Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Max Weber or search for Max Weber in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 7 document sections:

June 13. By proclamation of Jefferson Davis, this day was observed as a fast-day throughout the States in rebellion against the U. S. Government.--N. Y. Times, June 2. The United Turner Rifles, Twentieth Regiment N. Y. S. V., Colonel Max Weber, left New York for Fortress Monroe and the army of Southeastern Virginia. In their march through the city they were drawn up in front of the City Hall, where a flag was presented to them by Samuel B. Ruggles, in behalf of Mrs. Charles E. Strong and other ladies of New York.--(Doc. 248.) Bpigadier-General Schenck has been assigned to the Second Michigan Regiment now in Washington. He is thus attached to the Military Department of Washington, the chief of which is General Mansfield.-Conflicting statements having been made, it is proper to say-while Major-General Banks superseded General Cadwalader in command of the Department at Annapolis, the latter has been assigned to command a new division to cooperate with General Patterson
nion troops, consisting of eight hundred men, were fired into at that point, as they came up in a train of cars, and an engagement at once ensued. The number of the rebels is not known, but seven of their number were killed and several taken prisoners.--N. Y. Herald, July 18. The Third Massachusetts Regiment sails from Fortress Monroe for Boston this evening in the Steamer Cambridge. They were reviewed by General Butler to-day.--The Sixth Massachusetts Regiment follows to-morrow.--Col. Max Weber's and Col. Baker's Regiments were to occupy Hampton, but the plan has been somewhat changed.--Brigadier-General Pierce returns with the Massachusetts Regiments.--Col. Duryea will be acting Brigadier-General in Hampton.--Several companies went out from Newport News last night to surprise, if possible, a body of light horse, which have for some time hovered in the vicinity.--National Intelligencer, July 18. In the House of Representatives at Washington, the Committee on Commerce, in r
f 7,000 men, including 200 cavalry and eight pieces of artillery, viz., three Parrott guns, four howitzers, and one rifled cannon, took up a position on Back River, three miles from Hampton, Virginia. The intention was to draw out the national forces, attack Camp Hamilton or Newport News if practicable, and at least to destroy Hampton, so as to prevent its use by the U. S. troops for winter-quarters. Gen. Butler at once repaired to Hampton Bridge, where he remained until 11 o'clock P. M. Col. Weber erected a barricade near the Hampton end of the bridge, and placed a strong guard at various points near. A few minutes past midnight, Gen. Magruder, with about 500 Confederates--some of them belonging in Hampton-entered the town, and immediately fired the buildings with torches. A greater part of the five hundred houses were built of wood, and no rain having fallen lately, the strong south wind soon produced a terrible conflagration. There were perhaps twenty white people and double
impressive.--N. Y. Times, November 12. A Grand torch-light procession, in honor of General McClellan, took place at Washington. The entertainment was planned by General Blenker's division. The procession, after passing the President's house, halted at that of General McClellan, and serenaded the General. Speeches were delivered by Secretary Cameron, Mr. Seward, and Gen. Blenker, after which the procession moved through the city and across the Potomac.--A reconnaissance was made by Col. Weber in the direction of New Market bridge, near Fortress Monroe. The rebels were met in some force, but were compelled to retire with a loss of two killed and several wounded.--N. Y. Commercial, November 13. The Fifty-second N. Y. regiment, Col. Paul Frank, left its encampment on Staten Island, and proceeded to Amboy on its way to Washington. The regiment numbers nearly a thousand men, all of whom are thoroughly uniformed, armed, and equipped.--N. Y. Times, Nov. 12. Within the last
ered a considerable body of rebel cavalry, who were accompanied by two field-howitzers, brass rifled pieces, and the first intimation the Delawarians had of the enemy's position on near approach, was the whistling of a projectile through the woods and underbrush. Captain Watson then threw up a temporary defence of brushwood and earth, after advancing to an eligible position, and sent back for reinforcements. General Mansfield, accompanied by three companies of the New York Twentieth, Col. Max Weber, proceeded to the relief of the Delaware troops. A flag of truce from Norfolk to-day brought to Fortress Monroe, Va., Lieut. Worden, U. S. N., who was taken prisoner while bearing despatches to Fort Pickens at the breaking out of hostilities, and imprisoned at Montgomery, Alabama, for some time. He was exchanged for Lieut. Short, of the rebel army, who was taken at Hatteras Inlet, and had been confined on the frigate Congress at Newport News.--National Intelligencer, Nov. 21.
enty minutes soon discovered the presence of the rebels, who consisted of cavalry, supported by infantry. Seeing no chance of successfully competing with such a force, they retreated in good order toward their works; but, being reinforced by Col. Max Weber's New York infantry, again advanced, when a sharp engagement took place. The rebel infantry discharged several volleys at the Federals, but at such distance that only five of Col. Weber's command were wounded. At two o'clock in the afternooCol. Weber's command were wounded. At two o'clock in the afternoon both parties retired.--(Doc. 237.) An account of various hostile operations between the rebel and National forces on opposite banks of the Potomac, near Williamsport, Md., was published to-day.--(Doc. 236.) At St. Louis, Mo., Gen. Halleck issued an order, in which he says that any one caught in the act of burning bridges and destroying railroads and telegraphs, will be immediately shot, and that any one accused of the crime will be tried by a military commission, and if found guilty,
Payne, and a fellow belonging to Price's army named Jew Davy, and four others, whose names are not known. John Kincade helped to burn Salt River bridge and tank, and said the bridge should be burned down as often as built up.--Hannibal Messenger. A scouting party, about seven or eight hundred strong, consisting of six companies of the Coast Guard, six companies of the Twentieth New York regiment, and three companies of Harlan's Cavalry, left Camp Hamilton, under command of Acting Brigadier-General Weber, accompanied by Majors Vegesack and Carling, of Gen. Wool's staff. About two miles beyond Little Bethel, the infantry halted, and the cavalry proceeded toward Big Bethel, and six miles east of that place met the mounted picket, which was driven in. The cavalry gave chase, but were unable to overtake them. On arriving at Big Bethel the place appeared to have been deserted, and careful examination showed that to be the case. It had apparently been occupied by three or four thous