. Morgan supposed the train would contain two hundred and eighty cavalry prisoners, bound northward. The operator at Cave City, however, gave notice of these facts to Bowling Green, and stopped the upward train. Among the captured Nationals were Majors Helveti and Coffee, both of Wolford
of sixteen of their number, with about two hundred head of cattle which the rebels were driving to their camp.--(Doc. 18.) Early this morning a force of Union troops under the command of Major Keenan, Eighth Pennsylvania cavalry, left Purcellsville, Va., on a reconnoitring expedition. They passed through Berrysville, Snickersville, and Philomont. On arriving at Union they found that town occupied by a battalion of Georgia cavalry, whom they drove out. Here it was ascertained that General Walker, in command of a force of South-Carolina troops, was in position five miles from Middleburgh. Major Keenan also found about a hundred wounded rebel soldiers, all of whom he paroled, and learned that General Longstreet was in command of the rebel forces near Upperville. He next proceeded to Aldie, in the vicinity of which place he unexpectedly came upon a detachment of the First Michigan cavalry, sent out by General Sigel from his command near Centreville. Major Keenan then returned to
N. C., yesterday, surrendered themselves to the rebels, under Colonel Lamb, this day. The naval expedition up the White River, Ark., under the command of John G. Walker, of the gunboat Baron DeKalb, landed at Duvall's Bluff, meeting with no resistance, and captured two eight-inch guns and carriages, two hundred stands of arms with their accoutrements, and three platform cars, upon which the guns were being hoisted, when the rebels took the alarm and fled. Lieutenant Walker also captured seven prisoners. He then retired, leaving the place in the charge of the troops under General Gorman, who arrived shortly after the captures were made.--Lieutenant WaLieutenant Walker's Report. The funeral of Major-General O. M. Mitchel took place at Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, N. Y., this day.--The English sloop Brave, from Nassau. N. P., was captured by the gunboat Octorora.--An enthusiastic Union meeting was held at New Orleans, La., at which speeches were made by Thomas J. Durant, and others, and r
January 17. Major-General Joseph E. Johnston, of the rebel army, issued a general order modifying a previous order issued from his Headquarters, in relation to unauthorized absentees belonging to the departments of Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, so as to grant them a full pardon provided they should return to their proper commands by the twelfth of February.--Jackson Mississippian. Des Arc, Ark., was taken possession of without opposition by Captain Walker of the gunboat De Kalb, and a regiment of infantry commanded by Colonel Spicely of the Twenty-fourth regiment of Indiana volunteers.--A skirmish took place at Pollocksville, N. C., resulting in the flight of the rebels and the occupation of the town by the National troops.--At Liverpool, England, an antislavery conference took place, at which Mr. Spence, a sympathizer with the rebel government, attempted to resuscitate the argument that slavery could be supported on Scriptural grounds, but he was refused
the evil. Large sums were invested in flour, corn, bacon, and other articles of prime necessity, to the monopoly almost of such articles in certain sections of the country; and that they were withheld from market, or were exported beyond the limits of the State, to the great enhancement of prices, and to the manifest injury of the consumer. He therefore recommended the passage of an act to arrest the purchase and monopoly of articles of prime necessity, even when it was not intended to export them beyond the limits of the State.--(Doc. 157.) Captain J. J. Worthington, with two companies of the First regiment of loyal Arkansas cavalry, returned to Fayetteville, Ark., from a scout in Carroll County, in that State. He had four skirmishes with the rebels, and succeeded in killing twenty-two and taking seven prisoners. Captains Smith and McFarland of the rebels were killed, and Captain Walker was taken prisoner. The National casualty was one man wounded.--General Curtis's Despatch.
combined naval and military National force. Rear-Admiral D. D. Porter, hearing that General Johnston was fortifying the place and gathering troops there for the purpose of obtaining supplies for his army from the Yazoo country, and that the remainder of the rebels' best transports were there, consulted with Major-General Grant, and determined to send an expedition to capture and destroy them. The Baron de Kalb, National, Renwood, and Signal, were despatched, under command of Lieutenant Commander John G. Walker, with a force of troops, numbering five thousand, under Major-General Frank J. Herron. Pushing up to the city, the Baron de Kalb engaged the batteries, which were all prepared to receive her, and after finding out their strength dropped back to notify General Herron, who immediately landed his men, and the army and navy made a combined attack on the enemy's works. The rebels soon fled, leaving every thing in the possession of the Nationals, and set fire to four of their fine