hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 58 results in 51 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, STADIUM DOMITIANI (search)
or the place of its celebration (Lydus, de mens. iv. 30; Cf. also Isid. Orig. xviii. 25. Pr. Reg. 171). There was also a church of S. Nicolas de Agone (HCh 389-that of S. Caterina de cryptis agonis (cf. Arm. 388) never existed). The Piazza Navona, the largest in the city, now called officially Circo Agonale, preserves almost exactly the shape and size of the stadium. The piazza itself corresponds closely with the arena, the length of which seems to have been about 250 metres, and the surrounding buildings stand on the ruins of the cavea. Under the church of S. Agnese remains of brick and concrete walls, travertine pilasters and the seats of the cavea are still to be seen, and other traces have been found beneath the existing buildings at other points. For excavations in the sixteenth century, see LS ii. 228-231; iii. 224-225; iv. 190; LR 498-500; HJ 592-594. For the obelisk of Domitian which was erected there in 651, see OBELISCI ISEI CAMPENSIS (4). Cf. also Mem. L. 5. xvii. 521.
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE AGRIPPAE (search)
y the destruction of the building was well under way, and that its marble was burned into lime is shown by the name Calcararium, applied to the immediate vicinity somewhat later (Mirabilia 23; Jord. ii. 439; LS i. 25). They are, however, mentioned as Thermae Commodianae in Eins. 1. 4; 2. 4; 4. 8; 8. 6. The general plan of these thermae is known from a fragment of the Marble Plan found in 1900 (NS 1900, 633-634; BC 1901, 3-19; LS ii. 209; Mitt. 1905, 75); from drawings and plans of the sixteenth century (NS 1882, 347-351) when much of the structure was still standing-three 519,/PAGE> in particular, one of Baldassare Peruzzi (Uffizi 456 Uffizi 456, 642 =Hulsen, Thermen des Agrippa, pi. v.; fig. 6=Bartoli, Monumenti di Roma ii. pl. 175; ii. pl. 393. ; Geymiuller, Documents inedits sur les thermes d'Agrippa, Lausanne 1883; NS 1882, pl. xxi.), a second of Palladio in the Devonshire collection (port. ix.f. 14; Rossi's edition of the Terme dei Romani, Vicenza 1797, pl. ii.; BC 1901, pi.
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE ANTONINIANAE (CARACALLAE) (search)
column in the xystus resting on a mass of debris; see BASILICA AEMILIA). The name occurs in Eins. (11. 2; 13. 25) and under various forms (palatium Antonianum, l'Antoniana, etc.) right through the Middle Ages. Discovery and destruction went hand in hand under Paul III (LS passim; DAP 2. xv. 369). The colossal group of the Farnese Bull, and the large statues of Hercules and Flora which were found in his pontificate, are now all in the Museum at Naples. After the important studies of sixteenth century architects, no great progress was made until the publication of Blouet's Restauration des thermes d'Antonin Caracalla (Paris 1828), which gives the results of Velo's excavations. Iwanoff studied the ruins in 1847-49, but his results were only published in 1898, with text by Hulsen (Aus den Caracallathermen, Berlin 1898). Important excavations have been made since in the main building (for a summary up to 1897, see LR 535-543), and, in 1901 and 1911, in its subterranean service and dr
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE CONSTANTINIANAE (search)
space between the vicus Longus, the Alta Semita, the clivus Salutis and the vicus laci Fundani, and as this was on a side-hill, it was necessary to make an artificial level, beneath which the ruins of houses of the second, third and fourth centuries have been found (BC 1876, 102-106; cf. also DOMUS T. AVIDII QUIETI (b), MUCIANI). Because of these peculiar conditions these thermae differed in plan from all others in the city. Enough of the structure was standing at the beginning of the sixteenth century to permit of plans and drawings by the architects of that period, and these are the chief sources of our knowledge of the building (see especially Serlio, Architettura iii. 92; Ed. 1550; in those of 1544 and 1562 the reference is iii. 88. In all these thermae are wrongly ascribed to Titus. Palladio, Le Terme, pl. xiv.; Duperac, Vestigii, pl. 32; LS iii. 196-197; Ant. van den Wyngaerde, BC 1895, pls. vi.-xiii.; HJ 439, n. 131). The remains were almost entirely destroyed in 1605-1621,
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE DIOCLETIANI (search)
secting vault divided into three bays; the four columns of grey granite on each side do not support the vault, but are purely ornamental. The four smaller rooms at the angles may havc served for cold baths, as there is no trace of heating; while between them, on the minor axis, there was access to the frigidarium on the north-east and to the circular tepidarium (now the vestibule of the church) and the rectangular caldarium, which projected south- westwards, and though extant in the sixteenth century is now destroyed; see DuP 127. On the major axis, on the south-west, there was an approach at each end through two rectangular halls (on each side of which were others) to the palaestrae, one at each end of the main block on each side of the frigidarium, a hall containing a huge shallow bathing pool, which was open to the air; its north wall, elaborately decorated with niches, is still in great part preserved; see Piranesi, Vedute di Roma, No. 115 Hind, and 111. 53. On each side of
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE HELENAE (search)
s inscription of course records only a restoration, and there is no actual occurrence of the name thermae Helenae. In 1907 a fragmentary inscription was discovered in the cloister of S. Croce in Gerusalemme which contained a list of distinguished men of the time of Maximian, with certain sums opposite their names, and it has been conjectured that this may be a list of men who made voluntary contributions to construct the baths which Helena afterwards restored (BC 1907, 114-121). In the sixteenth century much more of the building was standing, and we have plans then drawn by Palladio (Devonshire collection; Terme dei Romani, ed. Rossi, Vicenza, 1797, pl. xvii. reproduced in BC 1896, 238) and by Antonio da Sangallo the younger (Uffizi, 1439; cf. LF 31, 32). On the north-east side of the thermae are the ruins of a piscina, fed probably by the aqua Alexandrina, with vaulted chambers, in one of which was a church during the Middle Ages with painted walls (Mitt. 1892, 273; see also HJ 247;
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE NERONIANAE (search)
. Reg. Farf. passim, cited by HCh 212:aecclesia S. Benedicti, quae est aedificata in thermis Alexandrinis, and S. Maria de Thermis, ib. 326-327). These baths For a library here, see THERMAE AGRIPPAE (p. 519). occupied a rectangular area extending from the north-west corner of the Pantheon to the stadium of Domitian (Piazza Navona), an area of about 190 by 120 metres, and fronted north. Nothing now remains above ground except portions of walls built into the Palazzo Madama, but in the sixteenth century the foundations of the caldarium were still visible, extending out from the middle of the south side (Palladio, ed. Vicenza 1787, pis. 3, 6; cf. Antonio da Sangallo the younger, Uffizi 949, Bartoli, Monumenti di Roma iii. 300. 1634; cod. Barb. Lat. 4333, if. 13, 14, 28, 29; Giovannoli, Roma antica iii. pls. 8, 9; the latter is reproduced in Ill. 55; for a reconstruction, Canina Ed. iv. p. 201). The concrete, wherever visible, belongs to the time of Nero (AJA 1912, 406). The frigidari
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE TITI (search)
n the precinct of Nero's DOMUS AUREA (q.v.) (Mart. Spect. 2: hic ubi miramur velocia munera thermas abstulerat miseris tecta superbus ager), but no actual buildings of the domus seem to have been removed to make room for them. In 238 A.D. some restoration was evidently contemplated (Hist. Aug. Max. et Balb. I), and incidental references to them occur in Martial (iii. 20. 15; 36. 6) and in later inscriptions (CIL vi. 9797 =AL 29. 4; IG xiv. 956 B 15 :para\ ta\s *titiana/s). Early in the sixteenth century Julius II brought to the Vatican a large granite basin, which had been seen on the site of these thermae in 1450; it was buried in 1565 by Pius IV, but dug up again by Paul V, Cf. Orbaan, Documenti sul Barocco, 302; the inscriptions set up by Paul V are given by De Angelis, S. Maria Maggiore, appendix, 6. and still stands in the Cortile di Belvedere (PBS ii. 26; HJ 308; Jahrb. d. Inst. 1890, 59). Later on, a basin of porphyry was found here and given by Ascanio Colonna to Julius III.
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, THERMAE TRAIANI (search)
illaria) were exposed for sale in the porticus of the thermae in the last days of the Saturnalia (which were sometimes called Sigillaria from this practice; see SIGILLARIA) (Schol. ad Iuv. 6. 154); they are mentioned incidentally in inscriptions (vi. 9797=AL 29. 4; 8677, 8678); and in the fourth or fifth century they were adorned with statues by Iulius Felix Campanianus, prefect of the city (CIL vi. 1670). The correct name was attached to the gradually diminishing ruins until about the sixteenth century, when it was displaced by the incorrect name, thermae Titianae. Part of these baths is represented on a fragment of the Marble Plan (109; cf. Lanciani quoted by Gatti, BC 1886, 272-274), and in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries drawings and plans were made of the existing ruins-the most important being those in the Destailleur collection in Berlin In the Kunstgewerbemuseum (Jessen in Aus der Anomia (1890), 14 sqq.). (cf. Mitt. 1892, 302-304; HJ 313, n. 72). By the end of the ei
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, AD URSUM PILEATUM (search)
es of SS. Faustinus, Simplicius, and Beatrix from the cemetery of Generosa (also on the Via Portuensis) to a church of S. Paul close to S. Bibiana, not far from the Porta Tiburtina, which he founded (LPD i. 361, n. g; HCh 415). Here, in the sixteenth century, Bosio (Roma Sotterranea, lib. iii. c. 66, p. 585) read an inscription, which began as follows, ' anno domini ... mense Octobris dedicatione(m) huius eccl(esia)e s(an)c(t)or(um) martir(um) Simplicii Faustini et Beatricis ad cimeterium Ursi Pileati iuxta forma(m) Claudii an(te) po(r)ta(m) Taurinam quam primus [sic] Leo papa maxima devotione ... fecit.' This shows that the name had wrongly been transferred to this district in the Middle Ages and by the topographers of the sixteenth century (cf. CIL vi. 3403*). For a statue of a bear wearing a helmet, which is said to have been found by Bernini when rebuilding the church of S. Bibiana, see Baldinucci, Vita del Bernini; Adinolfi, Roma nell' eta di mezzo, i. 282; Arm. 804-806; T. vi
1 2 3 4 5 6