Your search returned 128 results in 32 document sections:

1 2 3 4
e, slightly; Thos. Griffin, landsman, severely; John Willoughby, ordinary seaman; John Chase, seaman, slightly; E. Blanchard, ordinary seaman, severely; J. R. Sanders, marine, contusion; Mr. Wells, seaman, contusion; Robert Hamson, ordinary seaman, contusion; J. Hassett, landsman, contusion; G. Coventry, gunner, contusion; L. Killion, marine, slightly; Cornelius Martin, ordinary seaman, probably mortally; James H. Powell, ordinary seaman, slightly; H. O. Buskin, ordinary seaman, severely; John Willis, ordinary seaman, severely; John Daurin, landsman, slightly; James Welbey, captain of the mizzen-top, severely; Alexander Anderson, landsman, severely; James Black, Quartermaster, slightly; Joseph----, seaman, slightly; John Griffith; James Williams, captain of the main-top, slightly. Total, twenty-six. On the Pensacola — John Ryan, Quartermaster, mortally; George Mowry, Quartermaster, mortally; Jonathan Roberts, ordinary seaman, severely; Michael McKeene, landsman, severely; Gustavus
ept it in good repair; and, recently, it has been rebuilt, and is now wide and strong. Its support devolves on Medford and West Cambridge. Gravelly Bridge, so called, was first built by Mr. Cradock's men probably, and was the usual route for all the travel between the east and west parts of the town. It was very low, narrow, and slender at first, and received frequent repairs. April 27, 1716, put to vote whether Dea. Thomas Willis, John Whitmore, Jonathan Tufts, Ebenezer Brooks, and John Willis, shall view and consider what method may be most proper for the repairing of Gravelly Bridge, and what may be the cost thereof, and make report to said town at their next town-meeting. Voted in the affirmative. June 11, 1716: Voted £ 5 to be raised for the repairing their meeting-house and mending Gravelly Bridge. The bridge over Gravelly Creek, in Ship Street, was built by a few Medford persons, in 1746, for the purpose of making a road to the tide-mill. March 4, 1751: Voted to b
niel Wade1703. Peter Tufts1705. Nathaniel Wade1706. Stephen Francis1707. Stephen Willis1708. John Francis1709. Ebenezer Brooks1710. John Bradshaw1711. John Whitmore1712. Thomas Willis1713. Stephen Willis1714. Jonathan Tufts1715. Samuel Wade1717. Thomas Tufts1718. John Bradshaw1719. Jonathan Tufts1721. John Bradshaw1722. Thomas Tufts1723. Ebenezer Brooks1724. John Bradshaw1725. Ebenezer Brooks1726. Stephen Hall1730. Thomas Hall1732. John Hall1733. Stephen Hall1734. John Willis1736. John Hall1737. Benjamin Willis1738. John Hall1739. Benjamin Willis1740. Simon Tufts1742. John Hall1743. Benjamin Willis1744. Samuel Brooks1745. Benjamin Willis1746. Jonathan Watson1749. Samuel Brooks1750. Isaac Royal1755. Zachariah Poole1762. Isaac Royal1763. Stephen Hall1764. Isaac Royal1765. Benjamin Hall1773. Willis Hall1785. Thomas Brooks1788. Willis Hall1789. Ebenezer Hall1790. Richard Hall1794. John Brooks1796. Ebenezer Hall1798. John Brooks1803. Caleb
ing, as they show us the ideas and conduct of our fathers. April 26, 1730: Mr. Turell preached a sensible and timely discourse in favor of inoculation for the smallpox. Aug. 7, 1730: Catechism day, Friday, Mr. Turell preached a sermon to the children, after he had questioned each one from the catechism. This annual exercise, or rather annual fright, served to recommend religion to the young much as a dose of medicine foreshadowed health. March 5, 1739: Captain Ebenezer Brooks, Mr. John Willis, and Mr. Jonathan Watson, chosen a Committee to report what is necessary to be done to Mr. Turell's fences. When the Rev. George Whitefield, of England, came to this country, as a missionary of the cross, to wake up the dead churches, and pour the breath of life into the clergy, he spoke as one who had authority to blow the trumpet of doom. He returned to England, in 1741, for a visit, but left behind him followers who had neither his wisdom, nor his eloquence, nor his piety. Again
-gift of Mr. David Bucknam, 1824. One antique silver cup; donor and date unknown. One silver spoon; Two silver cans,--gift of Turell Tufts, Esq., 1842. Previously to 1759, there were the following:-- One pewter flagon,--gift of Hon. John Usher. One pewter flagon,--gift of Deacon John Whitmore. Four pewter flagon, bought by the church. Two pewter dishes,--gift of Thomas Tufts, Esq.; and two pewter ones, bought by the church. One silver baptismal basin,--gift of Mr. John Willis, 1755. Colonel Royal gave a silver cup to the church in Medford; but, he being an absentee, suspected of not liking the Amercan revolution, his agent could not deliver the cup without legislative authority. The following public document will sufficiently explain itself:-- Commonwealth of Massachusetts.in Senate, Oct. 26, 1781. On the petition of David Osgood, pastor of the church of Christ in Medford, in behalf of said church:-- Resolved, That, for the reason therein m
llis, John Francis, John Whitmore, John Bradshoe, Jonathan Tufts, John Hall, jun., Nathaniel Hall, Stephen Hall, sen., John Willis, Stephen Hall, Percival Hall, Ebenezer Brooks. Twelve shillings were subscribed by Eleazer Wier and Nathaniel Waite, eeting; and also, it being contrary to a former vote of the town. John Bradshaw, Selectmen. Thomas Tufts, Selectmen. John Willis. John Richardson. Benjamin Willis. Benjamin Parker. John Bradshaw, jun. Nathaniel Hall. John Grattan. Jonathan se were Thomas Tufts, Esq., Captain Ebenezer Brooks, Mr. Peter Seccombe, Mr. John Richardson, Captain Samuel Brooks, Mr. John Willis, Mr. William Willis, Lieutenant Stephen Hall, Mr. John Francis, Mr. Benjamin Parker, and Mr. John Whitmore. They reSamuel Brooks, Lieutenant Stephen Hall, Mr. Peter Seccombe, Thomas Tufts, Esq., Captain Samuel Wade, Francis Whitmore, John Willis, Mr. John Whitmore, Mr. John Richardson, William Willis, Mr. Jonathan Hall, Mr. Peter Tufts, Deacon Thomas Hall, Mr. B
s touching its origin. Articles of agreement were concluded, Feb. 20, 1746, between Richard Sprague, cooper, Samuel Page, yeoman, Simon Tufts, Esq., physician, John Willis, yeoman, Stephen Hall, trader, Stephen Bradshaw, yeoman, Simon Bradshaw, leather-dresser, and Benjamin Parker, blacksmith, on the one part, all of Medford, and reek. This was introductory to building the tidemill. Benjamin Parker gave the land on which the mill was built,--thirty-one feet long, and twenty-five wide. John Willis and Benjamin Parker gave liberty to the undertakers to cut a ditch from Gravelly Creek to the mill, and to build a dam. Dr. Tufts, John Willis, Samuel Page, ThoJohn Willis, Samuel Page, Thomas Oakes, and Nathaniel Hall, bind themselves never to obstruct the free flow of water to the mill. The undertakers then bind themselves to erect a good gristmill on the spot of land above mentioned; and said mill shall be ready to go at or before the last day of September next. As guaranty for each party, they bind themselves i
lson0100094011 Samuel Wade01000192069 John Tufts0000156000 Stephen Willis, jun.0100170090 John Willis01400150080 Thomas Dill01000111039 Nathaniel Hall100046000 Thomas Willis, jun.0100060060 B Captain Samuel Wade0600176030 Thomas Tufts, Esq.0000184047 Mr. Peter Seccombe0900140094 Mr. John Willis0300168067 Lieutenant Stephen Hall0300140034 Deacon Thomas Hall0300122028 Deacon Thomas Wa committee, to join with the selectmen, to view some land offered by Mr. Aaron Cleavland and John Willis, for the enlargement of the burying-place near Mistick Bridge; and bring in a report to the tfor the use aforesaid. This passed in the affirmative; and the selectmen, Captain Tufts, Deacon Willis, Deacon Whitmore, Ensign Francis, Captain Brooks, and Ensign Hall, were appointed the commitwhen the town passed the following vote:-- That the town will give Mr. Aaron Cleavland and John Willis, for a small parcel of land, for an addition to the burying-place, lying betwixt Mistick Rive
, 1685; d. Dec. 15, 1688.  28John, b. Apr. 11, 1688.  29Jonathan, b. Feb. 6, 1690.  30Rebecca, b. Oct. 16, 1694; m. John Willis, Apr. 17, 1717.  31Samuel, b. Apr. 29, 1697; m. Elizabeth Sweetson, Mar. 28, 1723.  32Persis, b. May 2, 1700; m. J. athan, b. Mar. 5, 1681.  12Samuel, b. Dec. 31, 1683.  13Anne, b. Oct. 7, 1685.  14Dorothy, b. Mar. 12, 1687; m. Jona. Willis, Oct. 17, 1706. 1-4Thomas Wade, of Ipswich, m. Elizabeth Cogswell, 1670; and d. Oct. 4, 1696, leaving--  4-15Jonathan. 5, 1756.   A Captain Stephen Mills, possibly same as above, had by wife Mary, son (34) Stephen, b. Nov. 20, 1758.  35John Willis, probably a near relative of Thomas (2) and Stephen (3), m. Esther, or Hester----, and had--  35-36John, b. Sept. 5, , 1705. 3-11?John, possibly same as (3-11), and Mary Willis, had dau. Mary, d. Feb. 3, 1719, aged 5.   Mary, wife of John Willis, d. Feb. 12, 1716, aged 27 years 10 months.   The foregoing are all that can be found on our Medford record
. Page 558.Jonathan Wade (No. 1) had Mary, baptized October, 1663, who married William Symonds; also daughter Sarah. Prudence (No. 5) married, second, Rev. Seaborn Cotton. Page 558.Jonathan (No. 1-2) had Deborah, baptized March 24, 1667; Prudence, June 6, 1669; Catharine, Aug. 27, 1671,--died soon; Catharine, June 22, 1673; Susanna, June 10, 1677; Dorothy, July 10, 1681; all before Dudley (No. 2-8). Page 563.Technically, Bedford was a precinct of Billerica when John Whitmore resided there. Page 568.I am authorized to say that John Willis was very probably the same as No. 3-11. note.--The compiler desires to offer his thanks to the following gentlemen for valuable aid in pursuing his investigations: to Dr. Booth and Dean Dudley, Esq., for the Tufts; to Rev. A. H. Quint, for the Halls; to T. B. Wyman, jun., for the Wymans, and others; and, finally, to Hon. James Savage, for very many facts and corrections throughout the whole extent of this Register. Boston, Oct. 8, 1855.
1 2 3 4