hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War. 65 11 Browse Search
James Russell Soley, Professor U. S. Navy, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.1, The blockade and the cruisers (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 57 1 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 1. 39 1 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4. 22 4 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2. 21 1 Browse Search
Daniel Ammen, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.2, The Atlantic Coast (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 20 2 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore) 18 2 Browse Search
James Barnes, author of David G. Farragut, Naval Actions of 1812, Yank ee Ships and Yankee Sailors, Commodore Bainbridge , The Blockaders, and other naval and historical works, The Photographic History of The Civil War: in ten volumes, Thousands of Scenes Photographed 1861-65, with Text by many Special Authorities, Volume 6: The Navy. (ed. Francis Trevelyan Miller) 10 0 Browse Search
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Massachusetts in the Army and Navy during the war of 1861-1865, vol. 2 9 3 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore) 9 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 314 results in 46 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5
rrimac's twenty-two, she not only possessed superior mobility, but might run where the Merrimac could not follow. When, therefore, at eight o'clock on Sunday, March 9, the Merrimac again came into Hampton Roads to complete her victory, Lieutenant John L. Worden, commanding the Monitor, steamed boldly out to meet her. Then ensued a three hours naval conflict which held the breathless attention of the active participants and the spectators on ship and shore, and for many weeks excited the wox, the little vessel, obedient to her rudder, easily glided out of the line of direct impact. Each ship passed through occasional moments of danger, but the long three hours encounter ended without other serious damage than an injury to Lieutenant Worden by the explosion of a rebel shell against a crevice of the Monitor's pilot-house through which he was looking, which, temporarily blinding his eyesight, disabled him from command. At that point the battle ended by mutual consent. The Moni
Delawarians had of the enemy's position on near approach, was the whistling of a projectile through the woods and underbrush. Captain Watson then threw up a temporary defence of brushwood and earth, after advancing to an eligible position, and sent back for reinforcements. General Mansfield, accompanied by three companies of the New York Twentieth, Col. Max Weber, proceeded to the relief of the Delaware troops. A flag of truce from Norfolk to-day brought to Fortress Monroe, Va., Lieut. Worden, U. S. N., who was taken prisoner while bearing despatches to Fort Pickens at the breaking out of hostilities, and imprisoned at Montgomery, Alabama, for some time. He was exchanged for Lieut. Short, of the rebel army, who was taken at Hatteras Inlet, and had been confined on the frigate Congress at Newport News.--National Intelligencer, Nov. 21. The United States gunboat Penobscot, built at Belfast, Me., by Messrs. C. P. Carter and Co., was launched to-day.--Baltimore American, No
hardships which he undergoes than is now allowed by the pay regulations. And when it is further considered that many of them are poor, with dependent families to support, and that provisions and clothing of every description have largely increased in price, it will be universally admitted, we think, that their pay should be increased. For these and many other reasons, we think the Confederate Congress, when it reassembles, will promptly raise the pay of the private soldier. Lieutenant John L. Worden, of the U. S. Navy, who had been seven months a prisoner in the South, arrived at Washington.--(Doc. 204.) To-day Drake De Kay, aide-de-camp to General Mansfield, accompanied by Major Sharfp, Captain Hellerer and Capt. Breck, left Fortress Monroe, Va., with a party of about forty men. They had not travelled long before they met with a body of the Prince Edward Cavalry, twenty-five to thirty in number, about a mile beyond New Market. De Kay had not more than a dozen men, the b
not keep liquor out of your mouth, it may cause you to be hung for treason. Both prisoners were turned over to the confederate authorities.--Richmond Examiner, February 28. Mr. Ericsson's iron-clad steamer the Monitor, went to sea from New York, to-day, for some unknown destination. Mr. Ericsson is on board, and desires to test the invulnerability of his ship by engaging the strongest battery of the enemy which can be got at. The Monitor carries only two eleven-inch columbiads. Lieut. Worden, who commands the battery, is an officer of great experience and tried courage, and the sailors and gunners are picked men. In the rebel Senate, at Richmond, Va., A. B. Hill and J. J. Pettigrew, were confirmed as Brigadier-Generals. A resolution was unanimously passed to entertain no peace propositions excluding any portion of the soil of any of the Confederate States, and declaring that the war be continued until the enemy be expelled entirely from the Confederacy. In the Uni
field, Mo., was visited by a party of the Sixty-eighth Missouri militia, under the command of Colonel James Lindsay, and a large number of rebel guerrillas were driven out of the town, with a loss of fifty-two prisoners, seventy horses with their trappings, and nearly one hundred stand of arms. The Unionists met with no loss.--Col. Lindsay's Despatch. Fort McAllister, on Genesis Point, Great Ogeechee River, Ga., was attacked by the ironclad monitor Montauk, under the command of Captain John L. Worden, three gunboats, and a mortar-schooner, but after a bombardment of many hours' duration, they failed to reduce it.--Savannah News. A. D. Boileau, the proprietor of the Philadelphia Evening Journal, was this day arrested by order of the National Government and taken to Washington.--An enthusiastic Union demonstration took place at Fayetteville, Ark.--Captain Williamson of General Weitzel's brigade, had a fight with a small body of rebel troops at Indian Village, on Bayou Plaquemi
f at Rover, a little village on the Shelbyville and Nolensville road, eighteen miles from the former town. A brief hand-to-hand sabre fight ensued, which terminated in the complete rout of the rebels, who left on the field twelve killed, about the same number of wounded, and lost three hundred prisoners. A few of the Union soldiers were wounded, but they did not lose a man.--Louisville Journal. The arrest of deserters in Morgan County, Indiana, being resisted, Colonel Carrington, commander of the National forces at Indianapolis, sent a squadron of cavalry to oppose the resistance. The cavalry were met and fired on by the mob, when they charged, dispersing the rioters and capturing six citizens and the deserters.--The Senate of the United States passed a resolution tendering a vote of thanks to Commander J. L. Worden, for good conduct in the fight between the Monitor and Merrimac, in March, 1862.--A body of National troops, under General Jeff. C. Davis, entered Shelbyville, Tenn.
be held responsible for the safe delivery of the confederate soldiers thus assigned, on the penalty of the forfeiture of their property and personal liberty.--General Mitchell's Order. The second attack on Fort McAllister at Genesis Point, Ga., was made this day, resulting in the retirement of the National fleet without any material damage to the rebels, except killing Major John B. Gallie, the commander of the rebel forces. The National iron-clad Montauk, under the command of Commander J. L. Worden, occupied the advance position in the engagement and received sixty-one shots, retiring without a man injured. Franklin, Tenn., was this day occupied by the National forces, under the command of Colonel Robert Johnson. The rebel General Forrest and staff narrowly escaped, while one of his captains and two men were captured. The Nationals lost one man killed.--The Legislature of North-Carolina adopted a series of resolutions, vindicating the loyalty of the State to the rebel go
lete the work of destruction, our defence consisted, not in the great ships that were still afloat and their numerous heavy guns, but in a single small iron-clad vessel, armed with two guns. History has recorded the courage and skill of Commander John L. Worden, who, disappearing in the smoke of the advancing fleet, dispersed and put to flight their wooden steamers, turned at bay the Merrimac, grappled with that formidable monster, and drove her back into Norfolk, and kept her there until the ehe vision of a sinking ram. When the picket returned, it was about five o'clock A. M., and hardly had they bunked, before the Atlanta was seen coming down the river some three miles distant. She was coming at a rapid rate, and was followed by two Worden gunboats. No time was to be lost, and the monitors were ready for action in less time than I can describe it. Owing to its being flood-time the monitors were not bow on that is, their sterns were toward the Atlanta, and it was necessary for pr
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., Minor operations of the South Atlantic squadron under Du Pont. (search)
ont desired to give the monitors a preliminary trial, and for this purpose the Montauk, Commander John L. Worden, was sent to attack Fort McAllister, on the Great Ogeechee River. A line of obstructiotion in tearing up the parapets, but the Confederates, by constantly moving their guns, thwarted Worden's attempts to disable them. The Montauk was struck by heavy projectiles forty-six times, but stled out of range. Her movements were closely watched, however, and late on the 27th of February Worden discovered that she had run aground a short distance above the barrier. Waiting until the next morning (28th), in order that he might have daylight for the work, Worden steamed up as close to the barrier as he thought it safe to go. From this point, directly under a hot fire from the fort, to wr upper works were visible across the intervening neck of land. Obtaining the range accurately, Worden opened upon her with his two guns, the 11-inch and the 15-inch, and the exploding shells soon se
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., The early monitors. (search)
by which this well-appointed privateer was destroyed, just on the eve of commencing a series of depredations in imitation of the Alabama, must be regarded as a feat which has no parallel in naval annals. The commander of the Montauk, now Rear-Admiral Worden, having received stringent orders to prevent the Nashville from going to sea, devised a plan for destroying the privateer (then occupying a safe position beyond the torpedo obstruction on the Ogeechee River), by means of the 15-inch shellsess of the daring plan of not returning the concentrated flanking fire from the fort while shelling the privateer depended on the power of endurance of the Montauk, then for the first time subjected to such a crucial test. The result proved that Worden had not over-estimated the resisting power of his vessel. The fifth shell had scarcely reached its destination when signs of serious damage on board the privateer were observed; a few additional shells being dispatched, a volume of black smoke w
1 2 3 4 5