how that his education was far superior to theirs.
There are very few errors in spelling, and in this respect he equalled some of our perhaps better educated clerks of the present day. William Willis succeeded him for two years, followed by Benjamin Willis, who was clerk from 1721 to 1726, when William Willis again filled the position for two years. Ebenezer Brooks, Jr., was elected in 1728, and at the March meeting of 1729 was re-elected.
There arose a dispute as to the legality of this meethole being signed by William Dudley, Speaker, Josiah Willard, Sectry.
Apparently they had political troubles in the good Old Colony Times when we lived under the King.
The result of this meeting was the election, among other officers, of Benjamin Willis as town clerk, and it is his writing that appears in the remainder of the book.
More than half of the pages of the book are used in the lists of the taxes levied for various purposes.
It was the custom whenever a town meeting was held and
Impowered to Do what they may Judg will be most for the Towns Advantage in building a small House on the Farm or by other ways Desposing by Leting out the said farm for a Term or other wayes as may be for the towns interest
At this time fifteen pounds were appropriated.
On March 15, 1741-2, the same committee were given further power as to the Town Farm, inasmuch as it has now fallen into the province of Hamp shier.
Ten pounds were appropriated, and Benjamin Parker and Benjamin Willis added to the committee.
There is an indication of the boundary controversy, based on the three miles north of the Merrimack, in the charter given by King Charles. Massachusetts had claimed and had placed a boundary stone in the bed of Winnepesaukee river as the three-mile north limit from which the westward to the South Sea line was to extend.
The stone, with the initials of governor and commissioners, is there today under a granite canopy recently erected by the state of New Hampsh