hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22. 5 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24. 4 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29. 4 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 13 results in 7 document sections:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., History told by names of streets. (search)
lege field has migrated to the acres in the form of the concrete block foundations. Some store-building syndicate has erected its structure on Main street, and the Church Extension Society located on a strategic point the temporary chapel of St. John's Church. Across the way, where once was Isaac Royall's farmhouse, not many years since was the Mystic trotting park. Blocks of stores, garage and dwellings now line its new streets. These bear the names of former proprietors and turfmen — Wright, Willis, Bonner, Golden and Trott. Hicks avenue leads to the later Combination park and perpetuates its projector's name. Dexter street recalls a former owner, and in the corner of the city are another owner's children's names — Joseph, Lewis, Edward and Henry. Away back in 1845 Edward Hastings and Samuel Teel laid out the land on either side High street from the Woburn road to the Lowell railroad. A plan of the same has recently come to the Historical Society on which one reads, offe
may be found a view and description of same; also in an earlier issue of the Medford Mercury. In the reports of Metropolitan Park Commission are maps showing its various takings in Medford along the river and in the rocky woodland of the Fells. On the latter, various localities like old silver mine and others are shown, but we look in vain thereon for the Od Man of the Fells (Register, Vol. XV, frontispiece). To the Water Department report (1893) is attached a map of the vicinity of Wright's pond. We thought we saw on this, at the proper location, the words Indian Profile, but a reading glass only showed the same to be but topographical shading marks. Later reports contain half-tones, showing the dam and water tower in construction; and on page 200 of Medford Reports, 1898, is a fine view of the completed works, which were for a time the high service of Medford's water system, now a thing of the past and partially removed. The town records show that as long ago as 1738 a
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., Medford committee on Public Safety. (search)
entire country sprang into activity, and entered eagerly into ways and means for preparedness. The nation went into one vast committee of the whole, subdivided into national, state, city, town, village, and hamlet branches. These organizations bore the expressive and comprehensive title of Committee on Public Safety. Medford's committee was organized in April, 1917. The general committee was composed of three hundred and twenty-five members, with an executive committee of nine. Mr. Irwin O. Wright was elected chairman and much of the successful work of the committee has been due to his wise patience and tactful judgment. The following sub-committees were created: finance, co-ordination of aid societies, food production and conservation, publicity, hygiene and medicine, transportation, home guard, recruiting. All work is done under the following declaration: The declared purpose is to serve the people of Medford in all matters incident to the war that do not come within th
ain his single dwelling house, and did even before the present inflated cost began. Turning from these to others we allude to the steel trestle of the Radio Corporation on College hill. But four feet square, it is three hundred feet high and held in position by several guys. It is to be hoped that it never may become a menace to travelers or the locality. Another tower, of little beauty, but for a time of some utility, was the water tower for high service, erected at Elm street, near Wright's pond, as auxiliary to the Medford water supply. It was a cylindrical structure of iron boiler plate, into which the water of the pond was pumped for a few years, and was approximately fifty feet high. Its use was discontinued and it was taken down when the city's supply was taken over by the Metropolitan Commission. There are two observation towers in Medford, one of private ownership, the other of municipal. The latter is the circular stone tower in the park at Hastings Heights. It
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24., Medford Historical Society. (search)
Jr. Ernest B. Moore. Grace M. Moore. Warren T. Morse. Frances W. McGill. Frank L. Mason. Thomas H. Norton. Winthrop I. Nottage. Joseph E. Ober. George W. Parsons. Joseph W. Phinney. Life Member. Priscilla C. Phinney. Melvin W. Pierce. S. U. Prescott. Life Member. Edward S. Randall. George H. Remele. Thomas C. Richards, Rev. Percy W. Richardson. Harriet J. Russell. William J. Reilly. Mary E. Reilly. Walter E. Richardson. Elisha J. Sampson. George T. Sampson. Henry E. Scott. Harriet A. C. Scott. Herbert F. Staples. Henry P. Stanwood. Emeline M. Stearns. Katherine H. Stone. Amelia M. Symmes. Charles S. Taylor. Lizzie E. Taylor. Abby E. Teel. Charles H. Tinkham. Leonard Tufts. Life Member. Frank G. Volpe. Hendrik Vossema, Rev. William Cushing Wait. Life Member. Mary L. Washburn. Helen T. Wild. E. Josephine Wilcox. J. D. P. Wingate. Helen Wingate. William H. Winkley Irwin O. Wright. Life Member. Christine Warner.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Medford Historical Society. (search)
Means. Mrs. Mabel W. Meloon. Joseph C. Miller, Jr. Ernest B. Moore. Mrs. Grace M. Moore. Winthrop I. Nottage. Joseph E. Ober. Miss Edith R. Orne. George W. Parsons. Life MemberJoseph W. Phinney. Mrs. Priscilla C. Phinney. Charles H. Phinney. Melvin W. Pierce. Life MemberMrs. Mary Gertrude Prescott, Lexington. George H. Remele, Palo Alto, Cal. Walter J. Rhodes. Mrs. Hannah E. Rhodes. Percy W. Richardson. Leroy H. Robbins. Henry E. Scott. Mrs. Harriet A. C. Scott. Miss Rhoda C. Slate. Miss Hila Helen Small. Herbert F. Staples. Miss Katharine H. Stone. Miss Abby E. Teel, Saugus. Life MemberLeonard Tufts, Pinehurst, N. C. Frank G. Volpe. Life MemberHon. William Cushing Wait. Harry E. Walker. Miss Mary L. Washburne. F. Irving Weston. Mrs. Cora F. Weston. Miss E. Josephine Wilcox. Miss Helen T. Wild. Dr. Samuel H. Wilkins. J. D. P. Wingate. Mrs. Helen Wingate. William H. Winkley. Life MemberIrwin O. Wright. A. Chesley York.
rn cities. O'er these historic hills the native Indian trod, and to this day they have retained their primitive allure. Wild life is indeed depleted, yet varieties of game birds and small animals abound. One may dispel the jaded feeling acquired through city life by idling time away to the harmony of song birds and the whisperings of trees caressed of breezes. Let the pedestrian stroll through silent, shady glens past the Panther Cave and the Stone Face to the rush-bordered depths of Wright's pond; or wend his way along the reservoir to Spot pond with its attractive zoo. He may view these three waters while they are serene under a cloudless sky or tossing in white-capped rage when lashed by the wind-driven rain. Brooks there are, which take their murmuring course through fern-grown bottom lands or rush in miniature cascades down the rocky steeps, later to ripple gently toward the waters of the Mystic. Motorist and pedestrian have access to excellent observatories, one at B